Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can these pieces be chromed or polished?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I've given up finding some window channel pieces that look excellent. I either find ones that have scratches or have that dulling chrome look. I tried to polish one with no luck.

Can a professional polisher, like Al Reed, bring these back to new by polishing or chroming them?
carr914
They can be polished up. Get a buffing wheel @ Harbor Freight, put it on your bench grinder, a little pressure and you'll have er done in no time smilie_pokal.gif

T.C.
JRust
agree.gif but I don't know jack confused24.gif . I would think they would polish up & you were just to weak to do it happy11.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Nov 7 2008, 09:40 AM) *

I've given up finding some window channel pieces that look excellent. I either find ones that have scratches or have that dulling chrome look. I tried to polish one with no luck.

Can a professional polisher, like Al Reed, bring these back to new by polishing or chroming them?

Try using super fine steel wool and WD40 as a lubricant.

It works great to remove small rust pits and scratches and does bring back old chrome.

Rich
McMark
AFAIK, they be chrome. Not a whole lot you can do with that once it turns south.
IronHillRestorations
I'm pretty sure they are anodized aluminum, but I could be wrong. I have polished them to a nice shine though.
Gint
I thought they were anodized aluminum also. They sure look like it. But whaddoIknow?
Pat Garvey
They are anodized aluminum.

You can polish them until you're "blue in the face", but without being re-anodized they will degrade, until they look worse. Like aluminum wheels, except those are easier to get at to re-polish.

The finish needs to be protected from airborne oxidation once the original anodizing is gone. You COULD clearcoat, but the first time a piece of jewelry scrapes across it, you have a scratch - and fresh oxidation. Anodizing is more tolerant.
burton73
Send them to Al Reed and re will strip, polish and re-anodize or chrome plate if you want bling. Big bucks I am sure. I have seen him do trim parts.

Bob
Eric_Shea
Imperial Custom Polishing
1228 S Hayes Ave
Fresno, CA 93706
(559) 485-1706‎
Mikey914
Brite dipped or hard coat anodized. I have a company I work with that can do this that can strip and re anodize, you'ld run about $300 min charge, so if you had more it could be worth while to do a run, but otherwise probably easier to find another used one in great shape for that price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.