Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bus heat exchangers on 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
luminarycrush
Hi, does anyone know if VW T-IV Bus heat exchangers will fit on a 914-4 cyl (and by fit I mean not hit the body or suspension)? I'm planning a turbo install and want to retain the car's heat, but thought it might be better for turbo plumbing to exit the heat exchangers farther forward.. this might allow me to install the turbo somewhere other than the tail w/ 914 factory heat exchangers.....
melnyk
ditch the HE's and use an aux oil cooler as a heatercore
Katmanken
You do know that the bus engine is located behind the axles with the exhaust aimed rearward and the teener engine is in front of the axles with the exhaust aimed rearward.

Placing bus heat exchangers on the teener will aim the exhaust at the front of the car....

Is that what you want?????

Ken
Cap'n Krusty
The answer to your question, without all the unnecessary crap, is NO. Even T4 HEs, which are a LOT smaller than a bus, won't work. The Cap'n
luminarycrush
Right, I wasn't thinking about the opposite engine mounting direction. What about reversed (left side to right) - even if the flanges have to be modified to make it bolt up to the head - they would not work/fit?
Otherwise I might have to look at something from Tangerine but they are pricey, or some other custom heat exchanger from... where?
I don't think favorably of using an oil heat exchanger - for one I already have a thermostat-controlled auxiliary oil cooler & second I don't like the fact that in cold weather I'm depending on the cooler oil to keep me warm - when I most need it. I could even over-cool the oil perhaps.
Mark Henry
I've thought of this but never tried it, my guess is a lot of custom fab work. I've also thought about using later bus (79-82) boxes as they are just a box with a flange on each end. I would search some junk cores for mock-up as new boxes aren't cheap.

Any/all turbo exhaust set-ups are a total DIY and you're on your own bud.

Cap'n Krusty
Bus HEs stick out 4-6" beyond the valve covers ..................

The Cap'n
McMark
If you wanna go this route, look for 411/412 HE. They might work mounted backwards.
ericread
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 11 2008, 06:14 PM) *

If you wanna go this route, look for 411/412 HE. They might work mounted backwards.

If the HE's are mounted backwards, won't that generate cold air???

Seems like the wrong use for HRs.

Eric Read lol3.gif

AJB
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 12 2008, 03:16 AM) *

If the HE's are mounted backwards, won't that generate cold air???

Eric Read lol3.gif

av-943.gif

Eric, that's funny. I nearly spat my coffee out through my nose!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 11 2008, 05:38 PM) *

Bus HEs stick out 4-6" beyond the valve covers ..................

The Cap'n

With the later bus boxes I wasn't even thinking about mounting them in the stock position.

Turbo exhaust is always going to be a custom part.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.