Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dist for a 2.7 RS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Red-Beard
As I started final assembly of my 2.7 RS spec motor (S cams, RS P&C,2.7 crank), I found the mechanical advance dist cap is cracked. It's a Marelli and it was setup for a 2.0T. I have a 2.7 vac adv dist, a Bosch. Will this work? Am I better off with something else?

James
Joe Bob
Nope....Marrelli is a differernt animal....you would be better off converting to another dizzy. They don't make those no more and repalcement cap and rotors are NLA.

You occasionally find them on ebay....big bucks.

Consider a Bosch or Mallory. Might wanna post over on the 9 eleben sky rat board.
Red-Beard
I was just informed the 2.7 bosch will not fit my early case.i

James
Joe Bob
There have been converted motors,,,seen them, never really paid any attention as I never had to do one.....try calling Glenn Sager of Don and Glenn's 914 Barbeque fame.....

909-784-0425
GLENN914-6
Red Beard
what case is your 2.7 rs built on?
The 2.7 bosch dist. is supposed to be an excellent dist for any carbed eng 2.2 to 3.2, but again what case did you build it on?
Glenn914-6
Brad Roberts
For a very large lump sum I can steal the one from the ORIGINAL 73 2.7RS in the shop right now. Awesome car. 7400RPM redline. Factory rocket.

B
J P Stein
There is a Bosch replacement for the Marrelli. I've never had to go lookin' for one, tho.
RS dizzys are about 300 bucks.....actually 74 Euro Carrera.....same motor as the RS.
Red-Beard
Engine was built on my 914/6 case, so call it a 2.0T circa 1969 (September!).

I have an offer of a 2.0 E distrubutor that has been rebuilt.

I would just re-use the 2.0, but the cap is cracked. And I think moving to a closer distributor would be the way to go.

Hmmm. Will the 2.7RS distributor fit my case...

How much you want for it smilie_flagge24.gif

Serioursly though, can anyone confirm that a 2.7 distributor will not fit the 2.0T case?
meursault
Yes, a 2.7 distributor will not fit a 2.0 case. You are safe with a distributor out of any 2.0 or 2.2 motor...the "e" distributor should do nicely.

You'll notice that the 2.7 distributor has a large area cast into it to allow for ignition timing adjustments, rather than the plate/cinch bolt setup of the earlier distributors. That area will prevent the distributor from seating properly in your early case. I have actually seen people machine off that area to use it with an early case.

If you need a cap for the Marelli, I can probably point you to some used ones local to you.

Oh, just an afterthought...you may want to avoid cast iron distributors from pre-68 cars. They use two piece points that I always seem to ground out and require modification (albeit minor) to the cap.
Red-Beard
Point away!

Actually, I'm going to have to break the engine in on the Marrelli, so if you know someone with a used cap, that would be great.

The e-mail link here should work.

James
Joe Bob
Did you try Glenn? Or better yet, Scheider Autohaus, 805-962-8015.
Red-Beard
Not yet. But I'll call Glenn and the rest today.

James
jtf914
There's a Marelli from a 71 911 T 2.2 ending on ebay in 45min (it's now 2:40pm) with cap/rotor, currently at $35:

Marelli

-or-

Let me know, because I have a complete one sitting in my parts bin from my -6.

-Justin
JmuRiz
James,
How did you get your 2.0 to become a 2.7? I'm guessing it took some serious mods. Not just a 'simple' p/c, crank and cam swap. Done any dyno runs on it? Just curious, I'm still in 4 cyl world myself.
Red-Beard
Dyno runs? Sheesh, I'm still working at getting it back into the car.
JmuRiz
Didn't know if you did any of them fancy 'engineoutofcar' dynos or anything. Good luck though...i'm just a little jealous.
burnout.gif
mightyohm
Is a 2.0 case even a 5R?
Red-Beard
Uh - no....

It's built on my original case. I had the case extensively modified to take the larger cylinders, installed piston squirters for the Nikasil Cylinders, The crank&rods were changed to a 2.4, case savers installed at _every_ tapped hole, S cams, ported cylinder heads, standard S valves, RS pistons and cylinders, ported the intake manifolds to match the cylinder intakes.

I expect at least 210 hp.

James MDB2.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Feb 12 2004, 09:59 PM)
I expect at least 210 hp.

good luck on that... what kind of induction are you using ?
the factory got 210 but they used MFI ...
Red-Beard
210 was supposed to be min power, but I expect I'll get it. I'm using rebuilt Webers, rejetted for the 2.7
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.