Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Missfire crazy rpms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jc914
Long story short last night toke out the car to South Beach b/c the night was nice and cool. I drove the car for like a total of about 2 hours. with no problems even toke the car up to 90MPH.

This morning i went to go fill her up with gas after i filled her up 10 minutes later the car starts to stutter heavily, from the exhaust it sounds like popping fireworks and gun shots fighting19.gif (missfiring). Finally the car stall. I waited about ten minutes and it started again with the same thing RPMs go up and down and she starts the sturring again. I had to keep her on first gear and at 10 MPH to get home.
Note> when i start the engine the rpms go up and down from 1-5 rpms.... and it will not idle

I am not a mechanic please help.........
sad.gif unsure.gif sad2.gif confused24.gif
blitZ
Perhaps, you got some bad gas.

Nothing personal.
So.Cal.914
Points and condenser or EI?
jc914
I have the pertronix ignitor ignition, it has never given me a problem. i will have to look it. The pertronix was installed like six years ago
ericread
QUOTE(jc914 @ Nov 6 2008, 08:04 AM) *

I have the pertronix ignitor ignition, it has never given me a problem. i will have to look it. The pertronix was installed like six years ago

My experience with Pertronix is that it's a go/no go type of product. I have never seen an intermittant or misfire situation with a Pertronix unit.

Eric Read
degreeoff
It may be the toke'n' that you be smokin... smoke.gif av-943.gif

sorry had to do it!

Most likely a ignition issue
I'd check to see if any wires are shortin out or just replace if you can....
Josh
jc914
I just fixed it. You guys will not believe what it was. I have an Ignition coil that has a resistor on top. one of the wires i believe it was the positive that goes to the coil resistor was totally loose. I re tighten the wire it it started up right away with a nice idle toke her out for a spin with no problem. Thanks for the info, you guys made me think to go look at the ignition system. Its time to order a Blue Bosch coil smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif rocking nana.gif

I have had the pertronix six years is it a good idea to get a new one
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(jc914 @ Nov 6 2008, 08:54 AM) *

I just fixed it. You guys will not believe what it was. I have an Ignition coil that has a resistor on top. one of the wires i believe it was the positive that goes to the coil resistor was totally loose. I re tighten the wire it it started up right away with a nice idle toke her out for a spin with no problem. Thanks for the info, you guys made me think to go look at the ignition system. Its time to order a Blue Bosch coil smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif rocking nana.gif

I have had the pertronix six years is it a good idea to get a new one

If it ain't broke...
SirAndy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 6 2008, 10:54 AM) *

If it ain't broke...

agree.gif

They either work or they don't. However, it's a very good idea to have a spare set of real points or a spare pertronix in your glove box!

And i second the bosch blue coil ...
driving.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.