Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: classes for trophies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rick 918-S
I would volenteer to get prices, order, and deliver the trophies.
Everyone make suggestions for classes.
Popular voting always seems to work good. Everyone gets a ballot in there prepaid entry. We set up a drop box and everyone votes for what they like.

On the pre-paid entry subject. We could class the cars when we receive the entry form. I'm sure we don't need more that 4 or 5 classes.

Yarooon, Are you suggesting we get trophies like the one you posted? I saw the picture but I didn't see why you posted it.

If i'm on someones toes just tell me you have it covered.

EDIT:

I just went and read Ya roons post on the trophies. How many do you think we'll need? I have a friend that works in a custom cabinet shop. I know I can get him to do some one off wood bases. I've done some sand blasting stencil work on glass. I think I could enlist my build crew to make a nice custom trophy.

Plaques and stuff shouldn't bee too hard.

If i'm on someones toes just tell me you have it covered.
rick 918-S
Jeff dropped me a PM and asked me to move on the tropies. I need some help with classes.

Best Stock 4

Best Stock 6

Best V8 conversion (maybe we can get the V8 factory car eh? laugh.gif

Best paint

best Interior

Long Distance Award

Long distance Overseas.
Long distance America.
Long distance 914 (on a trailer)
Long distance driving a 914.

Best Custom (body and interior mods, Kit bodies, to be defined)

Best race car

All peoples choice awards. I need help classing cars. all suggestions welcome.

Becareful how may classes we have for a peoples choice voting. If there are too many people tend not to vote.

Some of these can be presented at the farewell BBQ by us.
VegasRacer
On the Long Distance awards .....
Maybe different classifications like.....
Long distance Overseas.
Long distance America.

Will we also want to do trophies for different classes in the Auto-X ?

Are the trophys just going to be for the winner in the different classes or will there be 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards?
seanery
Don't forget about the V8 cars. I'm sure we'll see a few there.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 14 2004, 06:03 AM)
Don't forget about the V8 cars. I'm sure we'll see a few there.

I'll add it to my original post.

Thanks

Should we have a class for the LE's and Specials It may make it nice to give them some special recognition separate from the 4 cylinder class.

Anyone on good terms with George? How about tsisting his arm with a promise of a class for the best 916 in Show? laugh.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Feb 14 2004, 05:22 AM)
Maybe different classifications like.....
Long distance Overseas.
Long distance America.

Will we also want to do trophies for different classes in the Auto-X ?

Are the trophys just going to be for the winner in the different classes or will there be 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards?

I love every on of those idea's.
Jeroen
Concours:
- Best original /4
- Best original /6
- Best modified /4
- Best modified /6 (conversion)
- Best V8 conversion
- Best other conversion???
- Best racecar (4's and 6's seperate or together?)
- People's choice (overall)

Hottest 914 babe!

Long distance awards as suggested above

AX classes (how many classes will there be?)
First, second and third in class???

Asshole award

cheers,

Jeroen
EdwardBlume
With AX classes you could do:

Stock: 1,2,3
Improved 1,2,3
Race 1,2,3

Most improved time
Cone King
EdwardBlume
We could also distiguish between 4s and 6s but it really depends on who's coming out.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ Feb 16 2004, 08:46 PM)
We could also distiguish between 4s and 6s but it really depends on who's coming out.

We will know about that soon. We need to find a treasurer.
rick 918-S
FYI: I wanted to tell you guys about how things run around here. My 16 yr old son Aric has two friends that kind of live here. They were over last night and we had a planning meeting about 12:30 am. I spoke with one of the friends mom yesterday about him getting out of school early for the event. She ok with it as long as his grades are on track and the school will go along with it. They are committed to keeping the grades inline and doing everything I ask to make this happen.

The only way this is going to work is if I drive out by myself and fly the crew (which consists of my 16 yr old son, his two 17 yr old friends, my 14 yr old son, and my wife) out one way later. I will need to pick them up at the airport on Thursday night. My wife actually seems ok with the whole idea too. So keep your fingers crossed for me and the boys.

The trophy build may become school credit. All the boys go to a forward thinking Charter School.

In any event they are ready to work!
EdwardBlume
If we can help pick folks up the airport, or find a decent hotel, let me know.

With the trophies, when can they start? How many would be a reasonable amount to pass out? How can we incorporate newer folks to AXing?
rick 918-S
Thanks, We're having a meeting this weekend. I'll know more next week.
Jeroen
Rich,

Since it sounds like you will be building the thropies...

What you wanna do?
Do you have a possibility to engrave the acrylic?
Nicest / easiest would be if we can have the acrylic engraved by someone who has a computer controlled "engraver"
I can make the logo's and text for the trophies and just e-mail the files

Another option that I know will look good (did it before) is to have the logo / text cut in vinyl stickers as a mirror image and stick these on the back of the acrylic
Silver vynil or matte clear vynil (looks like it's etched) will look very good.
Again, it's fairly easy / cheap to have these stickers cut

cheers,

Jeroen
(blurting out more stoopid ideas)
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Feb 18 2004, 08:33 AM)
Rich,

Since it sounds like you will be building the thropies...

What you wanna do?
Do you have a possibility to engrave the acrylic?
Nicest / easiest would be if we can have the acrylic engraved by someone who has a computer controlled "engraver"
I can make the logo's and text for the trophies and just e-mail the files

Another option that I know will look good (did it before) is to have the logo / text cut in vinyl stickers as a mirror image and stick these on the back of the acrylic
Silver vynil or matte clear vynil (looks like it's etched) will look very good.
Again, it's fairly easy / cheap to have these stickers cut

cheers,

Jeroen
(blurting out more stoopid ideas)

Thanks, I will have a better idea after the weekend. I thought about using a stencil and sand blasting the Acrylic panel.
Maybe from the back side. Then add the event plaque idea or design you have posted in the logo thread to the wood or possibly aluminum base. Any idea's you have are more than welcome.
Jeroen
If you go for the sandblasting route, you could use a vinyl sticker as a stencil
I can design these and e-mail you the files
Take the files to a vinylcutter / shop and they can cut you the stickers/stencils

Lemme know if you wanna try it and I'll mail you...

cheers,

Jeroen
rick 918-S
Yes, I want you to do the design work. You decide what font type and graphics you want. I will post an organized list of classes this weekend. We can decide on the size of the Acrylic together.

Do you think we should use the event logo on the base? When we have all the info and design work done send me what you have to my personal email with instructions..

cyfied@uslink.net
Jeroen
Hey Rich,

I was thinking to put the event logo and class notification all on the acrylic
I'll try to post some scetches when I get home...

cheers,

Jeroen
JeffBowlsby
Thanks Rich and Jeroen for working through these issues and coming up with a great awards program. And for offering to build them. I hope it wont detract too much from Project Alien Rich, to do all this. Please let me know what expenses you will have (even an estimate) for the awards and art work so that you are reimbursed.

I would propose to keep the categories more minimal than too many. Everyone will get something to take home with them, but if we only have 50 914s we cant have 75 awards... laugh.gif I think we all agree that most awards should be determined by popular vote so we will also need voting cards in the goodie bags.

I propose something like:
* Best 914/4
* Best 914/6
* Best 914/8
* Trickest 914 modification (non-racecar)
* Best 914 Racecar
* 914 Tech Quiz winner
* People's Choice Overall Best of WCC 2004
* AX classes TTOD, Best Improved Time, and Cone King

Thats 10 trophies, about one for every 3-4 attendees.

I think I would...scrap the long distance awards, at least as trophies...we all know who will take those...and it adds several trophies to make. Maybe as certificates? smile.gif

Also I think all the awards should indicate the WCC 2004 Event Name, logo and the 914Club and be of excellent quality. These will be keepsakes.

Let me know what you guys decide and how things go. It looks great so far. If you need my help just ask. My cell number is on the event staff page, by my name.
Jeroen
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Feb 19 2004, 11:12 PM)
I think I would...scrap the long distance awards, at least as trophies...we all know who will take those...and it adds several trophies to make. Maybe as certificates? smile.gif

Hey, I that ain't fair. Now I won't have a throphy biggrin.gif

My cell number is on the event staff page, by my name.

I'm not gonna call you and b!tch about it biggrin.gif

Scetch of the thropy coming up in a couple of minutes...

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
This is pretty much what I had in mind...

cheers,

Jeroen
VegasRacer
I like it. IPB Image
seanery
smilie_pokal.gif

Very Nice.

I'm gonna need a new responsibility! laugh.gif
JeffBowlsby
Thats Righteous J. What do you think Rich?

I like it in a huge way and they should be simple enough to fab. as depicted. Maybe a tinted acrylic?

About the logo...it looks like the intent for the little number '1' is to be a car number, so each attendee would have a different number. I support that and each paid attendee will be assigned a unique consecutive numebr for their individual Rallye Shield. But to me the little number '1' looks too...little. Shouldnt it be be visible from a distance? I would say maybe 3-4 time as large? Regardless, I think the car number should be prominent and large as a way to ID a car on a road course, and the car number should not appear on the art used for the trophies or flyers...I am sure you concur...

Also thinking about the Rallye Shields more...if they were a thin/stiff plastic, mounting has been the concern. If we go this route, and if the rallye shields were not so large that a drivers vision were blocked (maybe ~4x6 inches?), they could be easily mounted inside the windshield glass with double stick tape. What do you all think?

I had previously proposed a smallish metal enamelled participation plaque, zip-tied to the foglight grilles or engine grille. I still like the idea of that, if its of high quality as it would be special and become 914 memorabilia. So would the Rallye Shield. Each year for future events, we could develop a unique plaque.

You guys decide, but lets only do one or the other, and agree to make them of high quality. The registration fees will cover the cost.

You guys are awesome...
Jeroen
Hey Jeff,

The "1" stands for the first event of a (hopefully) long series biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
Jeff,

I believe that is "West Coast Classic #1" just without the # sign. As in the innaugural event.
Jeroen
I followed up on part of Jeff's post in the "logo suggestion" thread

cheers,

Jeroen
JeffBowlsby
Ah...so we wont have individually numbered Rallye Shields?

Would an authetic RS have a car number?

I do like the '1' idea of denoteds the first event, but what happens when a year is skipped? I think just the year indicated as you have it may be good enough?
Jeroen
Yes, the shields would be individually numbered
Have another look at the designs posted earlier... they LOOK similar, but there are some subtle differences biggrin.gif

The event# would be specially practical if a year was skipped (i.e. 2006 could be event #2)
It's just a thought though... the little# is gone in the blink of an eye biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Oh... maybe it would be a nice touch to make a "thank you" trophy for sponsors?
As a little token of apreciation...

cheers,

Jeroen
JeffBowlsby
One other pssoible class:

Best Candid Photo of the event. People could post their photos and we could poll from a select set of pics for the popular choice winner. Then send the award by mail after the event.

Hmmmm?
VegasRacer
A 'Thank You' trophy for the sponsors is a great idea.

Some other possible fun Auto-X awards could be for:
Best spin - Most cones - Most improved - Most consistant.
rick 918-S
Double thumbs up! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I'll contact a vinyl cutter/sign shop Monday. I'll find out what format they like for the graphics. I'll post on monday night.

I think all the 1st place trophies should be bigger. Like 4"X 8"

I think the Vendor awards should be a wall plaque. Here's my Idea. same graphic only in a cut-a-way wood frame. It's hard to explain but I thought about some Assie Red Wood on the four corners. Kind of like corners in a photo album. Trust me, It will be cool.

I have a friend that works in a custom cabinet shop. He has some Austrailian hard wood for the bases. I guess It's very red in color. cost is about $ 5.00 a SF. I also about using a wood/acrylic/wood stacking with some source of light in the base. The acrylic would light up like fiber optics. We'll see about that part.
rick 918-S
Ok, Here's the classes I decided on. This has been edited on 2/24/03

- Best original /4
- Best original /6
- Best V8 conversion
- Best other conversion
-Best paint
-Best Interior
-Best Custom (more than 4 mods any non factory style body kits, mods to include interior mods)
-People's Choice Overall Best of WCC 2004

-EDIT: The above are peoples choice. These have been reduced to 8 peoples choice awards. That shouldn't be too hard.

Long distance Overseas.
Long distance America.

We have no Idea who's coming at this point. These awards are nice recognition. I'm making them.

-EDIT: The above will be tallied and presented by the planning group. We will know location by pre-entry.

The tech quiz winner is also not included and that is an important award.

five for the planners to present. this should be do-able.

Will we also want to do trophies for different classes in the Auto-X

AX classes:

Stock: 1,2,3
Improved 1,2,3
Race 1,2,3
Most improved time
Cone King

-EDIT: the above could change based on input from the AX planner or someone that actually has AX experience. Someone post if these are not relevent classes and we'll change them. After Friday they stay as is.
The above will be presented by the AX planners.

5 for the AX planers to present. This should be ok.

Also I think all the awards should indicate the WCC 2004 Event Name, logo and the 914Club and be of excellent quality. These will be keepsakes
Best Candid Photo of the event. People could post their photos and we could poll from a select set of pics for the popular choice winner. Then send the award by mail after the event.

I'll make the photo trophy and we can have a contest on the BBS after the event. This will help promote interest in this event and next years event. This is a future promo to get peoples gears turning and thinking of this event and the next evetn at the same time. Good marketing.

-EDIT: The total of 19 awards. But the actual peoples choice is only 8. A few more than others purposed but some people will win more than one.

I'm leaving it up to Jeroen to make the final cut. He's doing the art. If he doesn't choose to make that many so be it.

We will also need Sponor awards T.B.A. I'm purposing plaques for sponors.

I still need to call the sign shop for file type for the art work.

BTW: I intended to cut the politically incorrect Hot Babe award. She snuck in there during cutting and pasting. At 1:30 AM stuff happens....
VegasRacer
By my count that comes up to 28 awards.
(Did you count 2nd & 3rd place for the Auto-X classes + photo?)

If you don't have a problem making that many, I think it would be great to have as many people as possible take one home.

Jeff or Rob or ??? - Does somebody have a copy of the PCA Auto-X rule book so we know what classes the cars will run in? I don't think PCA classes are the same as SCCA classes?? It is our event so I guess we could do it the way we want. If we have some idea of what to expect we can be sure to have the right ammount and type of awards.
Jeroen
Rich,

The file format the vinyl shop needs if most likely .eps
Have them cut just a small # of stickers first (maybe 2 or 3), so you can experiment with the media blasting and judge the results.
No use in ordering (and paying) 30 stickers if the final result isn't gonna be what we reckon for... (I think it will, but you never know biggrin.gif)

What size should the throphies and sponsor plaques be?
Lemme know and I'll start working on them

cheers,

Jeroen
JeffBowlsby
Thats WAAAAAYYYYY too many awards. As peoples choice awards, attendees are going to have a hard time selecting even a few 'best' cars, much less near 30 of them, from a pool, of maybe only 40 or 50. So many awards dilutes their significance and only makes it harder...to build that many trophies, to vote on them and to judge them. That awards ceremony would take 2 hours to get through and most would lose attention. With that many awards, you may end up throwing them away because no one would win them. Please limit the awards to about 10 max.

We also dont want to call them 'Concours' either...the LPR PCA whose event we are attending has a judged Concours event and I dont want to confuse the day or distract from that. If 914club attendees want to join the PCA Concours they can, but our awards should not say Concours on them...

Delete the 'hottest babe' category...its not appropriate.

The tech quiz winner is also not included and that is an important award.

Vendors can get certificates to make it easier. Spend your time getting Alien together...

Please reconsider the awards and post a comprehensive list.
rick 918-S
Ok, I went back in after some sleep and re-did the classes. Please read through the original Decision post and comment.

I broke them into easier to digest groups and attempted to adress some of the concerns.
seanery
This is what I would do:

Concours:
-Best /4
-Best /6
-Best conversion
-Best paint
-Best Interior
-People's Choice Overall Best of WCC 2004

-Long distance non 914.
-Long distance driving a 914.

AX Trophies for:
-Stock: 1
-Improved 1
-Race 1

AX Ribbons for:
-Stock 2,3
-Improved 2,3
-Race 2,3
-Most improved time
-Cone King

11 Trophies and 8 ribbons
rick 918-S
Keep them idea's coming. I'll do a final review and revision later in the week. I will have a final cost later in the week.

Jeroen. I have a sign shop to work with. Send me a test file in eps. as an email attachment to cyfied@uslink.net.

I'll forward it to the sign shop for a bid. I only need a test file so if your working on the final style draft don't worry about it.

I'm a computer dork. Is an eps a big attachment?
Jeroen
Hey Rich,

I'll mail you a test-eps later tonight when I get home

What dimensions do you have in mind for the trophies?

cheers,

Jeroen
rick 918-S
I thought the 1st place ones should be taller. That makes sense. 2nd and third could be the same size of the ease of planning.

How's 4"X8" for 1st and 4"X6" for 2nd and 3rd? If your work fits better on a different size just let me know. I'm easy laugh.gif
Jeroen
Hey Rich,

Sorry, I promised to send 'em last night... got home from the office at 01.00 and was to bushed to turn on the computer wacko.gif

The sizes are no problem, I'll get them to you this evening

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Rich,

I just e-mailed you the .eps file

Just a couple of notions...

If you want to etch these on the back side of the acrylic, you need to have them cut in mirror image
You'll also need to tell the vinyl cutter that these are stencils

I hope this will work with the mediablasting/etching (maybe it's too small / detailed)

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
I saw this once on Trading Spaces, what can I say I work at home and the tv is always on, where they used a chemical etching agent that brushed on and rinsed off with water. It looked nice. Probably pick it up at any good hobby store like Michaels.
Jeroen
Sounds smart (and easier)

On a related note...
I'll be on a two week vacation this sunday
Before I leave, I'll e-mail the designs I've got so far to Sean (if you don't mind, Sean)
So incase anyone needs something done with the logo's in one way or the other, Sean can take care of it
(and you don't have to wait untill I return)

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
send me the fonts as well.

Thanks Jeroen!
rick 918-S
Hey Jeroen, Resend the eps. I didn't get the mail. send it to:

cyfied@uslink.net
JeffBowlsby
I'll be on a two week vacation this sunday

Oh NO!!!

Jeroen, how is the webpage coming? I was hoping to make it live in the next week or so. The final decisions for the hotel and event sites are being made in the next few days, and I intend to have the registration materials available for distribution to attendees as early as late next week. Can we get a simple webpage up about the event before you leave on vacation so we don't lose more time?

If we dont have a downloadable registration form on the webpage until you return thats ok...I can just email them out. But if we can have a webpage with the basic event schedule and contact info that we could post and point to that would really be helpful.

Most or all of the info you need for the webpage is already within this forum.

Jeff
seanery
Jeff,
If he can't get it done. We can use one of my domains that is sitting vacant at the moment. MoronThrottle.com. I can do a simple page there with info on it.

edit:
that's nice it's down. hmmm gotta fix that one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.