Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One parking brake won't release
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PinetreePorsche
My '73, in pretty good shape, although the pass. side parking brake was weak-- badly out of adjustment. Brake held pretty well with mostly the drivers side. All pads in fair shape. I parked it on the more steeply sloped part of the driveway last week, didn't use it for a week (not unusual-- sometimes it well sit 2-3 weeks), and when I started it and put it in gear, and released the handle, it wouldn't move. If its in first, it tucks down at that wheel-- ie compresses the suspension; if in reverse, it rises up on the suspension. I don't think its a rust-frozen cable-- never any cable hang-up before, and I lubed it as best I could last time I was into that wheel. I did pull up the brake handle extra hard when I parked it, maybe got one more click on it than usual, when I parked it. Haven't jacked it and tried to get the wheel off, partly because it's on the slope, and would need to be cabled or chained to my van parked in front to assure it doesn't slide/roll/slip downhill and fall off the jacks, although I'm willing to do that when I think I know what I'm going in for. I wonder if something inside the wheel could have gone "too far" and jammed? I assume the tuck or rise means something to someone very familiar with the weird rear calipers on the 914. Any ideas?
wbergtho
Be sure that the cable and or emergency brake handle and corresponding short cable, spring and all parts are free and lubricated properly. Disconnect the cable at the caliper and see if you can manually actuate the caliper with the lever. If not, you have a problem with the caliper and or rotor. If the venting isn't set properly, if the rotor is worn way down and if the caliper needs freshening...your problem could exist there. If the condition of the cable is suspect and/or cable isn't adjusted properly at the firewall on both cables...you may run into problems...and as said before if the handle and cooresponding parts are frozen due to rust...make sure they are lubricated. Could be any number of the above problems.
IronHillRestorations
Have someone operate the handbrake while you look at the lever on the caliper. If it operates freely then you probably need to rebuild the caliper. If it doesn't move, then I'd start by removing the cable and make sure it's not binding.
PinetreePorsche
Update from original poster: When I got a little time and 3 good chocks to block the other 3 wheels (or 3 blocks to chock them I can't remember which), I got it up and the wheel off, and found the cable did (as I suspected) work freely, but that a little tapping on the lever it hooked to allowed it to move pretty freely. I gave it a hit of PB Blaster at the lever pivot, put back the wheel, and lowered ti to the ground. I have a good used pair of rear calipers, and will simply switch them out when I get the chance. Maybe then I'll try to gewt inside to see what caused the binding. -- Over and out....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.