Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need a softer ride.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dempwolf@pctribe.com
I want a softer ride. I've got Dunlops 205 50 ZR15 in the front and 225-50-ZR15 on the back. I've let air out of the tires, and the shocks are on the softest setting, but the jarring ride is making me NOT enjoy the ride. Don't want to change the entire suspension system since it goes well with motor and brakes. The rims in the front are 7" and 8" in the rear. What tires would you recommend. Thanks Karl
southernmost914
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Nov 9 2008, 09:53 PM) *

I want a softer ride. I've got Dunlops 205 50 ZR15 in the front and 225-50-ZR15 on the back. I've let air out of the tires, and the shocks are on the softest setting, but the jarring ride is making me NOT enjoy the ride. Don't want to change the entire suspension system since it goes well with motor and brakes. The rims in the front are 7" and 8" in the rear. What tires would you recommend. Thanks Karl

What size springs and torsion bars do you have?
Eric_Shea
Karl,

With all of the work done on that car I would agree with our Southernmost teener (I used to live on the corner of Flagler and White). You probably have monster bars in there.

I'm not a fan of that process (mongo bars and springs) unless you're a full on track car.

Your car is one of the few 1972 sixes in the country. It will have 911 spline count on the a-arms and torsion bars. Check to see if you have stock torsion bars (fairly easy procedure in the manuals)

If they went crazy with it, my recommendations would be to find a set of stock 914-6 torsion bars at 17.8mm. They may be hard to find but it really is a good front bar for our cars. If that's not readily available look for a 18.8mm 911 bar (unless that's what you have).

Go with some 100lb stockish springs in the back. Depending on the weight of your six, you may want to go 140 tops.

Also, check your sway bars. A really big sway bar can also affect the ride. For what you're doing I wouldn't go over 19mm.

Don't want to change the entire suspension system since it goes well with motor and brakes.

You can still have a monster motor and have a nice street suspension. When dealing with spring rates, what you do up front will have an affect on the rear and visa versa.
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Thanks Eric, now let me find someone who can understand what you said and help me with the changes. Thanks Karl
morgan_harwell
No "responders" mentioned shocks, yet.
Does your 914 have "Kill Your Back" KYBs or "Numb Your Butt" Konis?

Try Bilsteins. When I converted my 914 to 5-lug, I used '73 911 front Koni struts, and matched that with 914 Koni rear shocks. I hated the Koni ride, way too stiff for a sporting 914 road car. The ride was so jaring! I found myself dodging everything: pot holes, uneven pavement, etc.. I even caught myself dodging street light shadows. I also had to keep pushing the windsheild visors back up every 1/2 mile.

Bilsteins fixed that. Still a 'firm' sports car ride, but the dental fillings are no longer in danger.

reference:
Front suspension : stock '89 911, Bilstein inserts, underbody sway bar, 18.8mm torsion bars.
Rear suspension: 914 Bilsteins, 100lb springs, no sway bar.
6x15 Fuchs, 205/60/15 Bridgestones all 4 corners.

During ski-trip 2 years ago, we met a fellow from Germany who was on a working vacation. Turns out he worked for Bilstein in Germany. I asked him for the correct pronunciation of "Bilstein". Doesn't sound like "Bill-Steen" at all, sounds more like "Buir-Stien"!
ericread
Here's more detail on the "Monster Bar" Eric Shea was discussing above...

r_towle
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Nov 9 2008, 09:53 PM) *

for what its worth, I changed to my winter tires yesterday.
the summer tires are 205/50/15 and the winter tires are 195/65/15

the winter tires are snow tires so they have a much softer sidewall rating...the summer tires are Z rated so the sidewall is super stiff.

I LOVED the ride yesterday for 230 miles...much softer and all the bumps didnt hurt.
So, you might want to try taller street rated tires...your current tires are very low profile (for a 914) and probably are V or Z rated (it would say on the sidewall)

Go down to an H rated tire like normal street cars and you will feel the difference.
As far as what will fit, and still look good....dunno.
I also raise up my suspension for the winter for two reasons.
The winter tires are taller and the snow gets deep around here...
The higher suspension setting also relieves some of the jarring.

If you have a front anti sway bar, try removing one drop link (this disables the system) and drive around like that...it is part of the process to see how you can make it softer.

Rich
Eric_Shea
Nobody mentioned shocks, yet.

He did...

the shocks are on the softest setting

That would mean one thing... Koni. wink.gif

I've always liked Koni's and never heard them referred to as "Kill your butt" before. I always run mine on full soft unless I'm tracking a car. It gives me what I refer to a firm Euro type ride. Bilsteins are awesome shocks as well.

To what Rich is saying, you could go with a 60 series and have a more period "vintage" look. That seems to be the rave with the R-Gruppies lately. I personally like that look as I'm going for a period GT look. It would help your ride a lot.

When I switched the 911 over to the RS look I went from 205/60-15's all around on 6's to 225/50-15 on 8's and 205/50-15's on 7's. The difference is noticable.

My 914 has the same wheels as the 911 but it is shod with the 60 series rubber... 225/60 and 205/60. I like both looks but I'll bet I like the ride of the 914 better.
dempwolf@pctribe.com
The car has pulled fenders with 7" front and 8" rims in the back. Will a 195-65 work with those rims or will I have go get smaller rims as well. Thanks Karl
Eric_Shea
Well... I don't think you want to put 195's on your car. Rich was basically stating that by going up to a taller 65 sidewall profile and a softer rating he got a much more comfortable ride.

If you have 15's I think your only options would be the 205/60 and 225/60. There are other choices out there but they are limited now because nobody is making a wide range of tires for the 15.
r_towle
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 10 2008, 11:39 AM) *

Well... I don't think you want to put 195's on your car. Rich was basically stating that by going up to a taller 65 sidewall profile and a softer rating he got a much more comfortable ride.

If you have 15's I think your only options would be the 205/60 and 225/60. There are other choices out there but they are limited now because nobody is making a wide range of tires for the 15.

Yup, exactly.

Go to a good tire store and see what they have...try out a few sizes to see what they look like...again a GOOD tire store will do this..
Not one of the chain stores, but a mom and pop shop will help out.

Taller profile, softer sidewall is the idea and its the two things you tell them.
Also, dont go for pure summer tires unless you have another set of rims for winter tires...winter tires are not always snow tires, just a softer compound to deal with the cold pavement in the mornings...summer tires are very slippery at temps under 50 degrees.

Rich
Eric_Shea
(Karl doesn't know what winter is) biggrin.gif
sbonthemesa
Kill Yer Butt/Back are KYB gas shocks.

Go with the 14 inch Fuchs and tall side wall tires. It's called the "Comfort Option". It was offered on new 911s and 914/6s.
Eric_Shea
Karls car is flared. 14's only came in 5.5 width. "Could" happen but that would be one strange looking GT biggrin.gif
Brett W
What bushings are in the car. Poly bushings will bind up as will Delrin and create this awful ride quality. Those will be easy enough to identify.
ericread
I changed out my front suspension bushings to the PolyBronze units this last weekend. Along with that I replaced my ball joints and installed turbo tie-rods.

What an amazing difference in the ride!! It is sooooo much smoother!

And the squeaks are gone!!!

It's been written in this board about 100 times what a difference replacing the front bushings will make, but I was truely surprised!

Eric Read

Edit: My car had the original rubber bushings. The best $260.00 I've spent!

Porsche Rescue
I just did a little research at Tire Rack because I thought your 7/8" wheel widths would limit you. Turns out 205/60x15 can be fitted on a 7 and 225/60 can be fitted on an 8 (however no wider wheels in either case). If your car is a street car I would consider the Kuhmo Ecsta ASX. Cost is only $55/56 per.
They are not a speed rated tire and with a 60 profile should be as soft as they get. In line with a suggestion above, they are an all season tire. You could go with a higher speed rated tire in those sizes but if ride is first priority, I would not. They would fill the wheel wells better than your current 50 series. Also, a 225/60 is within .2" of the diameter of a stock 165/15 so your gearing should be stock and speedo accurate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.