Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emblem Holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Noticing difference in the cars I have lying around here. How many holes in the rear panel for each different emblem?

This is a 72 1.7 (possible european car with the porsche/VW emblem?)
IPB Image
This is a US 73 2.0 (obviously)
IPB Image
This is a 914/6
IPB Image

Can you help me positively identify the first image? How many holes does a US 1.7 have?
seanery
Mark,

a 70-72 1.7 doesn't have a displacement badge on the back only 914. so 2 holes would be correct.
McMark
Okay, so it's not a german car. I've been going around in circles with this car trying to figure it out. It's original Aubergine, but there are serious amounts of body filler on the drivers rear fender. I've sanded it away and there are no other color layers below it which means it was bare metal when they started working. I know that the car has had purple paint sprayed on it since coming from the factory, but I can't figure out why they would take the whole car down to bare metal just to paint it back to the same color. It really has me baffled, so I'm grasping at straws. I ripped out the battery tray today (it was riveted in) and everything is in really nice shape. The clutch tube has been ripped into the body and the jack points are rusted, but all in all it seems like a very very very very straight car. I just wish I could figure out what the deal was with the body filler.
markb
Dented & repaired quick at the factory? unsure.gif
Kargeek
Not uncommon to strip down a car to bare metal for a repaint. Sometimes if the origional paint is in bad shape it's the only way to get a proper paint job. Look at the door jams for additional clues. DH
Gint
It was also more common then you might think for the factory to use bondo.

Mark, that quarter panel I brought with me to the shop. It had bondo under the factory paint.
SirAndy
2 holes in the rear-clip i got from Jon, dunno which year or model ...

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Feb 10 2004, 07:09 PM)
I just wish I could figure out what the deal was with the body filler.

that was a factory option. wink.gif

they came with bondo from the factory.
especially parts that have large areas of thin sheetmetal,
like the hoods or the doorskins for early doors.

seems like that stuff got banged up at the factory all the time and they
"fixed" it with bondo before the car got painted.

Andy
need4speed
914 was Karmann-built, right?

I don't know if this applies to the 914 - but the Karmann Ghia has a ton of variances within model years. I've even heard of people finding stuff like bags of lead shot attached to the inside of fenders, different hole-patterns for the Karmann emblem, or side trim, bumpers placed differently, etc.

Coachbuilt cars. Gotta love 'em. smash.gif
brant
That 2 hole panel is what my 72 1.7 had on it also...

I've been having fun filling holes lately... the emblem holes are no big deal, but I've welded close my antanea hole, rear trunk button hole, and just about to close the windshield washers and maybe the wiper arms too...

brant
maf914
Got no holes in mine.

But it's a '76 that came with the 914-2.0 in vinyl! laugh.gif Cost cutting I guess. rolleyes.gif

Mike
McMark
So it seems the body filler is factory I guess. Interesting. I guess we'll see what's under there when it gets acid dipped.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.