Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Need good advice from car veterans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Greetings....

Not having much luck on all my Subie forums.... of course, the average age of Subie forum members is about 15.... so that certainly explains it smile.gif I always revert back here..... primarily because we've got a bunch of "old" guys wink.gif

Just bought my 3rd Subie.... and it's my first attempt at trying a "classic" Subaru. Figure I run my own Subie website.... might as well bring something different to the meets, particularly a subie that's older than half my members. I've owned NUMEROUS antique GMs, and a couple 914s as well..... but they both have a STRONG support system... Subaru doesn't for the older cars.

Just bought a 1st year, first generation Subaru Brat. It's a rusty turd... buit the price was phenomenal... and you can't argue with the rarity of a 1st generation brat... they are almost IMPOSSIBLE to find.... I had to have it.

Runs.... but barely
rusty
lots of mods planned

I have a "direction" I want to go. Obviously a WRX engine is in the future, and I already have the EA to EJ engine/tranny adapter secured..... not a problem there.

I more interested in finding suspension parts, wheels, fender flares, etc.

Looking to go W I D E with the wheels and tires... and a decent set of flares will allow me to do that... it'll also allow me to cut out quite a bit of rust and save some work. I'l like to go with old school Nascar style steelie black wheels... a 16, possibly a 17 inch...... but try and find a set that has a 4X140 lug pattern... good luck. Any suggestions?

Also... I've found flares for a Brat... except they look like moster truck flares. I want to go the opposite direction..... lower.... not higher. Any suggestions?

Lastly.... there's still going to be rust to repair, regardless of whether or not I cut it out of the fenders. What is the BEST stuff to ensure that once I repair it, it won't come back to haunt me later?

Once again.... thanks for all the help in advance.

--Matt

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
Saw one of those in a boneyard yesterday! BTW, since you're posting here on a 914 forum, you might as well speculate on doing a 914 engine conversion .................

Why not,? After all they put subies in teeners!

The Cap'n
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 14 2008, 02:02 PM) *

Saw one of those in a boneyard yesterday! BTW, since you're posting here on a 914 forum, you might as well speculate on doing a 914 engine conversion .................

The Cap'n

agree.gif Yeah......a Turbo TIV! Then it can be a NARB.

Oops, I forgot, you can't turbo a blink.gif oh, nevermind.

Cool project. Get some 4 point belts for the rear seats. smilie_pokal.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 14 2008, 02:02 PM) *

The Cap'n

Oh.... I did that a LONG time ago...... I've got more info on subie/914 transplants than anyone I know.

Another 914 purchase is definitely in the future... just didn't have the kind of capital required right now to get into a 914 that meets my standards.... soon though..... definitely soon.

This was kind of an impulse buy..... the guy listed it inappropriately on ebay... instead of listing it as a "1978 Subaru Brat"...... he listed it as a "1978 Subaru".... so it had almost zero views.

In addition.... he had no idea what he was sitting on. I've only seen ONE other 1st gen brat sell on ebay in the past year, and it didn't even run, had no jump seats, and it still sold for $3000. 80's model brats aren't too tough to find.... but the 1st gen brats are damn near impossible.

Mine runs.... and has jump seats..... and the BIN was $1000.

I jumped on it... figured it would make a cool project. If I lose interest.... I can probably double my money.
Mark Henry
My buddy had one of those! The fenders were rusted off almost a foot up the sides, finally the law yanked it off the road although it ran fine.

It was then a field car and ice racer for several years...he beat the living crap out of it, it just wouldn't die.
carr914
A College Fraternity Brother of mine had one of those Brand New. Alot of good memories riding in the back on the jump seats.

I think you should put some 914-6 GT F/G Flares on it. Maybe somebody can Photo-Chop it for you.

T.C.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 14 2008, 06:45 PM) *

My buddy had one of those! The fenders were rusted off almost a foot up the sides, finally the law yanked it off the road although it ran fine.

It was then a field car and ice racer for several years...he beat the living crap out of it, it just wouldn't die.

All I can say is aaaahhhh canada...
We only could Ice race once last year....I was pissed.

Rich
Gint
Looks familiar!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...0297331933&

That's right down the street! Well, it was this morning anyway when we were down at Danny's place.

Always wanted a Brat despite the fact that they are the slowest slugs on the planet.
sww914
Good advice?
Sell it and buy a Camry. smile.gif
Bad advice, enjoy your project.
I always wanted one of those too.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 14 2008, 05:33 PM) *

I think you should put some 914-6 GT F/G Flares on it. Maybe somebody can Photo-Chop it for you.

T.C.

You know.... if I thought they would fit.... I would. I've always liked the looked of a "riveted-on" fender..... I'd have to go with 914 front fenders on all 4 corners though, to avoid the "flat" spot that 914s have in the rear.

I'd hate to spend the $$$ on a set to find out they aren't even close though.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 15 2008, 08:50 PM) *

Looks familiar!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...0297331933&

That's right down the street! Well, it was this morning anyway when we were down at Danny's place.

Always wanted a Brat despite the fact that they are the slowest slugs on the planet.

Just picked it up Saturday evening.... just got back home with it a couple hours ago smile.gif
Gint
Shoulda told us you were coming out.
ninefourteener
^^^^ Sorry.... didn't really know anyone was in the area.... plus, it's not a 914--LOL

Hey.... quick question.... what is that "stuff" you can use to prevent future rust when you're repairing old rust? Where can I get it?
Dave_Darling
A buddy of mine had one, for about six hours. He drove it down from South City to visit and show off his new $250 ride, and on the way back up it died on him. The part of the crankcase that the distributor drive comes out of cracked, and the distributor more or less fell out.

Oops.

--DD
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 18 2008, 09:02 AM) *

A buddy of mine had one, for about six hours. He drove it down from South City to visit and show off his new $250 ride, and on the way back up it died on him. The part of the crankcase that the distributor drive comes out of cracked, and the distributor more or less fell out.

Oops.

--DD

LOL .... ouch!!!

The engine "runs"..... not half bad.... but it has significan't blowby.... not worth fixing.

I'm leaving it in.... primarily for weight when I set the suspension.... and it makes it easier to move in and out of the garage when need be. But total... I've driven it about 100 feet so far smile.gif

So suggestions on that anti-rust stuff? Was it POR? or PDR? or something like that?
DBCooper
You got it, POR 15 at http://www.por15.com/

The best is always to cut out all the old metal and replace it with new, but if you know the thing has no future, or you just want to keep your toy from disappearing until you get around to really fixing it, then this is your stuff.
ninefourteener
^^^^ Thanks!!!

The stuff's not cheap..... but if it works... then it's worth it.

There's definitely quite a bit of rust removal..... but even still, I'd rather coat any exposed metal from a known rust area...... then do the bodywork. Nothing sucks more than spending months on bodywork, only for a little rust to ruin it a year later.

Interior is first (already underway)..... then the body phase begins.... this will be my first purchase. Thanks!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.