Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock Six Heat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Johny Blackstain
So I'm freezing my **s off driving the six now & need to put heat back into her. Trouble is, it was all yanked out by a previous owner, when the 2.7 was plopped in. I started a thread in the garage about stainless steel heat exchangers & decided I like the British Hayward & Scott ones best. However, in speaking w/ George @ AA he informed me that the six does not have a fan like the four, the six uses the main engine fan to flow air into the cabin. I have a very unmolested system in the LE but apparantly that does me no good in trying to piece together a "stock" system for the six. My questions are how does the heating system differ between the four & the six? I've got 2 new orange hoses, 2 new flapper boxes, am waiting on my order from Hayward & Scott. What else do I need? Anyone got a diagram of a stock six heating system? In depth photos?

Thanks.
Johny Blackstain
I posted this here because I wanted an example of a stock six heating system. Might have been a mistake- perhaps an Admin can move it to the garage?

Thanks
mskala
Not much to see under the car. Flappers have cables, and two appropriate-length hoses on each side, one goes to tunnel, one goes through sheet metal to engine
fan. That's all. Mines not hooked up now (got to fix all the oil leaks first), but it will
blow your hair around from force coming through the windshield vents at 6000 rpm.
davep
Try this link to Pelican's page:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._EXHhtr_pg1.htm
On the left is a link to the parts catalog that downloads the factory parts catalog PDF. Use it to see every part. The 914/6 valves are not the same as the 914/4 BTW.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 9 2008, 11:31 AM) *

So I'm freezing my **s off driving the six now & need to put heat back into her. Trouble is, it was all yanked out by a previous owner, when the 2.7 was plopped in. I started a thread in the garage about stainless steel heat exchangers & decided I like the British Hayward & Scott ones best. However, in speaking w/ George @ AA he informed me that the six does not have a fan like the four, the six uses the main engine fan to flow air into the cabin. I have a very unmolested system in the LE but apparantly that does me no good in trying to piece together a "stock" system for the six. My questions are how does the heating system differ between the four & the six? I've got 2 new orange hoses, 2 new flapper boxes, am waiting on my order from Hayward & Scott. What else do I need? Anyone got a diagram of a stock six heating system? In depth photos?

Thanks.

Al,

I know nothing of the HE's you described, but if they have a forward outlet from the jackets you should be able to get heat to the cabin. You'll need those flappers & hoses (assuming they fit these HE's). You'll also need a cable system to open & close the flappers, else you'll be stuck in a semi-permanent "heat-on" or "heat off" position.

Early sixes did not have a separate fan to drive heat to the cabin. It was done strictly by engine rpm's. You could retrofit a 4 banger blower, but I can't imagine where you'd mount it, or how to get the plumbing problems worked out.

I'm sure that there are plenty of others who've dealt with this problem with a 2.7.

Maybe you should have moved the post to the Garage. To my knowledge, there are no moderator(s) for this forum & the topic ain't exactly originality-related.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.