Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My New Toy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
carr914
My newest Teener. It Raced in IMSA @ the 1977 12 Hours of Sebring (46th OA/16th GTU out of 78 cars) as a 4, then was converted to a Six and ran as an IMSA 914-6 @ the 1977 250 Mile Daytona Finale (27th OA/10th GTU out of 65 cars), the 1978 12 of Sebring (31st OA/15th GTU out of 78 cars), 1978 250 Mile Daytona Finale (44th OA/10th GTU out of 64 cars), entered in 1979 24 Hours of Daytona - did not start?, 1980 12 Hours of Sebring ( 28th OA/9th GTU out of 99 cars) and the 1980 250 Mile Daytona Finale (26th OA/9th GTU out of 67 cars) smilie_pokal.gif . This was in the era of the Porsche 935, BMW M1, etc. The drivers on all occasions in IMSA were Vince DiLella & Manual Cueto.

It's alot of work, but a barn find and you can't reinvent history

I will be enlisting the help of URY to bring the car home on Saturday.

The only downside sad.gif , is I may have to sell my 914-6 conversion (the Dan Root Steel-Roof car) for the seed money to do the resto.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scotty b
COOOOOOOL That thing needs a big block Chevy..............................
So.Cal.914
history

I think it would be worth it. IMHO
messix
WOOOOOOOWWWWW! smile.gif
URY914
Saturday?

What time?
carr914
Paul, in the AM preferably, but it's your trailer! biggrin.gif

T.C.
southernmost914
I like! A part of history.Well worth it. biggrin.gif
Steve
sixnotfour
TC, history cars are the best, good luck.
FourBlades

That is fantastic... smilie_pokal.gif

Can you post more pictures when you have a chance?

I'd like to see the dash and interior set up.

John
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 17 2008, 05:39 PM) *

history

Him (Car designer for GM): So, i hear you got a Porsh ...
Me: Yeah.
Him: What kind?
Me: A 914.
Him: A what?
Me: 914.
Him: Blank stare.
Me: The little boxy ones. From the early 70's.
Me: Mid engine. Successful race cars of the day.
Me: Never mind ...

dry.gif Andy

PS: So yes, please restore this piece of 914 history! Even if nobody else knows what the heck a "914" is ...
URY914
I hope it can handle the trip home...

9:00am, I'll pick you up.
bcheney
TC,

A very cool ride. You can't find better races in North America to enter a PORSCHE in. This will be a fun project with much preparation, testing and qualifying ahead...Remember, driver comfort is one of the keys to successful endurance racing. We're here for ya...Enjoy the ride and may the force of the checkers be with you!!

Brian
BDog

Great job................
rick 918-S
Wow! drooley.gif I wub.gif stuff like that! aktion035.gif Don't over restore it!
URY914
Sebring '77.....

carr914
Paul that's it, when it ran as a 4, It matchs the other picture the seller has.

T.C.
URY914
I have a friend that was at the '78 Daytona Finale. I emailed him to see if he has any pics from that one.

Paul
smg914
Cool Car T.C. I went back and looked at the pictures Claus Mueller sent me from back in the 70's and this was one of them.
BMXerror
I'm jealous! dry.gif Great find, though! pray.gif
Mark D.
smg914
Same day, same place, different car. I believe this photo is of Claus driving 9141430178
number6
You have all the cool toys, TC! Can't wait to see what you do with this.

How far along are you on #673?

-duc
carr914
Hi Duc, #673 is finally starting to come along again. The restoration shop took on some other projects that had some deadlines (a Navy Man coming back from Iraq and a big car show) while we were waiting for a couple of parts. Those projects are done and the shop is on my car. They called me last Thursday to ask me questions as they were working and when I called them in my glee to tell them about the IMSA car, they were working on my car. I haven't been over to their shop in awhile as it is about 100 miles away. I think Brian Cheney is going to stop by there to check on things for me.

I'm excited about this new (to me) IMSA car. I think I'm more into the HUNT than anything else. The sad thing is deciding how I manage to all these projects and still find a way to keep Dan's old car. I pm'd Dan to see if he wanted the car back, but he can't swing it right now.

Did you get your car back and running yet? I still can't believe someone hasn't bought your roller yet - I think that is such a cool car. Please don't part it out, someone will step-up and get a great deal.

T.C.
watsonrx13
Way cool TC..... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
Brett W
Very Nice. More pics.
KELTY360
Nice find! I know what you mean about 'the hunt'. I love that it ran as a -4.

smilie_pokal.gif
Todd Enlund
Cleaned up a bit and color corrected:
Click to view attachment
carr914
Thanks Todd, any chance I could get you to do the same on the picture smg914 posted (same picture, but close-up)?

T.C.
Todd Enlund
Click to view attachment
carr914
Todd, you are the man. I won't give you any shit for liking Fernando Alonso

for 6 months biggrin.gif

Thanks, T.C.
southernmost914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Nov 18 2008, 05:03 PM) *

Film crew on the Winnie and a chopper. Awsome photo. aktion035.gif
Steve
URY914
Film crew? Look again CSI Steve. I say it's a guy reaching in a cooler for a beer.
Lavanaut
SWEET! Nice find TC, I can't wait to see it come back to life. Congrats!
number6
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 18 2008, 04:42 AM) *

Hi Duc, #673 is finally starting to come along again. The restoration shop took on some other projects that had some deadlines (a Navy Man coming back from Iraq and a big car show) while we were waiting for a couple of parts. Those projects are done and the shop is on my car. They called me last Thursday to ask me questions as they were working and when I called them in my glee to tell them about the IMSA car, they were working on my car. I haven't been over to their shop in awhile as it is about 100 miles away. I think Brian Cheney is going to stop by there to check on things for me.

I'm excited about this new (to me) IMSA car. I think I'm more into the HUNT than anything else. The sad thing is deciding how I manage to all these projects and still find a way to keep Dan's old car. I pm'd Dan to see if he wanted the car back, but he can't swing it right now.

Did you get your car back and running yet? I still can't believe someone hasn't bought your roller yet - I think that is such a cool car. Please don't part it out, someone will step-up and get a great deal.

T.C.

Hi TC. I'm glad your shop is back on #673. Just from the little bit you've told me about it, I can't wait to see it all come together. And this new car... very nice find, indeed! The stuff you find...I don't know how you do it!

I really hope you can keep all your 914s. The blue car's your one 914 driver at he moment, no? It seems like a good car for getting in and driving w/o abandon and without over-worrying from the fact that you've sunk years and a fortune into restoring. I dunno...are you the type to drive your restored car all out? Even so, a small part of you would hold back, I would imagine. Is holding off on the new project an option, or are you too enthused to wait? I'm with everyone here, anxious to see you bring the new car back to life...but I'd hate to see you, or anyone here, go for an extended period w/o a 914 driver.

My car's still with my mechanic. I wanted everything dialed in and fully sorted out, so I can enjoy her fully, without worrying about this and that. Got all the brakes rebuilt and new rear rotors. All the oil lines were re-plumbed. Suspension tweaked and full alignment done. Transmission needed to be shimmed (??) to fix 1st gear grinding. All leaks taken care of. Webers tuned. eBrake sorted. Just a bunch of little stuff from the conversion. The only hold up now is with the charging system. Something's off, as the voltage regulator is not doing its job; car is overcharging. The shop is trying everything to figure this out w/o dropping the motor and pulling the alternator. I'm sure Alan will figure it out - he really knows these cars. It's just a pain in my case w/ the conversion, later motor, and back-dated alternator (we think - there's no documentation of what's in there). I'm sure things would progress faster if I were more on top of it, but the fact of the matter is I'm up to my neck with work, so it's not like I'd have time to enjoy the car even if it were done. Oh, what a sad thing to say! sad.gif

Or maybe I've just gone soft and am enjoying driving a modern car, with good heat, defrost, heated seats, leather, traction control, good wipers, no stinky fumes... I kid, of course! There's no substituting smile.gif

Oh, and blue car is tentatively sold. We'll know for sure later this week. Yeah, I'm surprised, too, that no one jumped on it. Signs of the time, I guess. But it's all good. Things always work out, right? smile.gif

Good luck with your projects!

-duc
carr914
Duc, I'm glad that you have found a buyer for the Blue Car. Myself and others kept going back to your FS thread and lusting after it. I can't believe it took this long.

And yes my Steel Roof 914-6 is my only drivable car besides my Honda Civic. It's a very tough decision I will have to make in the next couple of weeks. If I suddenly find a job (things are so friggen tight now) I will keep everything. It's not a matter of just setting the IMSA car off to the side. I have the room to keep 3 teeners under roof. I went out on a limb to buy the IMSA car. I just could'nt let it go. How often to you have a barn-find Real racecar?

T.C.
Brett W
Sell me the barn find and I will alleviate all your financial ills. I'll even come get it.
carr914
Sent to me by Glenn Stazak. I even got an eMail from Tony Adamowitz (driver of 917s & Ferrari's in the day) congratulating me on the find

T.C.

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(number6 @ Nov 18 2008, 11:37 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 18 2008, 04:42 AM) *

T.C.

And this new car... very nice find, indeed! The stuff you find...I don't know how you do it!

-duc

I've been into 914's so long, they kind of come to me. I check them all out. I've found another Factory 914-6 at a reasonable price. I could buy it and flip it, but. Obviously I can't do it, but I turned a friend onto it.

T.C.
PeeGreen 914
Wow blink.gif That's just amazing T.C. You really find some very cool 914's you lucky bastard aktion035.gif I can't wait to see how you restore it. This will be one of my favs. piratenanner.gif
Root_Werks
Cool find! driving.gif
carr914
Engine compartment. Not real pretty, but solid

Click to view attachment

Nifty little lights mounted in the engine compartment for when they came into the pits at night. Triggered by the little toggle switch by the sail panel

T.C.

Click to view attachment
Lavanaut
So what are your plans for this car TC? Assuming you keep it...
carr914
Well I'll have it home in my garage tomorrow and I'll start working.

Fortunately restoring a racecar means you don't have to put back all sorts of NOS concours pieces. I have a ton of parts at my house - wiring harness, engine, tranny, wheels, targa top, etc. The floor pans need to be replaced. And since it didn't have a great paint job before it went racing to begin with and I don't want to over-restore it, I don't need to spend a fortune there. I will probably have to buy a new set of F/G Flares. The new Braided Oil & Gas Lines and Fittings always cost a bunch.

Plus I need to figure out where the money to do this is going to come from. But every dime I put into it I will get out. Maybe by the time it's finished, we will be living in a thriving economy again. confused24.gif

More pictures tomorrow after URY & I get back.

T.C.
PeeGreen 914
Well T.C., you can always sell kidneys and such drunk.gif

It is nice that it is a racecar. You just need to get the car sound and looking like a racecar again. piratenanner.gif
Rav914
Very nice find. I'd leave the body alone. It looks cool all dinged up and chipped; "vintage" as many would say. But make it mechanically solid.
Gint
Great find. Congratulations.
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif Can't wait for my photos. boldblue.gif I dig stuff like that. aktion035.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I admire guys that take on a piece of Histroy like that is. Take your time and do

right ! Good luck . Keep us posted with lots of pictures. Dave slap.gif
Zimms
Vintage Sebring '09 before the 12 hours. I'll get photos of your smile in turn #1. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I just need you to call the cell that morning. The vintage stuff is always an eye opener for more than one reason!
beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif
barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Nov 21 2008, 05:21 PM) *

Well T.C., you can always sell kidneys and such drunk.gif

It is nice that it is a racecar. You just need to get the car sound and looking like a racecar again. piratenanner.gif

How much can I get for a kidney and will I still be able to drink beer? beer.gif

T.C.
Gustl
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 22 2008, 12:53 AM) *

Great find. Congratulations.

agree.gif - a really cool toy clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.