Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! Flywheel Bolts Aren't Budging
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
Please HELP!

I'm in the middle of performing a cutch job using the Auto Atlanta kit. Everything is just going great until I try to loosen the flywheel bolts. Even with the correct rachet and a 30-inch helper bar, I can't get the flywheel bolts to budge.

As I removed my old clutch parts, I found the throwout bearing and the ball joint bushing were pretty well trashed - looks like normal useage just wore them out. The pressure plate really didn't show that much wear. The flywheel looks to be in good shape. It is shiney (where the new replacement part shows a fine grind), but there are no apparant areas of distress.

My choice may be to leave the existing flywheel in place. I know I won't be able to replace the seals behind the flywheel, but what else can I do?

Any advice is greatly apreciated.

Eric Read
wavey.gif
So.Cal.914
Get someone to help you turn the cheater bar, I don't think I would use heat.
Drums66
Try a larger breaker or Cheater pipe! smile.gif
you have to gain better leverage.
ericread
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Nov 16 2008, 03:22 PM) *

Try a larger breaker or Cheater pipe! smile.gif
you have to gain better leverage.

I am really out of room under my teener, and I just don't have additional space to use a longer cheater bar.

I am thinking of completing the job replacing all the parts other than the flywheel (and the seals behind it). In a few weeks, I can pick up an impact gun and complete the process at that time. I know this isn't the most efficient way to move forward, but i really don't have any other ideas at this time.

How about the shiney flywheel? Any thought of problems with using the existing flywheel for the time being? There is no sign of oil or other contaminates at this time...

My thanks!!!

Eric Read
So.Cal.914
If the seal isn't gushing oil behind the FW, I use alcohol to clean my FW before a new disc and PP. As long as the face isn't cut so low that the FW bolts hit the disc, I see no reason not to. Is the FW bad? Is that the reason your replacing it?
cobra94563
borrow or rent an impact wrench... electric will work.
(If you were close, I would lend you mine.)
pktzygt
I had to use PB Blaster and an impact wrench on my truck. Just make sure you use alcohol as So.Cal.914 says or brake cleaner to clean the surrounding area. You don't want the PB blaster or gear oil dripping on your new clutch.
Twystd1
Eric,
Call me. I will bring a compressor and impact gun + impact sockets.

I am in Newport. Just down the street from you.

Clayton

714.944.082one
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.