Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of an engine build up......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I have a 1.8 motor that I'd consider a core. I'd like to use it as the foundation to build a mild street motor. I'd like something that runs carbs and revs. I don't think I need more than 110 to 115 HP. Just something to make it squirt nicely. I don't mind if its a little weak down low, as long as it make decent power up top.

I plan to do the build myself (with some help for sure).

I've read that Len at HAM likes the 1.8 heads and thinks that moving the spark plug makes some cheap HP with them. I'd like to to rev to at least 6500 or 7000 rpm.

Soooo..... do I look for a 2.0 crank, 2.0 Ps&Cs? 96mm Ps&Cs? Do I try to find light components like ceramic lifters? Does lightening the crank or flywheel help? 1.7 rockers? Swivel feet? Dual valve springs? Cam selection? What makes sense.

This is pie in the sky at the moment, so please don't hold me to anything and this might take longer than, well, it might take a while. I'd like to buy the bits as time and budget allow, get the machine work done and then assemble.

I know Jake makes some polished kits with good results, but my budget and the time-line for this are somewhat at odds with a kit buy.

Thoughts? TIA.
r_towle
your HP desires are not to costly to achieve.
Keep the shorter crank, buy better pistons and cylinder..spend some money there...dont cheap out.

Heads...well moving the plug is good for 10-15 HP so I would vote to go for that...

From there, blueprint and balance everything, use lightwieght pushrods, a new camshaft and lifters and swivel feet adjusters.

Should be able to get 120-130 if done properly, measured ten times and assembled with love.

Rich
craig downs
Do a 1911 66x96 that will rev nicely
KaptKaos
The motor I have now is supposed to be a 1911, but I can't be sure. It's Bill's old motor. It runs well but I know my carbs are too big (44s). I also have no clue what the cam is, so that doesn't help much either. Aaron and I tried to measure it, but we didn't do such a good job slap.gif

Maybe I should try smaller carbs before I got to far gone on this new motor idea biggrin.gif

markb
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Nov 10 2008, 10:16 PM) *

Maybe I should try smaller carbs before I got to far gone on this new motor idea biggrin.gif

Good idea smile.gif
r_towle
You will be really happy with 40mm webers or 36mm dells...both flow about the same rate.

the 40 mm solex, now that is a great carb...but very costly to get repaired...though they are out there in droves...

Currently you probably have a finicky drive up until around 3800 rpm...then the 44mm carbs have something to do...until then its just to much air.

Given that statement...what vents are you running in your current carbs?
I think 32mm is the smallest stock venturis that you can run in 44mm carbs, but you can get a set made up at 28mm which would be a nice match for the 1911...

This solution is cheaper and easier than getting new carbs....
Aircooled.net can get a set made up for you and I am sure other companies can also..
If you call Aircooled.net they have a spread sheet with all known workable jetting/venturi setups from alot of customers...and they will share that information happily.
They also will swap jets and vents (provided they are stock sizes) until your setup works. So you can get the car running spot on for just the cost of one set of jets and vents, plus shipping back and forth till you are happy.

Rich
KaptKaos
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 11 2008, 10:39 AM) *

You will be really happy with 40mm webers or 36mm dells...both flow about the same rate.

the 40 mm solex, now that is a great carb...but very costly to get repaired...though they are out there in droves...

Currently you probably have a finicky drive up until around 3800 rpm...then the 44mm carbs have something to do...until then its just to much air.

Given that statement...what vents are you running in your current carbs?
I think 32mm is the smallest stock venturis that you can run in 44mm carbs, but you can get a set made up at 28mm which would be a nice match for the 1911...

This solution is cheaper and easier than getting new carbs....
Aircooled.net can get a set made up for you and I am sure other companies can also..
If you call Aircooled.net they have a spread sheet with all known workable jetting/venturi setups from alot of customers...and they will share that information happily.
They also will swap jets and vents (provided they are stock sizes) until your setup works. So you can get the car running spot on for just the cost of one set of jets and vents, plus shipping back and forth till you are happy.

Rich

I believe I worked with John at Aircooled for the vents & jets on my 44s. I believe I asked about 28mm vents at the time and they weren't an option. I can try again.

r_towle
They are not a stock item, but they can be made.

Rich
r_towle
a cheaper way would be to get 28mm vents for a 40 mm weber, then get a shim from McMaster Carr that fits around the outside and fits into the chamber on the 44mm.

Then you would want to drill one hole in the shim so the set screw actually penetrates the shim and pushes against the true venturi to hold it in place.

Rich
vesnyder
I used a 1.8 as a core and did the 1911 with teh 96 mm P&C's. Used Len's heads and an aggressive can with carbs and I am getting ~120 HP to the wheels. It took some sorting on the carbs to get them tuned but I finally got it sorted and it is running great. Getting 20+ MPG - so far so good! Highly recommended!
KaptKaos
Vance - that's awesome. You have a PM.
Jake Raby
Using a 28mm vent in a 44 weber would really create tuning challenges.. The smallest vent I ever have used effectively in a 44 was 32mm, even then it needed wacky tuning.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 11 2008, 07:36 PM) *

Using a 28mm vent in a 44 weber would really create tuning challenges.. The smallest vent I ever have used effectively in a 44 was 32mm, even then it needed wacky tuning.

I cringed when I saw that you posted. I assumed I was in for a bitch-slapping. slap.gif lol

I'm running 32s now, and get crappy mileage and no power below 3500, so I know I need to do something there first before I get too carried away. I do love the sound they make.
Gint
QUOTE(vesnyder @ Nov 11 2008, 08:30 PM) *
I used a 1.8 as a core and did the 1911 with teh 96 mm P&C's. Used Len's heads and an aggressive can with carbs and I am getting ~120 HP to the wheels. It took some sorting on the carbs to get them tuned but I finally got it sorted and it is running great. Getting 20+ MPG - so far so good! Highly recommended!

Not that I don't believe you, but I'd sure like to see the dyno sheet on that.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 12 2008, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(vesnyder @ Nov 11 2008, 08:30 PM) *

Not that I don't believe you, but I'd sure like to see the dyno sheet on that.

I agree. That would take 140-145HP and I've never made close to that on a 1911 without race gas and 12:1 CR from a 1911.
johannes
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.