Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine/Tranny Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mojorisen914
Trying to gather everything I will need to work on my car when I come back to the states for my vacation in December. If my car was back in Kentucky; I wouldn't be asking the following questions since I have the keys to my buddy's shop that is equipped with the lift and all the other necessary tools. BUT, my car is in Kansas at my girlfriends house and I will be swapping out the rebuilt motor/tranny at home in our garage.
I suspect a tranny jack will be the best suited tool to swap out motor and tranny but what does everyone suggest?
I'm having to buy jack stands, parts cleaner tank and some other shop equipment that I don't have access to. The jack stands I was looking at have a total height of 24"; add a 2 x 4 on top of the jackstand and I'll get somewhere around 26"s. Is this going to be high enough to swap out the motor and trans?
I've done this before but that was 24 years ago and I was helping my uncle swap out his motor in a gravel driveway. Basically what I remember from that is it wasn't any fun.
So, any suggestions on swapping out the motor/trans, any special tools needed will be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully the time I spend at home working on the car won't turn out like a sheeplove.gif

type47
by tranny jack, are you thinking of removing engine and trans separately? you can put stack(s) of 2x8 under stands to get alittle extra lift. i make an engine "removal piece" out of a 2 x 6 to put on the jack ... piece of the jack that is cupped......to balance the engine and trans assembly to lower the whole she-bang. balance point of engine/tranny is near the trans/engine mating surfaces.
GeorgeRud
You should be OK with the jack stands, but you must look at the height of the jack you're going to use, plus the height of the engine. If you need a bit more clearance, removing the rear valance and keeping the front end of the car on the ground will gain you a bit more clearance.

I've always used a floor jack, but there was also a write up where someone had used threaded rod in place of the front crossbar bolts, and simply let the front end of the engine down by unthreading the bolts down the rod. I think this would probably be a good way to guide the engine back into the car.
mojorisen914
Jim,
I want to do the whole sha-bang at one time. Roughly how high off the ground does the car need to be?
mojorisen914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 9 2008, 12:01 PM) *

You should be OK with the jack stands, but you must look at the height of the jack you're going to use, plus the height of the engine. If you need a bit more clearance, removing the rear valance and keeping the front end of the car on the ground will gain you a bit more clearance.

I've always used a floor jack, but there was also a write up where someone had used threaded rod in place of the front crossbar bolts, and simply let the front end of the engine down by unthreading the bolts down the rod. I think this would probably be a good way to guide the engine back into the car.

That sounds like a good idea with the all thread rod providing the whole thing didn't get in a bind and snap the rod. Something for me to think about and aninexpensive idea...I really like those.

THanks.
jimkelly
two hydraulic jacks and a wooden pallet

raise car from both rear jack points - disconnest everything but the engine and trans mounts - get them loosened only

lower car to where engine and trans are touching the pallet on floor - remove engine and trans mounting bolts - raise car - drag assy out from under car - done.

jim

r_towle
agree.gif
BUT I use a furniture dolly instead of a pallet.

Remember to block the rear tranny so you put no wieght on the HE's and no wieght on the clutch pulley assembly.

Two floor jacks would be a better investment, same kind, same height...get tall ones.

Rich
mojorisen914
Well, the furniture dolly is an awesome idea. I say that because that's currently where the motor is sitting right now and I wouldn't have to muscle the assy onto a tranny jack. I was actually thinking towards that way of thinking but didn't want to misthink and have something go wrong.
THanks for the help guys. beerchug.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 9 2008, 07:56 AM) *

by tranny ......she-bang

blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.