Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK, I now know this is a decel relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sszakats
A crusty kapitan informed me that this is a decel relay on my 76. Can someone tell me where it should be mounted? It is floating around under my battery tray right now and I'd like to secure it where it belongs. Thanks.

Click to view attachment
ericread
I apologize for the following post in advance. I am celebrating election night with a very special friend... Makers Mark...

"OK, I now know this is a decel relay, but where should it be mounted?"

Not sure. I mounted a tire once... damn I was sore the next day. lol3.gif

Eric Read
Cap'n Krusty
It mounts to the battery tray. If your's has been replaced, there may not be a hole for the screw. If you need to drill a hole, use a clip on type speed nut and a sheet metal screw of an appropriate size. The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 4 2008, 08:34 PM) *

It mounts to the battery tray. If your's has been replaced, there may not be a hole for the screw. If you need to drill a hole, use a clip on type speed nut and a sheet metal screw of an appropriate size. The Cap'n

Oh Sensei master....
What does this thing do? how does it work?

rich
blitZ
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 4 2008, 08:49 PM) *

What does this thing do? how does it work?

I think it does something with emissions. So like the rest of my emission items on my 76, I removed it. Haven't missed it since.
type47
i will also ask the advice of the krusty one. i've never heard of a decel relay. at first, i thought maybe you have a dual relay (battery tray location and silver) but your 76 should not have an L-jet component.
JeffBowlsby
It is not a decel relay...there is a circuit in there

biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Yup, The Cap'n was wrong. It happens, and I apologize for the misinformation. It still goes where I said it goes. The Cap'n
r_towle
But what is it?
And how does it work?
Geoff said its a governor of some sort??? So it goes in the ignition circuit?

Rich
blitZ
I believe it is part of the injection system and shuts off fuel at a certain rpm.
Dave_Darling
It works by interrupting (or overriding?) the signals from the FI trigger points on a D-jet motor. No trigger point signals, no injection. No injection, no fuel. No fuel, no acceleration.

And it doesn't dump raw fuel into the exhaust to burn up the catalyst, the way a spark cut (like the earlier 2.0s) does.

--DD
ClayPerrine
agree.gif

It is a rev limiter that works on the fuel, not the ignition.

Earlier 2.0 engines had a rev limiting rotor that cut the spark off. but this caused too much raw fuel to dump into the exhaust. Adding a Cat on the 75 -76 cars in California made them rethink the rev limiter. This box does exactly the same thing as the rev limiting rotor, but it cuts fuel instead of spark.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.