Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The most significant part/assembly of a 914 - 4 or 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Look, we all know that Porsche/VW produced something that's invaluable to us! Right?

So, what's the most significant part/assembly/feature, in your opinion? What makes a 914 the car you lust for?

This thread isn't for improvers - stock vehicles only. Things like carbs, trans upgrades (stock only) are acceptable. Upgrades to megamotors not invited. Yeah, that's right, pseudo-purist 914's only.

Why do you like them & involve yourself & what area strikes you as the most pleasant & why?
sww914
The sound of a 6.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sww914 @ Nov 7 2008, 09:02 PM) *

The sound of a 6.

Steve,

That's why I can't give up my 73 911 - that "rev forever arrogance" of the early sixes!

Yeah baby!
carr914
The 914's shape (It's not for everybody, but it is for me) and the sound of a early Six. And the way they drive like a go-cart.

I've had 4 911s including 2 early Carreras, but I don't think I'll own another, they're just not me.

T.C.
davep
For me, it is the body, especially the GT body.
Cevan
For me, it's the lightness.
Rav914
The purposeful interior. Nothing extra, no fluff, just sports car.

Oh and the body, especially the rear fender area.
MikeSpraggi
If I had to choose something, just one thing, it would be the front fenders for me. I love sitting low, looking between the front fenders at the road ...... and the sound of that six revving behind me!
So.Cal.914
The suspension, I love the way she handles.
rktmn247
For me, its the design. Mid engine, four wheel discs, independent suspension, and the integral roll bar. Was there another affordable car of the same era with all of the above? If there was, I'd be interested in learning more about it.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Nov 7 2008, 07:02 PM) *

If I had to choose something, just one thing, it would be the front fenders for me. I love sitting low, looking between the front fenders at the road ...... and the sound of that six revving behind me!

Kinda like this................
morgan_harwell
>what's the most significant part/assembly/feature<
Mid-Engine handling, 2 seat roadster, awesome exaust note.
jimtab
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 7 2008, 07:04 PM) *

The suspension, I love the way she handles.

agree.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
The whole package......

.....the distinctive exterior

.....the minimalist and functional interior

.....the steering

.....the handling attributes

.....the absence of weight
slow914
The fact that is just a bare driving experience, barely enclosed, never heating, underpowered but overperforming race car for the street, the fact im four feet below any other car driver and the way it turns any trip into a experience, and the fact I can fit a whole cart of groceries in it without blinking never ceases to make me smile, 914 for life baby

edit: to answer your specific question I guess after much driving I'd say the shift linkage makes me happiest, no one else can drive it no matter how much "skill" they have yet I throw it through the box non-stop never missing a shift, god the stock motor sucks but the tranny makes it worth the effort, I'm going with a big motor soon but im tempted to keep the old tailshifter, wasted bushings and all just cause I love the way it feels
LarryR
I would have to say rust and since I was hard pressed to find another early sports car other than some triumphs that were more prone to rust than the 914 it was an instant connection wub.gif The leaky targa top, the battery acid on the frame rails perfect for the rust buggy.... happy11.gif poke.gif

Todd Enlund
Light weight, mid engine, low center of gravity, low polar moment. And I love the look.
Tom
The look, smell, and driving joy. I'd have a fleet of them if I could afford it.
Tom
Root_Werks
The size (Small) and overall shape of the 914. The smell, a 914 smells like a 914.
SGB
the roof design is simplicity itself.
KELTY360
Steering wheel. I love that sense of control with my hands relaxed at nine and three, ready to react to any situation.

Puts the fun in function. driving.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 8 2008, 03:14 AM) *

agree.gif ... same for me
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 7 2008, 05:53 PM) *

Why do you like them

First and foremost, the shape ... cheer.gif

I just simply like the look of them ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 7 2008, 11:39 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Nov 8 2008, 03:14 AM) *

agree.gif ... same for me

agree.gif Though there are many reasons I love the 914.

They sound cool, look cool, are fun to drive and they are old cars that not everyone has. piratenanner.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(rktmn247 @ Nov 7 2008, 10:30 PM) *

For me, its the design. Mid engine, four wheel discs, independent suspension, and the integral roll bar. Was there another affordable car of the same era with all of the above? If there was, I'd be interested in learning more about it.

And the utility of the design...2 seater, lots of room, two trunks, removable roof that stores in the rear while maintaining almost all of the room, five speed, air cooled and economical!

I'm on my fourth. I am a lucky, lucky man.

biz

DNHunt
The fact that it is a bastard that no one wants to claim. The fact that people either love them or hate them. The fact that so many people come up to me with a story that starts like "I had one of those once." or "My friend had one of those.". The fact that it is so different. The fact that there is mystery surrounding the cars and new bits of history pop up now and then. The fact that I can work on it and I feel I can handle almost all of the mechanical. The fact that it handle like no other car I've been in. It's the experience.

Dave
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Nov 8 2008, 08:32 AM) *

The fact that it is a bastard that no one wants to claim. The fact that people either love them or hate them. The fact that so many people come up to me with a story that starts like "I had one of those once." or "My friend had one of those.". The fact that it is so different. The fact that there is mystery surrounding the cars and new bits of history pop up now and then. The fact that I can work on it and I feel I can handle almost all of the mechanical. The fact that it handle like no other car I've been in. It's the experience.

Dave

I couldn't agree with you any more in addition to all the other comments about the shape, handling etc. I really like the 2 trunks and the targa. But what I like most is the approachability the 914 has. I have doubts that any of the other Porsche cars has the ability to get people to approach and admire our cars. Porsche has a strong name recognition but also has a little..dare I say it..a little snobbish. The 914 has none of that. I have had people pull in to restaurants following me just to look at my car and talk about it (sounds obnoxious but the incident was not). Recently I left my lights on at a rest stop and the car battery went down and I needed a jump. The guy next to me was very happy to help. When I thanked him, he replied "no thank you for keeping these cars around". These stories go on and on. The car is stylish, fun and approachable.
shoguneagle
Handling and dependability; handles like an "original Lotus Seven"
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 7 2008, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Nov 7 2008, 07:02 PM) *

Kinda like this................

Click to view attachment

Exactly like that driving.gif !!

Johny Blackstain
Kind of hard not to like the little car when your Dad buys one, when you're 11 & you still have it today @ age 45. It's like a real live "Hot Wheels". Also is the 1st car I ever drove- snuck it out one night when I was 13 & didn't wreck it happy11.gif
r_towle
I love the fact that its driven by a VW bus motor and can still wax 80% of the field at a PCA AutoX.

I love the fact that it really pisses off the 911 owners to be waxed by a VW so much I have installed the VW logo on the rear wing to remind them...

Rich
Katmanken
It's a Zen car...

Does everything great...

It’s efficient-
great gas mileage..

low weight...

perfect balance for handling...

space utilization- no other car comes close to this small package with 2 trunks...

large seating area- ever sit in a Brit car? It's like sitting in a shoe- with the laces drawn tight.....

minimalist parts philosophy, no stinking water cooling, no double A-arms in the suspension, no electric door locks, antenna raisers, window raisers…..

handling par excellence- anytime the factory notices that the 914 goes around corners 15% faster than an expensive 911 and then decides to castrate the (early) 914 by eliminating the sway bars….. that’s because the car is a winner

it's a "David" car. Regularly kicks ass on many larger "Golliath" cars..

Did I mention bragging rights???

Why yes, I just beat you with a 1.8 liter engine....

Why yes, that item will fit in my car, won't it fit in yours?

Why yes, I just beat you with a car that's 34 years old....

It' a nice day, shall we take the top off??? Can't you????

Yeah, the one time the factory raced it at Lemans, it got 7th place- after the Porsche 917’s and the Ferrari 512's....

Ken
sixerdon
It's the /6.
Back in the day when Porsche introduced the 914/6, that got my attention. I would save my money for a new one. $6 big ones at the time. Annual salary just out of college. (now I'm dating myself) Not so. P+A announced no more (imported) sixes after '71. Not interested in the /4's at the time. Got heavily involved w/356's for many years (decades?). It wasn't until 1990 that I decided to pursue the elusive /6 dream. Found it an loved it so much I had to buy another a year later. Still have them.
Yeah, it's the /6.
Don
boxstr
The fact that you can drop the 4 and stuff a V8 in so easily, and then hold on.
CCLIVROOMVROOM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.