Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help! need advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maxincolorado
hey first and foremost im new to the world of 914's, but ive been an avid aircooled vw fan for 2 years now(im 18 now). so here's my question. what should i look for when buying a 914? what years engine size fuel injection or carbs? im planning on making it my daily driver/hill climb car. i can bore out engines for performance but i was wondering if there is a bolt on turbo kit or do you have to fabricate all the header tubing etc. looking foreward to gain some knowledge from the wise 914 owners
Dave_Darling
The main things to look for:

1-- rust
2-- rust
3-- some sort of engine
4-- rust
5-- four wheels attached somehow
6-- rust

...You thought Bugs rusted? 914s may even be better at it than them.

Fuel injection is original; carbs are easier for some people to deal with, an are typically more compatible with lumpy cams.

There is no turbo "kit" currently offered, but a few people have put together setups that have worked well.

You can build any size Type IV engine on any Type IV crankcase, so don't stress too much on exactly which engine you start with.

--DD
plymouth37
Like Dave said look out for rust, rust, and most important of all rust. There is a ton of information on the site, by using the search feature you should be able to find an answer to any question may have. Also check out the "914 info" section (there is a link at the top of the page) for more info on engine years and options.
Oh and welcome.png
johannes
When you buy the car check for rust.
When you improve the engine check for big $
Gint
welcome.png

agree.gif ...what they said...

Sign up for the Colorado-914 email list. The local gang will help you out. Click the link in my sig.
brant
Hi Max,

definitely they rust
changing a motor is simple compared to repairing rust
definitely join the colorado local group

where in colorado are you???? denver?

brant in colorado
maxincolorado
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 11 2008, 08:55 AM) *

Hi Max,

definitely they rust
changing a motor is simple compared to repairing rust
definitely join the colorado local group

where in colorado are you???? denver?

brant in colorado

i live in littleton colorado if any of you colorado guys got a 914 or know somebody with one for sale let me know biggrin.gif
Spoke
Check for these points:

1) Battery in original location with secure battery tray. Some guys move the battery on purpose, some just say that when the battery tray rusts off.
2) Rust in hell hole below battery.
3) Have owner jack the car up by the original jack holes on both sides. These things rust out when road debris gets trapped under the rocker panels.
Gint
Several on craigslist right now. This one is cheap!

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/914325174.html
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 11 2008, 01:01 AM) *

When you buy the car check for rust.
When you improve the engine check for big $

agree.gif

welcome.png Welcome. They are more expensive to build but you will end up with an engine that will put up with alot of abuse. And nothing handles like a teener.

Love this pic, must be that 70-76 914 I see parts for.

Click to view attachment
Gint
Yeah, it's a mutt. Whaddya want for $1200? Old Max here is 18. I'm guessin he doesn't have a whole lotta cash.
maxincolorado
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 11 2008, 03:45 PM) *

Yeah, it's a mutt. Whaddya want for $1200? Old Max here is 18. I'm guessin he doesn't have a whole lotta cash.

actually gint i make very good money right now my problem is saving it haha. right now though i have about 2500 and im selling the ol aircooled vw too so i might be looking around the 4-5000 dollar range. if im going to buy one i want a one thats not going to be horrible (i made that mistake when buying my bug) biggrin.gif
johannes
For that money you can find a pretty decent car in the USA ...

Not in Europe sad.gif ... sadly
maxincolorado
Click to view attachmenthow about this? does it look alright
degreeoff
have you looked for rust? lol....thats the biggie. do you know where to find the rust should it exist....wait it is ALWAYS there...my bad

Josh
Gint
You can't tell squat by looking at a tiny picture Max. Sign up for our local list, shoot an email out with an intro and ask the bpys for help finding a 914. We'll set ya straight. wink.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(maxincolorado @ Nov 12 2008, 01:14 PM) *

Max, I called on that one... he said it's rusted through in the door jambs... I didn't even bother to look after that.

Called on the red one as well... pics make it look nicer than it is (sellers words)

Be patient, you pretty much have all winter.

Ferg
maxincolorado
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 12 2008, 03:47 PM) *

You can't tell squat by looking at a tiny picture Max. Sign up for our local list, shoot an email out with an intro and ask the bpys for help finding a 914. We'll set ya straight. wink.gif

ive been trying to join this club for 2 days now and it sends me to the same page everytime saying oops go back to your profile. its quite irritating headbang.gif
maxincolorado
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 12 2008, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(maxincolorado @ Nov 12 2008, 01:14 PM) *

Max, I called on that one... he said it's rusted through in the door jambs... I didn't even bother to look after that.

Called on the red one as well... pics make it look nicer than it is (sellers words)

Be patient, you pretty much have all winter.

Ferg

thanks for letting me know ferg saves me a trip up there to look at it. seems like colorado isnt the place to find any older cars cause of the things rusting super quick
Gint
QUOTE(maxincolorado @ Nov 12 2008, 10:27 PM) *
seems like colorado isnt the place to find any older cars cause of the things rusting super quick

Nothing could be further from the truth actually. Colorado is one of the driest states around. We don't have high humidity, the highwaty department never really used large amounts of salt, etc... The cold hard facts are that 35 year old cars that weren't galvanized from the factory rust after, well, 30+ years. It's physics and can't be avoided. Even the vaunted "California cars" rust.

QUOTE(maxincolorado @ Nov 12 2008, 10:25 PM) *
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 12 2008, 03:47 PM) *
ive been trying to join this club for 2 days now and it sends me to the same page everytime saying oops go back to your profile. its quite irritating headbang.gif

I have no idea what you're talking about. It's really easy but it's not a web forum it;s an email list that has a minimal presence on yahoo groups. I'll send you a PM this afternoon when I get home from work because I don't think you and I are talking about the same thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.