Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Triumph GT6 Mark III
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
I was thinking of getting into another project. I located this GT6, I think it's a Mark III, at a friends tow yard. Does anyone know anything about these cars? Do you think parts would be hard to come by? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
415PB
and another
Gint
Looks like a MarkIII Parts are readily available. Do a search on the board for TR6 We discussed that and threw out some vendor info a couple of weeks back.

Start here:

http://www.team.net/

jim912928
Hi, this is a Mark II not a Mark III. The Mark III has a more modern rear end. The GT6 has the engine from a TR6 and almost all the other components are from the Spitfire. Moss Motors is a great place for parts as they purchased alot of the dye's from british leyland. Here is a good info site for GT6's:

http://www.gt6man.freeserve.co.uk/

I owned alot of triumph's before porsches and the GT6 is one heck-of-a pocket rocket!
cgnj
Hi,

Had one. Nice motors. Lots of wheel lift in corners. Lucas electronics.

Carlos
thesey914
AFAIK unless the U.S. version was different the GT6 only has a 2.0 litre motor although it is, obviously, a six cylinder. The engine came from a triumph 2000. The TR6 is a 2.5 litre. They're not very fast and have leaf springs with a live rear axle. I like 'em though.
415PB
Engine
ChrisReale
QUOTE(cgnj @ Feb 10 2004, 06:53 PM)
Lucas electronics

Run...
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(415PB @ Feb 10 2004, 08:10 PM)
Does anyone know anything about these cars?

Thanks

I owned one too. wacko.gif

It does has a nice engine.....but unfortunately it puts about 200 lbs of extra Plowing weight on the front end. This is deftly augmented by a rear drop axle suspension that adds new meaning to the phrase "positive rear wheel camber" and "wild ass Oversteer"!

Any culture that can produce a car like this, has to have a great sense of humor. Which I've always thought the British had. beer.gif

HOWEVER, once these cars are properly modified......lookout! MDB2.gif
red914
back in 1986, i was the passenger in one when my friend, the driver, took out a nice, 180 lb doe that jumped onto the road from the right embankment. the gt did not win that engagement...
fiid
I used to have a spitfire, which is like a GT6 only with no roof and a smaller engine.

The GT6 has a pretty good engine in it, but it's heavier than Mueller's new mill, which means they understeer a bit.

The rear suspension IS AWFUL. It's just tragic that these things were built until 5 years after the 914 wasn't being made. The rear on GT6s has a rubber rotoflex joint, which I have heard are pretty bad (they fall apart).

I had my spit in the UK and it had less electrical problems than my 914 does. Your mileage may vary.

There is a weak point on the front suspension - the bottom of the stub axle carrier can break off and leave your chassis on the ground. Aside from that, the front suspension was actually one of the best around.

The chassis is a seperate backbone affair - the body is held on with about 6 bolts, which is not a problem, but chassis rot is a big something to look out for.

They do have tons of character and are fun to drive. They are low to the ground. The engine is by your feet, the shift knob connnects straight into the gearbox. If you can get one, get an overdrive unit with it - those things are hella cool - basically it's a planetary gearbox behind the main transmition. You flick a switch and the gearing gets taller, and you don't have to use the clutch. It only operates on 3rd and 4th (there is no 5th) so you go:

1 2 3 3O 4 4O

The overdrive is sort of like a half gear, so what you can do is just drive in 3 and 3O on a twisty road, and you don't have to use the clutch.

I had no end of fun in my spit, but I was an irresponsible 18yr old, it was my only car, and nothing really mattered. I blew loads of cash on keeping it running. Nearly wrecked it twice (nearly died in it) and sold it for a little more than I paid for it. It's utterly primative next to a 914 though.

Just my couple of cents. I wouldn't own one again. If you want something unreliable and british - I would recommend a Jag, or a Lotus.
fiid
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Feb 10 2004, 07:19 PM)
AFAIK unless the U.S. version was different the GT6 only has a 2.0 litre motor although it is, obviously, a six cylinder. The engine came from a triumph 2000. The TR6 is a 2.5 litre. They're not very fast and have leaf springs with a live rear axle. I like 'em though.

Actually - it's 1 leaf spring and halfshafts. The camber changes as the car rolls.

A live axle would be far preferable (marcos did it with alarming success)
HarveyH
I bought a 1969 GT6+ (US version of the Mk II) VIN KC50228L, new from Moomjean Triumph in Merced Ca when I was in the service. My first sports car driving.gif
The Mk II model went to double jointed half shafts in the rear suspension with a lower A-arm, but still used the transverse leaf spring as the upper arm. Supposedly with a light weight car this was not considered a major design problem. With increasing emission control requirements lowering available horsepower, and economic problems, the Mk III models went back to swing axels as a cost saving to keep the car in production.
The GT6 engine block is the same as the TR 250 / TR6 block, but only 2.0 liters instead of 2.5. Don't remember if it was bore, stroke, or both different. The fuel system used Stromberg side draft carbs, with the sliding piston similar to the SU. Mk I cars were fully adjustable, but to comply with the first emission control requirements, Mk II and later had fixed main jets and VERY little adjustability. I believe all of the GT6 cars are 1974 and earlier, so retrofitting the Mk I carbs, or Weber DCOE's shouldn't be a legal problem in those areas affected by such things.
The only real problems I had that were not the results of my screw-ups were:
After I had the car about 6 months I went to the base car hobby shop to change the oil, and found the transmission was almost empty. I added about 80% of listed capacity of new fluid and never had to do that again so I think it was missed at the factory and at the dealer prep. Had to have trans bearings and bushings done at about a year and a half. Ther other problem was that the hood louvers were right over the distributor and rain water would make it hard to start. I got a rubber distributor cover (they used to make such things for British {and other} cars) and Kryloned the cover and wires into place.

I think about having another one now and then, but I have a 914 instead mueba.gif

Harvey
DuckRyder
I always likes those (and MGB-GT too).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.