Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint shop follow-up #3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
old9one4
Finally the paint and clear coat went on yesterday (Friday).

Here are some pix from the drying room.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This pix showes the effect that light has on this color. The orange flag at the top is the mirror body and the bumper is below in the less iluminated area. The paint looks orange in the sun and red in the shade.
Click to view attachment
Reassembly is next.

effutuo101
Very nice! who did the work?
old9one4
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Nov 8 2008, 12:07 PM) *

Very nice! who did the work?

Macco in Sunnyvale, CA
effutuo101
Nice! I had my last car painted by Earl Schieb. As long as you did all of the prep work, it comes out great. When my car is ready for paint, I will probably do the same.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Nov 8 2008, 12:11 PM) *

Nice! I had my last car painted by Earl Schieb. As long as you did all of the prep work, it comes out great. When my car is ready for paint, I will probably do the same.

Did you strip everything from the car? Windshield and back window? All trim?

How did you deliver it to them?

I need a repaint too, and I am on a budget. Please let me know.

Thanks!
old9one4

Thanks!

Yes I stripped off as much as I could. The winshield was to be replaced so I left it to the shop. The more you take off the less they will charge you for. I drove it to the shop with a following car for brake and signal assistance but, the shop is less than a mile away. The shop dsanded and primed the whole car see my first two threads for more .

Nelson
KaptKaos
QUOTE(old9one4 @ Nov 8 2008, 01:23 PM) *

Thanks!

Yes I stripped off as much as I could. The winshield was to be replaced so I left it to the shop. The more you take off the less they will charge you for. I drove it to the shop with a following car for brake and signal assistance but, the shop is less than a mile away. The shop dsanded and primed the whole car see my first two threads for more .

Nelson

Cool Nelson. What are they charging you?
KaptKaos
icon_bump.gif
ericread
I am getting ready to do the same thing. As I remove the old paint, what do you recommend I do to the bare metal? Self-etching primer from a rattle can?

My thanks!

Eric Read

old9one4

[/quote]

Near1/2 before 5 large is the estimate. More on delivery.

Nelson
old9one4
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 10 2008, 07:14 PM) *

I am getting ready to do the same thing. As I remove the old paint, what do you recommend I do to the bare metal? Self-etching primer from a rattle can?

My thanks!

Eric Read

Save your money for the paint job any primer will do. Shop sanded off all of my primer work and all paint that was not sticking. I just rattle canned Rustolieum primer to protect bare metal. The shop wants their paint on their primer.

Nelson
KaptKaos
QUOTE(old9one4 @ Nov 10 2008, 07:42 PM) *

Nelson

$5k?!?!?
9146FAN
Great color choice!

beerchug.gif
effutuo101
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Nov 8 2008, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Nov 8 2008, 12:11 PM) *

Thanks!

I did all of the prep work and primer. If you go through to the metal, there is a special primer for galvanized steel. Use it.
When they shot the car, they did scuff the primer and go through a few spots, so be carful.
Shoot a guide coat and make sure you sand it all off and fix any issues.
It was about 8 years ago and I waited for one of those $599 specials and paid for an extra clear coat.
If you have a buddy with a garage and a paint gun, you can finish this up your self. You already did all of the hard work.
You could spend 300-800 on the materials and get a much better product.
Or, you can do all of the prep and let Macco or Earl do it for a few hundred.

I had all of the glass and interior out of the car and they shot everything for me.
r_towle
QUOTE(old9one4 @ Nov 10 2008, 10:42 PM) *

Nelson

Could you do me a favor and tell us what you are paying in english...I dont understand what you said there....sorry...Im a dumbass.

Rich
carr914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 10 2008, 11:51 PM) *

Nelson

Could you do me a favor and tell us what you are paying in english...I dont understand what you said there....sorry...Im a dumbass.

Rich

Yes, please tell us you did not pay $5k at Maaco
Twise
Maaco is coming up in the world...

$5K is pretty pricey for the scuff and shoot....
old9one4
QUOTE(Twise @ Nov 11 2008, 11:13 AM) *

Maaco is coming up in the world...

$5K is pretty pricey for the scuff and shoot....

Ok I miss-read my invoice is actually quoted at $3,800.00. This includes a new windshield, sand to bare metal, repair all dents (deep ones pulled not filled), move tow attachment to center of whole in custom rear bumper, paint color, paint black and clear coat (two trips through paint booth and dryer), paint mirror parts (911 flag mirror), and reassembly bumpers and doors with new rubber. See previous threads for sanding history (paint shop follow-up #2).

Hope this clears up the price issues,

Nelson
old9one4
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 11 2008, 04:59 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 10 2008, 11:51 PM) *

Nelson

Rich

Yes, please tell us you did not pay $5k at Maaco

See my reply to TWISE for the price correction.
Not all Macco shops are run the same. I was surprised at the quality of the work my local Macco is doing. Currently they are repairing a driver door on a 356 (not fill, pull and reshape to match body), doing a complete strip off and repaint on a 57 Chevy restoration, and rust repair on a VW micro bus. See my previous thread for sanding detail. My car was painted color & black, matching color stripe painted on top, clear coated, and buffed out. I am hoping for delivery by Friday so I can begin my re-assembly.

Nelson

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.