Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Engine lid grill... project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
I finally got around to cutting the 4' x 10' sheet of perforated metal that I acquired 4 months ago.

The full sheet was just over $200.00 (half of that price was freight cost since it involved shipping a 40 square foot piece of sheet metal stapled to a wooden frame, and wrapped in cardboard).

Anyways, my plan, is to recover the entire engine lid grill with one piece of new grill material, instead of using a stock piece of grill from another lid and modifying it to fit the back half of the GT-style lid.

Here is the cut piece on top of the stock engine lid...

IPB Image

Here is a closeup of the material. It is pretty darn close. The diamond pattern is a smidgin larger, but I think it will look good. It took me a while to locate something this close. The metal is perforated, like the OEM material, instead of being expanded-flattened metal as is more commonly available.

IPB Image

Next, I will cut the stock lid to prepare for the fitting of the new material. Stay tuned!

By the way, I have two extra pieces of material available for sale at $65 each, plus S/H.

The material available will be slightly oversized from what is needed(about 17.5" x 50") and will need to be cut, bent, folded, and trimmed to conform to the engine lid grill.

PM or e-mail if interested.
rick 918-S
Nice! Depending on how you prep and paint the mesh you probably won't be able to tell it from stock! I wouldn't offer that extra for sale until your satisfied with your replacement. Who did you order the mesh from and who is the manufacturer? As I get closer I may want to get some. I was going to use a spare mesh from another lid. I may have to take you up on the spare stuff.... idea.gif
914MF
wub.gif That is nice. If it turns out nice I might be interested.
East coaster
Why?

I've followed everything else you've done to your car and it all seems very functional and exceptionally executed. All I have heard of the GT lid mods is that they're not necessary?? Is it just a preference? No offense, the material looks great.
Jeroen
Hey Qarl,

I did the same thing...

First, wear extra thick gloves, or you'll bleed like a ... (but since you already cut some pieces, I guess you already know biggrin.gif)

More importantly, because of the convex and concave shapes of the lid, you'll have a hard time spanning the mesh over the lid without the mesh "bubbling" all over the place.

Cut the shape of the mesh approx 1/2 an inch to big.
Start attaching it to the center of the lid and work your way to the edges, pulling and stretching it as much as you can to get a decent fit
When it's all done, trim the edges

Good luck and keep us updated

cheers,

Jeroen
TheCabinetmaker
Bet that would look good dipped in black (or yellow)plastic.
watsonrx13
Nice project Karl. This should be very interesting. If you get it completed successfully, I'll bring my engine lid over and you can show me how to. (So if you haven't sold the extra pieces, count me in for at least one section.) Good luck and be careful.
campbellcj
I doubt the GT lid does squat for cooling...but it sure has got to get more unimpeded (and cooler) airflow to the WEBERS aktion035.gif especially keeping in mind that those ITG filters suck down thru the top...

Plus they look cool and can be gutted down to be lighter than a stock lid.

I took the easy route and bought an already-completed one. cool.gif
Brad Roberts
Damn Karl. I would like to beleive our cars will never see rain, but the slim chance it might keeps me from installing the GT lids. It does ZERO for cooling and does nothing but allow more engine noise into the car. I also like the fact that the stock lids match the small side panels next to the lid (part of tub).

B
914werke
I thought that on the actual GT cars those pieces were mesh as well?
campbellcj
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 11 2004, 07:38 PM)
I thought that on the actual GT cars those pieces were mesh as well?

Not in the pics I've seen (incl this one from Jon Lowe's site)

IPB Image
Kargeek
I would like to try this as a metal working project. Maybe first bend a slight break in the mesh across the center and first work the shape over the existing flat panel area. Tack down the mesh using sheet metal screws in the panel (you are going to cut the area out later) fold the front and half the sides then go for what is the regular mesh area. You can gently use a hammer, dolly or spoon and work the compound areas. Grind the head of machine bolts down, round and tack them to the new mesh. Dave
campbellcj
This is the lid I bought several years ago, for $150-200 IIRC. Based on the reports I've read they sound like a PITA to fabricate so this seemed like a lucky find.

IPB Image
vortrex
the one chris has looks like it came from sergio and he is selling them for $200 in the parts forum. I think they look great, functional or not. if I had a 914 I'd get one!
Bleyseng
Why not just do some cool louvers on the flat metal part? Kinda that custom look... wink.gif

I have a extra engine lid I was thinking about doing this grill thing to. How hard is it to do? Hours wise?
I don't have to worry about rain ever getting in there in Seattle.....
Geoff
Gint
A couple of coats of powder coat might make those holes seem a little smaller.
bernbomb914
I bought one with loovers already punched in it. I will install it when it gets painted. Tape some ribbons on your cover and see which way the air flows.

bernie
campbellcj
Yep; the name Sergio sounds familiar...I bought it like 3-4 years ago so it's pretty fuzzy. unsure.gif

Actually now that I look again...I'm pretty sure the pic is not the one I have. The one in the pic doesn't have the diagonal "crossbar" piece, which mine does but I'm about to cut it out, as well as remove the hinges. Going to lighten it as much as possible and attach w/ captive-pin latches.
Jeroen
Kargeek,

That's pretty much what I figured before I started
You'll soon learn that the shapes of the lid are no where near as rectangular as they apear...
Hammering the mesh into shape is pretty tough to, as is much harder to shape than regular sheetmetal (much higher elasticity factor)
Like I said earlier, start in the middle and work your way out
Other wise, if you got on part down, the mesh will "pop up" some where else

cheers,

Jeroen
nein14
I actually used the same material a year ago on my 914/6 GT lid conversion. I got the material from Mc Master- Carr catalog located in New Brinswick, New Jersey. Dead nut for the OEM material.
Qarl
The two pieces I have sold.

I bought mine from...

http://www.hkperf.com

http://www.hkperf.com/instock/stdeco.html (diamond pattern)
SirAndy
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 11 2004, 05:09 PM)
I doubt the GT lid does squat for cooling...but it sure has got to get more unimpeded (and cooler) airflow to the WEBERS aktion035.gif especially keeping in mind that those ITG filters suck down thru the top...

agree.gif my motivation to get one was to get more fresh (cold) air to the intake (plus, i like the looks!) ...

Andy
Howard
Here's another. PO had cut 2 openings just forward of engine grill. I like it, but used round perforated steel (looks like from a screen door). Just bought the steel sheet from Home Depot $9. 12x24 so not big enough for one opening, but should work fine on my 2, 5.5x20.
seanery
Howard,
I keep seeing pictures of your white car. I coulda sworn yours was silver. Did I miss something? confused24.gif
Howard
You missed the parking lot saga. Hit by a truck, but he was insured. Rather than repaint the front end, did whole car in 2003 VW 'Mellow Yelllow' (thanks, redshift).

Does look kinda light, but really is yellow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.