Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie needs some help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Keoni914
Hello everyone! I'm not new to the 914 world because our first Porsche was a '72 914 which is long gone. We bought another one, a '72 and it has some issues that I need to fix. If this is not the right place to ask, please advise or move it to the approp area.

There is a hesitation when accelerating and goes away when finally in 5th gear. (Almost like it's starving for gas.)Is there a common area to look at? Injectors? Fuel filter? <Nah, can't be that?

I have noticed the lights flicker when driving, not a lot but noticeable to me. People at work mentioned to look at the generator brushes. Would this be good area to start?

Back to the lights, high beam doesn't even annoy anyone. Could this be also related to the flickering problem?

Gosh, sorry to ask so many questions, I've got more but will wait until I get these resolved, one at a time.

Hugh thanks in advance.

Keoni914 welcome.png

Dr Evil
Hey Neighbor, welcome.png

For the lights and power stuff, start with cleaning every wire contact you can find and all of the fuses and fuse holders. This will likely net you some good results.

Where in the NE PA area are you? My Dad lives in Montrose.
southernmost914
I have noticed the lights flicker when driving, not a lot but noticeable to me. People at work mentioned to look at the generator brushes. Would this be good area to start?

Back to the lights, high beam doesn't even annoy anyone. Could this be also related to the flickering problem?

Gosh, sorry to ask so many questions, I've got more but will wait until I get these resolved, one at a time.

Hugh thanks in advance.

Keoni914 welcome.png

Sound like your headlight stop needs adjusted and your headlight assembly is vibrating and beams need adjusted higher. bye1.gif
Steve
Keoni914
Sound like your headlight stop needs adjusted and your headlight assembly is vibrating and beams need adjusted higher. bye1.gif
Steve

Steve, it's not that. Flicker as in going dim then bright.

Keoni914
Keoni914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 13 2008, 06:35 PM) *

Hey Neighbor, welcome.png

For the lights and power stuff, start with cleaning every wire contact you can find and all of the fuses and fuse holders. This will likely net you some good results.

Where in the NE PA area are you? My Dad lives in Montrose.

Hello Mike, Lower Poconos area!

I'll look at that over the weekend!

Thanks

Keoni914
jc914
welcome.png I agree.gif with Dr Evil post a pic of your 914
Keoni914
QUOTE(jc914 @ Nov 13 2008, 07:17 PM) *

welcome.png I agree.gif with Dr Evil post a pic of your 914

Thanks but he didn't ask me to post a photo.

Keoni914
melnyk
HEY NEPA neighbor! make sure your charging at 14volts the voltage reg might be suspect, or even a battery ground...
ericread
OK You have two issues to resolve in your post.
1. Hesitating when accellerating.
2. Front light flicker.

Are they related. Why don't you take a close look at your electrical system first. Start at the battery.
1. What the voltage at the poles with the car ignition off.
2. Start your engine and rev the engine once over 2K RPM, what's your battery pole-to-pole voltage now (Don't trust the voltage meter in your console, if you have one. It is for entertainment purposes only).
3. Take a look at the pole-to-pole voltage at three or four different RPMs. I your voltage fluctuating?

To look any further, please provide information on your engine? FI or carbatooters? Standard or customized configuration?

We all look forward to your response.

Eric Read wavey.gif

Keoni914
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 14 2008, 11:45 AM) *

2. Front light flicker.

Are they related. Why don't you take a close look at your electrical system first. Start at the battery.
2. Start your engine and rev the engine once over 2K RPM, what's your battery pole-to-pole voltage now (Don't trust the voltage meter in your console, if you have one. It is for entertainment purposes only).
3. Take a look at the pole-to-pole voltage at three or four different RPMs. I your voltage fluctuating?

To look any further, please provide information on your engine? FI or carbatooters? Standard or customized configuration?

Eric Read wavey.gif

Eric it's a 1.7 FI

Will check the volts across the terminals tomorrow. Thanks!

Keoni914
Keoni914
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 14 2008, 11:45 AM) *
2. Front light flicker.

Eric Read wavey.gif

Eric, at off the voltage is around 13.xx.

At idle it's moving between 14 & 15 and points in between.

At 2k is ping ponging with WILD swings 12's 13's 14's While the voltage is going back and forth I don't notice any change in the idle.

Do I need, a voltage regulator, a alternator, or another 914? sawzall-smiley.gif

Another question, is changing the fuel filter a DIY?

Thanks, what a great board!

Keoni914
ericread
QUOTE(Keoni914 @ Nov 17 2008, 05:06 PM) *

Eric, at off the voltage is around 13.xx.

At idle it's moving between 14 & 15 and points in between.

At 2k is ping ponging with WILD swings 12's 13's 14's While the voltage is going back and forth I don't notice any change in the idle.

Do I need, a voltage regulator, a alternator, or another 914? sawzall-smiley.gif

Another question, is changing the fuel filter a DIY?

Thanks, what a great board!

Keoni914

1. The voltage should be 13.4 volts, so that looks good.
2. You should never see 15 volts. Looks like trouble
2. At 2K, the voltage is ping-ponging with swings in the 12's, 13's and 14's.
Question: Is this measured at the battery poles or at the console meter? If what you're seeing is real, then it would appear to me your generator is on it's way to failing. You could change out your VR, but I've never seen one go bad.

BTW; When you turn on your headlights, does the voltage drop back to the 13-volt level, or does it continue to bounce?

These are pretty hearty generators. For example, when I was changing out the Previous Owner's generator upgrade POS, I purchased a used 914 generator off eBay for $40.00. It was sold to me as a good core, but with no guarantees on it's working out of the box. My thoughts were that I would have it re-wound with new brushes and replace the existing unit. When it arrived, my existing generator was giving me much grief, so I blindly put the eBay generator in my car. Since then (14 months later) I have not had any generator problems whatsoever using the eBay unit!

Maybe I just got lucky. Anyway, you generator is not being regulated properly. Left alone, it will potentially begin burning out your headlights and radio/electronics.

Why don't you do this. Check the wiring between the genertor and the relay board. Look for faulty cable or areas where the circuit can short. If everything looks good at that point, replace the Voltage Regulator with a NEW unit. Replacing it with a unit that is not known good is only going to confuse you more. If that makes no difference, replace the generator.

Once you get this fixed, you will look back and laugh!!! Actually you'll be too busy troubleshooting other areas of your teener to remember to laugh! hahaha!

Good luck!!!

Eric Read

rick 918-S
welcome.png Did you ever get this sorted?
Gint
I don't have any idea if he resolved it or not. He was on the site this morning. welcome.png I didn't see this thread the first time around.

I fixed all of the quotes in this thread. bye1.gif
ConeDodger
There are several grounds that could be effecting your car as well... One is at the battery to the body wall above it. One is above the tail of your transmission. There are several other minor grounds as well...

I recently had some of the same problems with my 911. It turned out to be the ground from the battery to the body.
Keoni914
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 14 2009, 11:52 AM) *

I don't have any idea if he resolved it or not. He was on the site this morning. welcome.png I didn't see this thread the first time around.

Nope not fixed yet. Bought a spare Alternator on eBay and might get it rebuilt in Amish Country. I did clean up the battery ground very well. Still have the flicker. I'll look at the regulator next.

Thanks

KEoni914
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Keoni914 @ Feb 14 2009, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 14 2009, 11:52 AM) *

Nope not fixed yet. Bought a spare Alternator on eBay and might get it rebuilt in Amish Country. I did clean up the battery ground very well. Still have the flicker. I'll look at the regulator next.

Thanks

KEoni914

Check all the grounds. Check to see if there is a ground strap from the rear of the chassis to the rear of the transaxle.
markb
Yup, check & clean all the grounds. I bet that solves many of your issues.
Keoni914
This Newbies problem is SOLVED! smilie_pokal.gif

It was the Voltage Regulator, Holy Smokes Bat Man.

A friend of ours is very knowledgeable in all type of Porsches and has owned several 914's. During our Region meeting I asked if he might have a VR. He e-mailed me later and he did have one! AND AND he also gave me the service manuals!!!!! What a guy!!!!!!!!!!!! beerchug.gif

So, huge Thanks for all the help so far here, I appreciate. Now I tackle the brakes.

Regards

Keoni914
Keoni914
Darn, I got way too excited! The service manuals are not in the box. He did leave me the Original Parts Catalog and a older repair manual. Beggars can't be choosy!

I'm still a happy guy!

Keoni914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.