Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dry Chemical Fire Exstinguisher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
I was driving with a friend of mine, he was in front of me with his 66 bug, and the engine caught fire (fuel fire). He pulled over quickly and I got out my fire exstinguisher and put out the fire. Like normal the stuff went everywhere, I was wondering if the chemican was corrosive? Dad said so, so I told him to go wash the car, cleaning everything.

Thanks
andrew
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 11 2004, 05:41 PM)
I was wondering if the chemican was corrosive? ...

depends on exactly what the chemical was (you still have the cannister and can check, yes?) but mostly, yeah, that's stuff's corrosive, bigtime, especially to nonferrous alloys (aluminum, magnesium...)
Andyrew
Lets see its contents are : Monoammonium phosphate, mica, ammonium sulfate, and I think thats it.

help any??

Andrew
Rog914
Now that used up your old fire extinguisher, buy a good Halon or more ozone friendly Halotron fire extinguisher for your 914. There a bit more expensive (halon about $130, halotron about $100) but worth the money. They leave no harmful residue (except for what the fire has damaged).

Ralph

74 2.0
Andyrew
Ive got a new Kiddie sitting next to me. Going to put it in the trunk before I drive the car tomorrow.

Andrew
Rich Bontempi
I have a suggestion.Now that you have purchased a good fire extinguisher (halon or halotron). Don't put the fire extinguisher in the trunk. Mount it somewhere in the cabin of your 914 , so if you need it , you can get it quickly. I have seen 914's burn to the ground, when the driver was unable to get to the trunk fast enough or forgot that they had the extinguisher in the trunk at all.
Andyrew
I plan on mounting the fire extinguisher in the car. I just havent had time to do it yet, (and I dont know where to put it). I want to finish my interior before I mount it somewhere.. And I didnt buy an expensive one.. I bought a Kiddie (no name I guess..) that meets the rules for racing. Next one I get will be a nice one.

Thanks though!

Andrew
GWN7
The monoammonium phosphate is the extinguishing agent. The mica is in there to prevent caking (packing) of the material and the ammonium sulfate is there to keep them moisture resistant. The last two are trace materials.

They are nontoxic. I would recommend that you vacume as much of the material up before you wash the area and when you do wash it use copious quantities of water to remove any remaining.
Rich Bontempi
A good mounting spot in the 914 is right in front of either the driver or passenger seats, on the floor. You can check the travel of the seat that you need ,then screw the extinguisher mount right to the floor (either on top of the carpet or under the rear edge of the carpet. It won't be in your way, getting in or out of the car, but it will be easily accessible.
iiibdsiil
That's pretty sad that we all drive around with fire extinguishers in our cars.

Mine is my center console.

- Brett Smith
campbellcj
A 2.5lb halon bottle fits perfectly in the appearance group "tray" between the seats, if you remove the lid/cushion.

A 5lb bottle fits in that same spot if you remove the tray; you can cover the bare tunnel with aluminum or carpet or vinyl or whatever turns you on, and then screw the bracket solidly down into the tunnel sheet metal.

Personally I have a 5lb Amerex Halon bottle in that spot now and am about to install a Spa AFF 3-nozzle system too. And a fuel cell.

FIRE == BAD
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(iiibdsiil @ Feb 11 2004, 09:51 PM)
That's pretty sad that we all drive around with fire extinguishers in our cars.

No, what's said is the millions of people who drive around without fire extinguishers in their cars. Even the ones in new cars!!

Then again, I have one in my 914 but not in my Honda...

--DD
Andyrew
But the 914 doesnt run right??

Maybe its time to put it in the honda...

Any update on your car Dave??

Andrew
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 12 2004, 03:43 PM)
But the 914 doesnt run right??

OUCH ohmy.gif headbang.gif happy11.gif
Dave_Darling
Naaah. It'd only be painful if it weren't true... wink.gif

No updates.

--DD
Andyrew
Scott, from the latest I have heard, it doesnt run.. thats why I said that.. Not dissin his car laugh.gif .

Andrew
Scott Carlberg
Yeah I knew that Andrew, I'm not dissin Dave or his 914 either.

just having some fun
Rich Bontempi
The reason we put Halon fire extinguishers in our cars is because we know other cars will catch on fire, not ours. And we're such good people, we like to help others. Seriously, I got in the practice of having an halon extinguisher in all my good cars since starting to autocross in 1976 (it was reccommended) Since then I've used mine at sears point to put out a flaming Pantera, just past turn 8-A, during a session, and twice on the street on a 356 and a ferrari. You just don't use your Halon on any kind of car, they're expensive!
Mueller
I've used mine on a San Jose Police car that ran into a house.....I didn't even get comp'd for a new one ;(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.