Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Tie Rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mojorisen914
If I am wanting to upgrade the original tie rods; is there anything else needed to do this other than a Turbo Tie Rod Kit?

All help is appreciated folks.

Thanks.
914Sixer
I am not an expert but I think that is it. There maybe custom stuff that may be adapted.
Gint
Actually, if you buy the Lemforder units they are complete with everything you need. There are no modifications to be done to install them.
blitZ
Definitely get the kit with the Lemforder ends, anything else is crap. This is a good time to install a bump steer kit if you might lower the car at some point.
mojorisen914
Where's a good place to purchase this? Also, I'm putting new rear springs on and Bilsteins all the way around; this shouldn't interfere with that should it?
Eric_Shea
bye1.gif

You need to make sure you get the "kit" as well because it contains the spacer washers. There was a discussion a while back on these.

They will not interfere with anything.
wbergtho
Lemforder ends

What the hell is a Lemforder end? I just bought a turbo tie rod kit off E-Bay for $126 + $15 shipping and now you've got me worried I don't have the hallowed Lemforder units! av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif I assume it is the German manufacturer.
Eric_Shea
You have to be "very" careful with the eBay ones.

The rubber boots are not protected and they split in about 4 weeks. This leaves your newly purchased tie rod exposed to the elements or worse yet... allows the elements to gather behind what's left of the rubber boot.

Learn from my mistakes. I had to purchase two new Lemforder ends and guess what the price ended up being on the bargin units? Same as the real deal.

Go with Lemforder for sure. Serious.
wbergtho
Are the Lemforder ones marked as such? Can you buy replacement rubber boots?
Eric_Shea
Lemforders come in a blue box marked as such.

I think someone found a boot online somewhere but it is not available as a standard item. The Lemforder ends list for $43 each though... sad.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Nov 12 2008, 11:09 AM) *

kit off E-Bay

I bought a "turbo tie rod kit" off ebay a while back and immediately after I won the auction, some unidentified person sent me an email basically saying to bail out on this purchase and buy the Lemforder set.

I received the unit and never opened it. I called the seller and shipped it back to him.

Bought the Lemforder kit from PP or AA.
Eric_Shea
or here... biggrin.gif

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...565/1478286.htm
wbergtho
Looks like I'll be getting turbo tie rods made by Hamburg Technic in Germany. Are the Lemforder tie rods the only ones worth a shit or are there other German manufacturers that make similar quality. At least the ones I'm getting aren't made in China, Indonesia or Taiwan.
ellisor3
I have a 911 suspension with the factory stamp on the tie rods, how do you tell if you have the turbo tie rods, are the Turbos the OEM version for the 911?
Eric_Shea
I don't know about the other manufacturers. Sorry.

James. The left end that connects to the steering rack in this picture is the big difference.

IPB Image

The 930 (911 Turbo) tie rods have spherical ends that replaced the rubber used on the 914. I think they arrived on the scene around 1988.
wbergtho
James. The left end that connects to the steering rack in this picture is the big difference.

So...let me get this straight...It is the end that connects to the steering rack that is lacking in quality on the non Lemforder units. In particular, the boots break in about 4 weeks and the spherical bearing gets wasted by FOD...correct? The file photo of the ones I'm buying is exactly the same as your's...however they may be substituting cheaper parts. Am I wrong to assume that anything made in Germany should be of acceptable standards? The Ebay site says they exceed OEM standards...& have a 12 month warranty. I guess if they fail by the end of next summer, I'll warranty them.
Eric_Shea
Nope... the more delicate outer boot on the right is what cracks immediately. The spherical bearing is covered by the large boot which should be fine.

Save the warranty. I hope it goes well.
wbergtho
Gotcha...Thanks. Maybe I'll just ship them back rather than test their warranty procedures. If they're anything like AA, I'll be stuck w/ them.
ellisor3
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 12 2008, 01:33 PM) *

I don't know about the other manufacturers. Sorry.

IPB Image

The 930 (911 Turbo) tie rods have spherical ends that replaced the rubber used on the 914. I think they arrived on the scene around 1988.

Thanks, that clears that up pray.gif
ellisor3
I also found these. I called and they are German made. Seems cheaper than PP or AA.

http://www.allzim.com/cgi/sh000001.pl?REFP...a930TRK#a930TRK
andys
Slight hijack, but what's the wrench size for the rack end hex? Also, do you need to grind thin an open end wrench, or can one buy something thin (like a bicycle wrench or)?

Andys
Eric_Shea
The Zims stuff is an excellent price. and... their customer service is top notch. I don't know the brand but, they'd probably stand behind it if it went kaapuut.
mojorisen914
Ok, just for the record; you guys got me all fuch'd up these....lmao.

Besides the Lemforder set; which is another good set to use? Hamburg Technic?

headbang.gif no, wait....I meant to do this aktion035.gif
ellisor3
I did verify that Zimms has the Hamburg Technic Turbo Tie Rods for $135. Still do not know if they are any good or not though
Gint
Read Eric's last post. Zims will stand behind what they sell I'm sure. Buy a set. If you're unhappy I'm sure Zims will make it right. And let us know which way it goes.
914Sixer
Lemforder tie rods and parts have a stamp on them. I will had a picture later with the symbol on them.
mojorisen914
If I can save a few dollars and still get a good part; then that will leave more money to buy other stuff for the teener... piratenanner.gif
euro911
Looking for new tie rods, I ran across this thread from Dec 2008.

URO has come on the scene since the thread ended (I think), and I've heard that URO is making good stuff ... yes, no?

Car Stuff has a good price on a URO turbo tie rod kit (including the boots) $112.50 shipped

Link

What do you guys think? confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
Hamburg Technic and URO are Chinese. I'm not bashing China etc. but in the past, those units from there have not had proper anitozonates in the rubber mixture. A few weeks in the fresh air of LA and... they crumble to pieces.

There are pictures here... I took them. I'll try to find them.
Eric_Shea
Thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...tie++rod++turbo

Pictures:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Math:

Lemförder turbo tie rod ends = $40.00 each

New Boots = $10 each

Total cost for El Cheapo kit = $180.00 plus shipping of new parts ($190ish?) <----- El Cheapo prices have come down since then.

New Lemförder kit, complete $188.00
euro911
No need to say any more, Lemforders are on my wish list laugh.gif

What about URO's control arm bushings confused24.gif
nsr-jamie
I am installing these this weekend along with the Weltmiester bump steer kit.

Lemforders

IPB Image

SUNAB914
Rob,
Go with the Lemforders, you will not be disappointed.
flash914
Pelican sells the wrench thin on on end spanner on the other I have it If some one wants to borrow it. Live in littlerock work in SF valley PM me.
SUNAB914
Harbor frieght has a whole set of thin wrenches, work perfectly.
euro911
OK, Lemforder tie rod ends in hand. Will probably upgrade to the complete TURBO rod kit when funds become available.

Does anybody have good or bad experiences to share about URO's front control arm bushings ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.