Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it safe for children?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blonde914
Big discussion this morning over talk radio and putting your kids in the front seat of the car. Even with car seats and seat belts it is the air bag that is the big issue right, besides the weight and height restrictions for seatbelts? Do you take your children in your 914's, and do you think it is safe. Everyone gave me a hard time because I take my youngest in the 914 with me. We use her booster seat and the new seat belts. In our other cars she is always in the back seat because of air bags ect... I don't drive the same when she or any one else is in the 914 with me, I am slow and law abiding. Do you take your kids out in the cars and do you think they are safe. Are there any statistics for these cars and saftey? driving-girl.gif
fiid
IMHO there is a slightly increased risk of death from an accident in a 914. This is caused by the increase in the number of SUVs and light trucks on the road, and the general decrease in the percentage of time that drivers are spending with their attention to the road.

Aside from that I believe the main reason for kids needing to be in the back is the airbag issue - an airbag will hit a child seat and throw it around, plus they are a lot lighter than we are, and the airbag is designed for an adult weight. My finacee's miata has an airbag cut-off switch for the passenger side for exactly this reason.

When I have kids I fully intend on taking them in the 914 in the manner your describe. If anyone challenges you on it, I would ask them if they have ever used their cell phone while driving, and promptly accuse them of putting your kid more at risk than the 914 does.

Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

Fiid.
Chris H.
Yes I think front air bags are the main concern with children riding up front. The force of the airbag deploying has killed and injured children in the past.

Certainly the cars of the 1970s are not as safe as the ones today, especially small ones like the 914. I have no idea what the stats are for crash tests but I'd imagine they are not that good.

I take my 6-year-old out with me in the 914 and she loves it. I use a car seat and she is buckled in tight. I am also extremely cautious and watch out for potential hazards. It's only for leisure trips during the day. Lots of us take our kids out, we are just very careful.
fiid
Oh yeah. If you are still worried, get a roll cage and 5 point racing belts :-) LOL. That ought to hold the kid down!
tat2dphreak
I agree with Fiid agree.gif

I think that all small(er) cars today are more risky... not because they aren't safe in and of them selves... it's what you will likely hit... if you hit a large SUV in any car, say a VOLVO even... you could be seriously hurt... because they are so much higher and larger than the car you are in... so certainly, if a car built around todays safety standards has problems, then yes, the 914 is a more risky car for the youngster, and you...

that said, I don't plan on denying my kid(when/if I have 1) the fun/excitement of riding in the fun little car... I plan to be careful and responsible, above all else! but the rest is also in the hands of god... you only have so much control over your life... the rest is a crapshoot... have fun while you are here!!!
GaroldShaffer
When got my car home last August the frist thing
I did was put the car seat in for my then 19 mo
son and took him for a 15 mile ride to Grandma's.
Had the top off the car but I did have his window
up. He loves it!

Yes his saftey is VERY important to me, and in
our other car and my quad cab truck he rides in
the back seat. I don't really see the difference
between my 914 and my neighbors little neon,
New VW bug, ect. All small cars are at a higher
risk when hit by the monster SUVs and the like.

Take you child for a ride, have fun, and just be more
aware of what is going on around you.

Garold
McMark
I'm always curious when people say that new cars are safer than old ones. What's safer? What amazing advancements have been made? What's in a Neon or a Geo or a Focus that's so much better than a 914? Personally I'm more prone to think it's more of the media brainwashing.
Jenny
914s have more crumple room than most cars! biggrin.gif

Jen
Joe Ricard
Wow, got me thinking now. I know the Ford Explorer is safe because it is at the same level as other SUV's.

When sitting in a 914 I am looking directly at the bumper of most SUV's

Now my 70 teener doesn't have door reinforcement braces either.

Guess I will just give the young'in rides in the 928. Anyone remember the scene in cannonball run II when the monster truck rolled over the 928? That scene took 3 tries the car finally had the A and B pillars cut through before it would crush.
blonde914
Mine is also a 70, When I was looking through threads I was reading about the different weights in the doors on different years. So there are no reinforcements on the doors on the 70, 914 that is why they are lighter. I have a 75 in the garage I have to get rid of, could I get the reinforcemnets of that and have them put on my 70? Is there an easier way to reinforce? confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
Newer cars are generally safer. That's because much more attention has been paid to crash safety during the design of the car. Much of the extra weight that is in modern cars is due to all of the safety equipment. (The rest is the "convenience and comfort" equipment, in general, if it isn't from the larger drivetrain required to move around that other weight.)

The 914 has very large crumple zones front and rear; much larger than just about any other contemporary sports car. Those don't help if the SUV's rear bumper doesn't touch your front hood until just in front of the windshield, though. There is also very little side impact protection. Even the later cars (mid-73 on) with door beams don't offer that much protection compared to a modern car, or a car with a decent cage.

You may be able to cut the beams out of the 75 doors and install them into the early doors, but it'll be a pain welding them in, in particular. Access is quite tight in there, even with the window rolled up. If you're going to paint the car soon, you might consider just swapping the doors over. You'll have to fiddle with the roof seals (swap to the later ones) but that's not too awful.

But again, I'm not sure how much good it will do you. Most of the truck/SUV bumpers I see are above the level where I think the door beams are anyway.

--DD
mike_the_man
914s may have very little side crash protection, but at least they're made out of metal. Anybody ever seen a Lotus Europa with the body off the frame? The frame is a T, and the body is all fiber glass. Absolutely no side impact protection there! But light as hell.
rick 918-S
I used to take my 7 and 9 yr old AND both their friends to the beach. aktion035.gif clap56.gif aktion035.gif clap56.gif driving.gif Just clipped the passanger side belt in the drivers receiver and vis-versa. Crossed all the kids and me! We had a blast! The worse infraction came when I had my 9 yr old shift for me. I had my right arm in a sling from a shoulder operation. (ya that was kinda dumb cool_shades.gif ) Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Drive like your life depends on it and enjoy. wavey.gif
Don Wohlfarth
Blondie, slow down a little. wink.gif 74 and up have door bars, looks like a piece of corregated steel about 5 inches high that runs inside the door from front to back.
It was probably added to meet US crash testing at the time. Picking a 75 over a 70 because of the potential added safety is a marginal call.
Double D gives a good description of relative safety between a car 30 yrs old and a newer one. Vast majority of cars in the last 5 years have ABS which is a huge improvement for the "average" driver.
The biggest advantage you have in driving a 914 is that it is light and agile versus other cars, trucks, or SUV's. Go to a local ax and practice driving your car, find out what it will do.
fiid
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Feb 11 2004, 02:35 PM)

and just be more
aware of what is going on around you.

Sorry to pick on you for this, but.....

YOU NEED TO BE MORE AWARE ALL THE TIME.

Not being aware is not an option. When you are driving your 2 ton truck "not being aware" is when you are going to hit another club member and kill his/her kid.

Weather you are driving a truck or a 914 - pay attention to the road, and what is going on around you. When you are driving a larger vehicle, you are far more likely to kill other people, if not yourself.
djm914-6
My sons love the 914. Actually, if I want my older son (now six) to fall asleep fast, I take him out for a ride. As loud as my car is, he'll be asleep fast. I use a booster seat and pay extra attention to what's around me.
lmcchesney
Driving our newly acquired 914 from Maine to Chicago along Penn. Turnpike, viewing the Buick's front tires at the same level as my head had a great influence. I am a Father of three boys and drove Volvo station wagons. First modification to the 914 was welded in complete roll cage with side incursion bars and 3" wide five point restraints. Fortunately have never been used but feels a lot better. Unrecognized benifit, keeps me limber.
Avitar is David my youngest at 8y/o.
L. McChesney and The Guys

P.S. Jenny, your avitar is worrisome next to Blonde914.
blonde914
I would love to take it to a track, I'm not sure of any around here. Anyone know where I can take her? I am a defensive driver, you have to be with all the SUV's(I have an Explorer), they aren't looking or can't see you half the time; especially when they are on the phone!

Rich, Are you nuts! 5 people in your car!
scotty
My kids love riding in it. In car seats, booster seats, and now in the regular seat. Top on/top off, it doesn't matter. I think they like the "basicness" of the car.
blonde914
I have to agree that the kids do like it. The 4 older kids want to drive it.

I SAID NO!!! headbang.gif

But the baby just wants to be in it with me, she says when I die it is hers and she is painting it Barbie pink.
Howard
Old Fart reaction. My first trip across country with my mom was standing up on the front seat. Seat belt equivalent was her right arm. Oh, we were living in New York, and moving to California, so mom never had a license. The dealer advised her to drive across country and learn, so she wouldn't have any problem passing the driver's test when she got out west.

I should be dead (leaded paint, no car seats, park swings without safety belts) but what the hell, Orville and Wilbur never got their pilot's licenses, so it must be OK. Terms like OSHA, product liability, contributory negligence were years away.

Here is a picture of why I'm glad I survived. Samantha, my 5 year old grand daughter in my 914 (oops, granpa's go cart). Full cage, 5 point belts going around an approved car seat, yet I am scared to take her out in the car. Or any car, for that matter.

I feel better taking her in my SUV, but she doesn't. One of my previous rides was a self propelled 155mm Howitzer. I'd feel even better taking her in that, but the army made me give it back
Chris914n6
It's amazing and dissappointing to see how over protective our society has become.

I'm tired of people telling me what is and isn't "right" because that's what they heard from another just-as-ignorant person. When is society going to stop being a spoon fed baby?

Be happy I deleted the rest...

Oh, to answer your question, it's as safe as you feel it is. Only you can create the would you interact in.

Chris
RocknRollFrenzy
take away the airbag concerns, and i don't think there's going to be to much difference between front and rear seat safety.......as for side impact safety, i just figure i'm a gonner and try not to worry about it......my 914's been lowered a bit......if i get t-boned by a big suv/truck its going over the top of my door and straight into my head........just gotta watch where you're going.......sorta like riding a bike.......and don't plan on ever giving up either........
LS6/914
I have had both of my daughters in all of the various cars we have had through the years. They have been in Lotus Super 7, GT350, 300ZX TT, Comp eliminator Fords. It is part of their understanding of who dad is & I wouldnt change it.
si2t3m
Same as above. ''It's as safe as you feel it is. Only you can create the world you interact in.''

I drive around with both of my kids (now 8 and 6 years old) in my 70 with no side impact beams in the door. Yes i'm concerned about there safety and I drive the car in consequence.

The enjoy the 914 so much. Must be being next to the driver.

Remember the 70... No Childseat, no one would wear seatbelts, kids running around on the back seat... Dad drinking a cold one while driving to grandpa's...

I still see kids loose on the back seat these days. This gets me mad. I probably get other people mad because i drive the 914 with the kids as passengers...

My wife feels ok about it and so do I and the kids love it. It's one of those great moments when i pick up the kids after class or go for a drive with one or both of them.

Marc-André
fraggle00
This should fix the issue. A little spendy, but I know I'm going to get one as soon as my new baby is big enough (currently s/he is -8 months old!!)

Recaro Child Seat
rick 918-S
QUOTE(blonde914 @ Feb 11 2004, 04:10 PM)

Rich, Are you nuts! 5 people in your car!

cool_shades.gif You have to ask? confused24.gif wacko.gif blink.gif
red914
nice to see that other children are claiming the 914 beofre their parents are gone. i've only had my three in the little red car one at a time, but they all love it. as has been said before, but probably can't be said too often, driving very aware and on the defense is the best plan. small, but agile gives us a good advantage. oh, and steer clear of angry people in large vehicles screaming into their cell phones.
GaroldShaffer
Sorry to pick on you for this, but.....

YOU NEED TO BE MORE AWARE ALL THE TIME.

Not being aware is not an option. When you are driving your 2 ton truck "not being aware" is when you are going to hit another club member and kill his/her kid.

Weather you are driving a truck or a 914 - pay attention to the road, and what is going on around you. When you are driving a larger vehicle, you are far more likely to kill other people, if not yourself.

That is what I ment. I use to drive 150 miles round trip to work and back every day for 7 + years. I know very well what happens when people don't pay attention, I seen it every day on I94 & 290 here in Chicagoland. I guess I didn't come across they way I wanted to. Bottom Line, pay attention.

- Garold
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 11 2004, 03:18 PM)
...The 914 has very large crumple zones front and rear; much larger than just about any other contemporary sports car...

I can personally attest to their frontal crash worthyness! The below is a 30-mph hit into a brick retaining wall, centered mostly on the left side of the bumper.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Both doors had the same gap and worked PERFECTLY!. The break-away tranny mounts didn't help much with towing her onto the flatbed sad.gif
scotty
Heck, even the lights still work!
Rich Bontempi
My 6 year old daughter Loves to ride in my 914's, (as do I). And although I'm more careful driving when she is in the car, life is way too short and you can't worry about everything. Otherwise we wouldn't have any fun. Some people worry about everything and don't enjoy life enough (In my humble opinion). And as I have said for 30 years, If I only could have one car, it would be a 914!!
GWN7
Child car seats are designed for the height and weight of each child. At certain weights/heights each manufacture changes where and how the seats should be instaled in a car and to add to this confusion, it changes with each model of seat manufactured by each manufacture. (We do car seat inspections at work)

If you don't over drive the road and look out for the guy who isn't, put your child in the seat and enjoy life.

Mine dosen't want my 914 , he has his own. But he wants my V8 car when I get it done. laugh.gif
blonde914
I seen it every day on I94 & 290 here in Chicagoland.  I guess I didn't come across they way I wanted to. Bottom Line, pay attention.
- Garold

I see it to on these roads in Chicagoland, actually driving the 914 this fall to Koonce Lake, IN I couldn't get over how small we were compared to the big rigs, I think I could have driven under them. I'm not sure what road we were on going there maybe it was 80, but the traffic was terrible and as soon as it started to rain everyone got stupid. The back roads made it all worth it with all the turns and dips, IT WAS GREAT! My car and no kids (Heaven). wub.gif
mskala
You pick your poison. Sure there are safety advances, some are for the driver
being a moron and some are for the OTHER drivers being morons. I prefer the
latter. smile.gif

I don't think there's a huge amount of difference between the 914 and other
small more modern cars, until you get to stuff like side air bags and that. You
will be much better off when you are t-boned when your head doesn't do like
wile. e. coyote leaving his face impression in a shovel.

SUV owners think they're 'safe'. But it's a good bet that I won't be rolling
12 times in my 914 from any maneuver. The SUV seat belts will probably hold
them in for the first 180 degrees or so.
I agree with what most everyone is saying,

-My dad always used to tell me, make sure you have good tires and good brakes, I would also add, make sure your suspension, ball joints etc are all up to snuff, when properly set up and well maintained, the 914 gains a large safety margin because of how well it handles.

-on the other side, a poorly maintained 914 in addition to being 30+ years old, can be a very dangerous car because of failing brake and or suspension systems.

-Good friends of ours had just spoken with local police regarding this issue after they had had an officer install a child safety seat for them. The officer told them that the back seat is always the safest place, and basically spooked them out of ever placing the baby in the front, but I am pretty sure that this is an air-bag issue. pickup trucks built today (GM trucks I know do this as I owned one) have child safety seat latches built into the passenger side front seat...along with the air-bag shut off switch.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(blonde914 @ Feb 12 2004, 05:50 AM)
... The back roads made it all worth it with all the turns and dips, IT WAS GREAT! My car and no kids (Heaven). wub.gif

A girl after my own heart wub.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(7391420 @ Feb 12 2004, 12:01 PM)
-My dad always used to tell me, make sure you have good tires and good brakes, I would also add, make sure your suspension, ball joints etc are all up to snuff, when properly set up and well maintained, the 914 gains a large safety margin because of how well it handles.

my dad would agree... he says "it's more important to stop that go" stopping is always more important!
ArtechnikA
kids should be in the back.

especially in a 914.

lay 'em in flat, there's room for a couple-three.

toasty warm in the winter time too.

[ DINK mode ]
blonde914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 12 2004, 12:04 PM)
kids should be in the back.

especially in a 914.

lay 'em in flat, there's room for a couple-three.

toasty warm in the winter time too.

[ DINK mode ]

You are absolutely right, from now on all kids in the back! driving-girl.gif
Toast
IMO, as long as your kids enjoy the ride I say take them for a ride. You can be as careful, drive as safe as you can, as slow as you can, and just overall be the safest person in the world. But anything can happen to anyone at anytime.....in Any vehicle. You cannot control the actions/reactions of other people. And sometimes you cannot contol your car.

Yes the newer vehicles have more safty features and are probably more likely to withstand a hit better. But I have also seen older vehilces get into fender benders with the newer one, and came out much better overall.

My 2 cents, ALWAY WEAR A SEAT BELT, follow the guidelines for the childseats, and drive safely and courtously. Thats the best you can do.

And by all means.......Enjoy!
Rgreen914
Wow, it seems everybody around here loves to rag on SUV drivers! Sometimes, imbeciles drive all sizes of vehicles! I drive my Suburban a lot and I find it hard to believe that so many compact car drivers have managed to live as long as they have, driving the way they do! Obviously, they have as much respect for the laws of physics as they do for the traffic laws! These idiots often cut me off as if their 1 1/2 ton POS is immune to the damage my 3+ ton truck could cause if I was a tad late applying the brakes or didn't move out of their way. I often feel that they are simply looking to sue an insurance company...or at least their survivors' will try! It's not so much the size of the vehicle, it's also the I.Q and ability of the driver that's important.

Oh...about the only time I use a cell phone, is to report these suicidal drivers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.