Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any opthomologists in the house?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Can you remove scar tissue on an eye with laser surgery?
I got some welding slag in my eye (my good eye, the other is legally blind) and it left a scar.

Thanks,
sean
Joe Bob
What part of the eye?

BTW....with only one eye, ya might want to consider the use of another human being for the welding.....don't wanna see ya with a read tipped cane. If I ever lost my eyesight I would swallow my 9mm..... welder.gif
seanery
I dunno what part of the eye, I can only see the scar tissue from the inside out. wacko.gif blink.gif It looks like a slight haze when I focus up close.
Hawk
spelled
ophthalmologist
ne
eye doctor smoke.gif
URY914
Purple haze...where's Miles?
Joe Bob
If you can see it against a light background....it's called a floater.....nothing can be done.....I got tons of them.
seanery
I notice it most when I'm on the computer. That seems to be the focal distance most affected.
Joe Bob
Do the spot(s) move with the eye laterally and tend to move slower than the eye then center themselves?
URY914
you said "...floater..." happy11.gif

Paul
seanery
can't answer that question. My first response would say its always in the same location, but I can't say definitely.
Joe Bob
Swing your eyes back in forth like you are following a set of boobs marching across the screen without turning your head....if the blob follows and looks like it lags when you stop your eye movement, it's a floater....

Better yet, go see an eye doctor....he'll give you some big words and probably make more sense than me.... blink.gif

.05 cents please....
Lucy Van Pelt
ChrisReale
.....no, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Sean, Eye surgery has come a long way in the last decade... That said, take care of your eyes. One of your eyeballs is legally blind? How the hell do you drive?
seanery
Depth perception is different for me I guess. I've got, shit, CRS, but that's not the thing. Anyway, it's a condition that is treatable until 10-12 years of age. We didn't fix it. My eye doc when I was a kid (Dr. Quigly) was a quack!

I drive fine, but hitting a baseball from a pitcher who has any speed is just a guess for me. Oh, and those old 3d movies, nothing but a reddish glare.

I can't imagine not being able to see, and losing the left eye would mean I'm done. No work, no drive, nothing. So, I wanna see if I can get this taken care of.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 10 2004, 09:12 PM)
Swing your eyes back in forth like you are following a set of boobs marching across the screen without turning your head....

mikez,

Could you provide us with a visual training aid?

Sean.....go see a doc!
Joe Bob
Let's see if this works....
djm914-6
The technology they have these days is pretty amazing. My spep-father was one of the first people in the country to have lazer surgery. It was amazing to see the difference in his vision. Then again, his problem was much different than yours.

As to Mikey's comment about the 9mm... My dad did more as a visually impaired person than most fully functional people I know. From Downhill skiing (black dimonds) and rock climbing to international sailing regatas. Eyes are important, but their not everything. Learning braile can be fun... Hmmm is that an A or a C?

Edit for Mikey's pic: Naw, must be a D laugh.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 10 2004, 09:45 PM)
Let's see if this works....

wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

....are those dots I'm seein'?

wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif
URY914
I have poor eye sight. I need those things made bigger. wink.gif
redshift
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 10 2004, 09:47 PM)
Purple haze...where's Miles?

'Scuse me.. right here.

M
boxstr
Keep your eyes on the swaying boobs... http://www.fresonmagic.com/imagenes/metadoll_mj6.swf
CCLINLO
boxstr
Okay Sean now email a freind of mine an Opthamologist, Dr Ken Garchow at drkgar@msn.com ask him any questions and tell him I sent you.
CCLINTHEDOCTORSIN
rhodyguy
popeye, i don't get why you would take the chance of ruining your one good eye. farm out the welding. please.

kevin
seanery
Kevin, things happen. I had safety glasses on, too. I'm not gonna live my life in fear, but I'm not gonna stick weld either. MIG or TIG from now on.

THANKS CRAIG! I just emailed your Dr. friend.
need4speed
See an eye doctor - for sure.

Just curious, if you really did burn your eye with welding slag, then your cornea might be what's damaged. if you look at your eye, from the outside, close up, in a mirror, right at the pupil, does the shiny smooth surface have any distortion or ripples on it?

If the cornea is scarred, I'm not sure if they can fix that, maybe with lasik, since that process burns the outer layers of the cornea, and leaves a reshaped surface underneath.
But if you burned your cornea - I'm guessing that would have really hurt like a sonofabitch.

On the other hand - if this just happened recently, it's possible that your eye is just a little swollen, and over time, the swelling might go down, and the eye will heal.

But wow - see an eye doctor.
seanery
This happened in March or April of last year. I just started noticing the area in late summer/fall.
bernbomb914
I ve had cateract surgery on both eyes. This might be the same type of problem. see your eye Dr. they can do wonders now and it is quick and painless.

Bernie
Britain Smith
Since we are on the topic of eye surgeries...here is mine. (Short Version)

I was snowboarding with my brother (bit of racing) and in order to avoid a small child in front of me I lost control and wiped out, slamming my head into the ground. I was out for a good 5 mins and when I awoke, I signed a release forms from a ski patrol and snowboarded down the face of the mountain at full speed without remembering a bit. At the bottom, I collapsed and the next thing I remember was waking up in the ambulance driving through the mountains to the nearest hospital. I was all duck-taped down and stuff. I ended up with a bad concussion and released.

That night, we were out eating and I went to the restroom to blow my nose. I came out with a huge puffed up eyelid sticking out about 2 inches. It was later determined that I have a blown orbital bone which supports the tissue and muscle mass known as your eyeball. The muscle was sticking on the factured piece and not allowing my eye to move up and down all the way. THe body has a built-in safety device to aviod your eyeball from exploding when it has too much pressure.

Anyway, I went into surgery a few weeks later and they lifted my eyeball up out of the broken socket, pulled my eyelid back, and inserted a flat piece of nylon over the hole to allow the bone to heal and grow up under it. The piece of nylon cost $2500 and will stay there forever.

Here are some pics of the surgery that they tool while I was under the knike. The eye doctor was the team doctor for the Dallas Mavericks, Cowboys and Stars...he was really good and pretty cool.

Just thought I would share...
Britain Smith
Under the knife...
Jenny
That's a nice story, Britain. Right after lunch too. Yum. chowtime.gif

Jen
Gint
I have a video of my Lasik around here somewhere...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.