Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need new clutch and flywheel for 914-6-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcam
Any recommendations? Aftermarket as good as NOS Porsche? Any disadvantages with going with a lightened flywheel. Thanks!
Project 6
http://www.kennedyeng.com/
SLITS
Kennedy Engineering, Lancaster, CA will modify your type 4 flywheel for use on a six engine. They will also sell you their stage 2 clutch assembly .... $$$$

or

Get an early 901 flywheel and have it resurfaced if necessary. Then buy a clutch package from Pelican or ??? . Used flywheel ... up to $125.00. Resurface by machine shop ... $100 ??. Clutch package complete about $450.

Clutch is esentially the same as used on the 2L four cylinder car.
Joe Ricard
I have a lightenened flywheel and it is very different to drive around town with. or hold a steady speed on the freeway.

it's 10 pounds. I love it for Autocross etc. but for a daily driver I would stick with around 12 to 14 pounds.
carcam
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 10 2008, 09:17 PM) *

I have a lightenened flywheel and it is very different to drive around town with. or hold a steady speed on the freeway.

it's 10 pounds. I love it for Autocross etc. but for a daily driver I would stick with around 12 to 14 pounds.

Joe- Pelican Parts lists a 6.4lb flywheel for 914's that "increase performance without effecting driveability"...? If it was that easy than why wouldn't it have come with a lighter flywheel anyway?

How is it different driving around town with a lighter flywheel? I can kind of see how it differs on the highway by being harder to hold a steady speed. Thanks Joe
Joe Ricard
You pretty much have to drive it like a sports car ALL the time.
Until my wife gets a few miles on it she will either stall it or rev it to the moon and slip the clutch like crazy. nothing like her RX-8 or old 928.

I would think nearly anybody can do a clutch in a 914. it's really not hard at all. there is a step by step on Pelican parts tech articles and also I would imagine one somewhere here or on the club.

No need to drop the motor.

If I were you I would get the kit and it has all the parts and seals you need.
914Sixer
PAP parts has new -6 flywheels for a reasonable price. $389. 22
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.