Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I was working on the front end and jacking up the driver side right behind the front wheel. Done this many times in the past using the edge of the tub to lift.

After the 2nd lift of the day I noticed a 2 inch crack in the windshield about 1/2 way up the A-pillar on the driver side. WTF? I don't remember seeing the crack when I moved the car initially but there it was plain as day.

A couple of questions:

1) What sources of windshields exist? New? Used? Prices?

2) Could I have cracked the windshield by lifting the car by the tub right behind the front wheel?
xperu
Mine cracked in the same place after jacking up the car. For the time being I had the crack drilled/repaired and it has not creeped any further, I will look for a new windshield when I can afford it, besides it still is in very good condition; no chips etc.
Lavanaut
I very recently purchased a brand new Sigla windshield from Stoddard for about $350, a damn good price in my book. I've read that the only two brands of windshields that fit properly are Sigla and PPG.
sean_v8_914
if you install a new windshield without investigating the chassis issue will it too suffer the same fate?
r_towle
Cross Post to find the guy.
He is the main importer for 914 glass.

I bought a new (tinted) windshield from this guy a few months ago for $175 and am happy with it. He imported a batch of them and sold them thru ebay. FYI -Mike

Richard Tankel

--------------------
ProSource Glass International
PO Box 996
Andover, MA 01810
Tel:877-345-2800
978-975-5400
Fax:978-975-5300
email:richardt@prosourceglassintl.com
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 17 2008, 10:33 AM) *

I very recently purchased a brand new Sigla windshield from Stoddard for about $350, a damn good price in my book. I've read that the only two brands of windshields that fit properly are Sigla and PPG.

That's a great price... Was it shipped? If no, how much/how much hassle to ship?

Thanks!

pete
Spoke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 17 2008, 11:23 PM) *

Cross Post to find the guy.
He is the main importer for 914 glass.

I bought a new (tinted) windshield from this guy a few months ago for $175 and am happy with it. He imported a batch of them and sold them thru ebay. FYI -Mike

Richard Tankel

--------------------
ProSource Glass International
PO Box 996
Andover, MA 01810
Tel:877-345-2800
978-975-5400
Fax:978-975-5300
email:richardt@prosourceglassintl.com

I just sent Richard an email. Thanks for the tip.
r_towle
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 18 2008, 12:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 17 2008, 10:33 AM) *

That's a great price... Was it shipped? If no, how much/how much hassle to ship?

Thanks!

pete

pick up the phone...it still works.
Call him, he is cool

Rich
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2008, 06:51 AM) *

Rich

C'mon now. That's not terribly helpful, or friendly. dry.gif

Questions were simple: did the price include shipping? did YOU find shipping to be easy/safe/cost effective?

But, I guess I'd better call and find out for myself. slap.gif

Thanks,

pete
7TPorsh
I bot one from him. No shipping for me, he has distribution outlets all over the US. I picked it up about 10 miles away from a storage warehouse for $175.
r_towle
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 18 2008, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2008, 06:51 AM) *

Rich

C'mon now. That's not terribly helpful, or friendly. dry.gif

Questions were simple: did the price include shipping? did YOU find shipping to be easy/safe/cost effective?

But, I guess I'd better call and find out for myself. slap.gif

Thanks,

pete

I was quoting from another post.
That was included in the intro.
Not trying to be a wiseass, but if you read it you will see.

Dr Evil was the last guy I know who bought from him...he bought two and was happy.

Rich
Spoke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2008, 09:51 AM) *

Call him, he is cool

Rich

Point taken. I'll give him a call.
Spoke
Just called Richard and ordered a windshield. No distribution points near me. $195 + $25 (carton packing) + $110 freight + $40 residential delivery.

Done.

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2008, 08:23 AM) *

I was quoting from another post.
That was included in the intro.
Not trying to be a wiseass, but if you read it you will see.

Rich

Rich,

Oops, sorry about that! KMA.gif

pete
rfuerst911sc
I too will be in need of a windshield for my car as mine has a quarter sized smash and I'm getting ready for a repaint. I found a net service www.glass.net that gives you three quotes within 10 seconds. So for me in Orlando for my 75 I received 3 prices for installed windshields: 245.12 , 260.12 , 339.67. I don't know what brand of glass or if these are legit I'm going to call the 3 places tomorrow.
Dr Evil
Ya, the price is nice comparatively, and Richard is a good guy to deal with. My friend just bought 6 from him. I wish I lived closer to him so I could save $$$.
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 18 2008, 07:34 PM) *

Ya, the price is nice comparatively, and Richard is a good guy to deal with. My friend just bought 6 from him. I wish I lived closer to him so I could save $$$.

If you need more, think about Hershey.
I could be convinced to bring a load of glass down...I think he is 25 minutes from me.

Rich
rfuerst911sc
[quote name='rfuerst911sc' date='Nov 18 2008, 04:30 PM' post='1103207']
I too will be in need of a windshield for my car as mine has a quarter sized smash and I'm getting ready for a repaint. I found a net service www.glass.net that gives you three quotes within 10 seconds. So for me in Orlando for my 75 I received 3 prices for installed windshields: 245.12 , 260.12 , 339.67. I don't know what brand of glass or if these are legit I'm going to call the 3 places tomorrow.
[/quote

UPDATE:
Today I called the 3 companies that were provided by my search on www.glass.net, to say the least this was interesting. The first company who's quote online was $245.12 when I called them it was $615.00 I quickly hung up on them dry.gif The second company didn't offer a price as they said the windshield is no longer available sad.gif The third company gave a price over the phone that was exactly the same as online ( $339.67 ) but they also said the windshield was no longer available sad.gif . So my search for a windshield in Orlando continues.
southernmost914
UPDATE:
Today I called the 3 companies that were provided by my search on www.glass.net, to say the least this was interesting. The first company who's quote online was $245.12 when I called them it was $615.00 I quickly hung up on them dry.gif The second company didn't offer a price as they said the windshield is no longer available sad.gif The third company gave a price over the phone that was exactly the same as online ( $339.67 ) but they also said the windshield was no longer available sad.gif . So my search for a windshield in Orlando continues.
[/quote]

In florida try U.S.A. Auto Glass Inc. MIAMI OFFICE #(305) 247-9100 call for central florida office#. $385+tax installed. Asian glass, fit great but I made them dry fit it 1st before I Ok it.

Steve
rfuerst911sc
Today I stopped at a local Glass America shop. Had a nice talk with one of the guys there and gave me a price of $262.00 for the windshield and $50.00 for the removal and replacement. I thought that was a good price. He said they can use the OEM trim that's on the car or use any one of about 8-10 different rubber moldings. I ordered the glass and it will be in on Monday. I won't have it installed until after the cars painted but I'll at least have the glass.
burton73
Pro glass parts for the 914 are made in China. The piece looks great but has Chinese words on the right bottom. It cannot be removed with a new razor blade or Acetone. It can be covered with a decal but I am not going to put it into my factory 6. Think of this when you get glass. If it does not matter to you then go for it.
Any one that needs one in the Los Angeles area can pick one up from me in West LA. For $150.00

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.