Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 runs great until it's hot-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcam
Mostly stock, rebuilt carbs, checked timing, points, valve adjustment, changed oil. Runs great cold the when warms up, it runs rough, sputters and pops a bit...? Could it be a valve problem, carbs not adjusted correctly or something inherent to the 914-6? This is all new to me- appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks
Rav914
Usually with a carb'd six, it's just the opposite. I had a car that had issues when it warmed up - turned out to be a crack in the distributor. When warm the crack would expand, shorting to ground.

I have found over the years, that a quick call to John Walker in Seattle, has solved many problems with a flat-6. He has an uncanny ability to steer you right to the problem. I know this doesn't help anything right now, but give him a try on Monday if nothing else works. Best of luck!
carcam
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Nov 7 2008, 10:03 PM) *

Usually with a carb'd six, it's just the opposite. I had a car that had issues when it warmed up - turned out to be a crack in the distributor. When warm the crack would expand, shorting to ground.

I have found over the years, that a quick call to John Walker in Seattle, has solved many problems with a flat-6. He has an uncanny ability to steer you right to the problem. I know this doesn't help anything right now, but give him a try on Monday if nothing else works. Best of luck!

RAv- thanks, I'll call Monday. Appreciate the advice
carcam
QUOTE(carcam @ Nov 8 2008, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Nov 7 2008, 10:03 PM) *

RAv- thanks, I'll call Monday. Appreciate the advice

Nate- How do I reach John Walker, what's his business? Thanks again- we never checked the distributor other than the points gap.
Root_Werks
Sounds like your valve lash is too tight.
Root_Werks
7613 Greenwood Ave N
Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 789-6800

John Walkers Workshop
Rav914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 8 2008, 10:32 AM) *

Sounds like your valve lash is too tight.

I think that may be it. Makes sense. That's also one of the first things to check. I had a '67S that would run terrible if the valves weren't just right. Try this:

1. Check/adjust valves
2. Set points gap. Double check dwell.
3. Clean, check gap on spark plugs. Fouling due to richness can be common if the carbs are out of adjustment.
4. Set timing.

Try that and go for a drive.
SLITS
How about something as simple as old high tension leads? Thermal breakdown and arcing when engine gets to temperature.
carcam
You guys are great- thanks. Your help on this forum makes owning an old car so much easier. A couple more thing to check tomorrow.
carr914
John Forbes @ Black Forest is now in North Carolina and is a 914-6 guy. I dealt with him when he was in Florida. I don't know his # or exact location, but you can look up naro914 (Bob) here on the forum, I know John does work for him.

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.