Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Window Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
Ok, so I finally got around to installing my rear window. Of course I first had to remove my existing window. After removing the seats and back pad I could clearly see where the bottom of the window glass was not bonding to (what I thought was) butyl tape. As I started attacking the window, I was praising the PO for using silicon, more butyl tape on the top and on the sides of the window. I guess the PO was worried that the water would run up over the window and not leak from the bottom where the PO had not installed any additional silicon caulking or butyl tape.

So after hours coaxing the window finally was free. I started the task of cleaning the area so install my new “rear defroster” window! I also discovered how the rear window wiring harness goes from engine relay board to the inside of the car. But what surprised me the most was when I started removing the lower caulking and noticed it contain a wire. So I started researching and found that in the stock manuals that you use

WTF.gif Solbit TWS 8mm length 10’ 6” checkout the instructions

So does anyone know where you can get this?

Regards,

James

Click to view attachment

sww914
It's 5/16" butyl tape, available at any autobody supply and some auto parts stores.
davep
The Solbit TWS 8mm was the factory material; and probably factory only. I have a few factory replacement kits and it was more like the regular butyl material. The factory used a caulking with an electrical wire in it. The wire was hooked up to a power supply after the glass was in place, and the wire heated up the caulking to make a better bond. Not something a monkey in a glass shop could be expected to do safely.
dlestep
...Bostik made that stuff, don't know if it is available...
however, Bostik 940FS for sealing, or if you want to bond, 70-04.
Check it out on-line.
I've used a cold install of butyl strip, however, the hot melt butyl is
closer to the Solbit TWS, using DC voltage to melt and seal/bond.
butyl strip can be prep'd using a heat gun, (used for heat shrink).
Hope this helps...Dave type.gif
ahdoman
This is kind of cool to find out! I just removed my rear window and there was a small wire in the butyl and I was wondering why?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.