Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone know how to refinish the targa top?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
I have searched the threads but came up empty. Is there a product that is sprayed on, how do you get the pebble look. Mine is starting to come off in spots, probably will have to sand it smooth and start new. Any suggestions?

James
BiG bOgGs
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Nov 8 2008, 08:06 PM) *

I have searched the threads but came up empty. Is there a product that is sprayed on, how do you get the pebble look. Mine is starting to come off in spots, probably will have to sand it smooth and start new. Any suggestions?

James

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=70265

A couple options here. I think the Rhino lining would be the best if you are not trying for purity.

Jim
cobra94563
My top was undamaged, just dull, and super faded.
I used herculiner topcoat. Roller it on. $20.

It is coating used to refresh those spray-on bedliners when faded.

So far 1yr. Still looks good.
Pat Garvey

James

Hmmm, wondering! How does the finish start to "come off"? Not dissing you, just wondering.

Mine is the original finish, and looks just fine. It is also a garage queen.

What makes the finish go south? What products (contemporary) can retard this? I have a regimen thet I've used for umpteen years on my top & it has proven to be worthwhile for a "GQ". But, what have others used?

Stripping & re-doing makes me shivver!
Pat
melnyk
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 8 2008, 09:10 PM) *

James

Hmmm, wondering! How does the finish start to "come off"? Not dissing you, just wondering.

What makes the finish go south? What products (contemporary) can retard this? I have a regimen thet I've used for umpteen years on my top & it has proven to be worthwhile for a "GQ". But, what have others used?

Pat

mine is chipped from what who knows. i think the fiber glass dries out and distorts and the finish basicly flakes off. i need to do my top this winter, i think just a smooth semi gloss black finish is all in going to do, as well as a semi gloss black on the sails(I HATE VINYL), valances, windscreen frame, and bumpers
Todd Enlund
Mine is full of hairline stress cracks. I've sanded it down, and I'm going to laminate it with carbon fiber. Not exactly CW, but I think it will look cool.
Katmanken
Pat,

If you never take your top off, the paint never gets scratched or chipped,

If you never take it outside, the paint doesn't experience weather, acidic bird poo, OR UV.

If you keep it sealed in a nitrogen atmosphere, then oxidation can't happen,

And, if you keep it indoors below freezing a lot (say in Alaska or the Antartic) , it will also last longer....

Doesn't sound like much enjoyment from a car....

Paint degrades from oxidation, acids (acid in rain, exhaust gasses, and bird poo) and UV.

Ken
ellisor3
QUOTE(BiG bOgGs @ Nov 8 2008, 08:23 PM) *

James

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=70265

A couple options here. I think the Rhino lining would be the best if you are not trying for purity.

Jim

Thanks for the help guys, I am not especially looking for the original look, it seems the rhino lining is the easiest.

James
ellisor3
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 8 2008, 09:10 PM) *

James

Pat

thanks for the input, it is starting to flake up around the edges, it almost looks as if the edges were finished differently than the rest of the top. In any event, it needs some freshening up.

James
dw914er
I use my top alot, so its a bit faded, etc.

Back to black just restores the finish pretty easily.
ConeDodger
Pat,
Mine is coming off in one spot too... I suspect that what is going on is that someone at some time put something in the trunk under the top and it pushed it up enough so it contacted the hinge or something... Lots of somes in that statement but you get my point.
A good how-to would be of value to everyone.
zymurgist
When I rebuilt my Corvette, I bought some satin black paint from an auto paint store and sprayed it all over the engine compartment. It looks great and it would probably be perfect for a 914 roof.
'73-914kid
I've heard Rhnio linging is pretty close to original, but It depends how stock you want it to look. I'm sanding mine down and re-enforcing the glass, spraying satin black. No texture......real smooth!
xperu
I use Dupli - Color Truck Bed Coating (Rattle Can) it has some texture and it works great. I first used it on my valance and outer rocker panels which made them look 100% better.. Mike
Katmanken
Da factory sez: Dull black automotive paint "such as Rinshed Mason Nr. 681 Black" (R&M) ...

Have the paint mixer add the texture to it (aka "Bumpium")

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.