Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When buying a 914 what to look for
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914???
Greetings... I have always liked the look and handling of a 914. Now I am at the point where I would like to purchase one and have been doing some research on what to look for. The areas that seem to be problematic and common are , the "hell hole" rust in the battery area. Rust in the undercarriage around the suspension mounts. Issues with "cracks" in the head (not sure if this is all models or just 2.0 litre models).
Having said this, what other things should I be looking for, and what are the advantages/disadvantages with the different engine sizes? Did the 1976 914's have galvanized bodies direct from the factory, or were they still as prone to rust.
Which year/engine/ would be the best for a "daily driver".
Help me out here.
Thanks
914???

LarryR
I would say that rust in the battery tray is not really a big deal. However, the progression you want to watch out for is the frame under the battery tray and how it progresses from there. If the top of the frame rail rusts out then it gets into the longitudinal and just gets worse from there. A look out point is the way the passenger door shuts. If it is hart to close look out b/c this could mean the rust has been hidden ant your in for a 2k repair job.

The floors under the seats, the rear trunk area, and I would say stay away from any 914 with A/C (this is just my opinion though)...

I would say the sweet spot is the 73-74 cars though I have a 70 and a 72. A 73-74 2.0 would get you a non heavy bumper, 73 would have chrome bumpers, either year would get you the side shifter trans so if you like chrome bumpers 73 is the best.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.