Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it common for NEW factory trim pieces in the bag to be scr
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Specifically: taillight lens and door mirror. huh.gif

Scratches are (pretty/really) minor, but these *are* supposed to be new parts, and Porsche sure don't price 'em like they're scratched. Looks like the damage happened between manufacture and packaging, not in shipping.

Or, is this "how they all are"? biggrin.gif

pete
Lavanaut
Did you get them through the dealership? If so I'd take 'em back. But if they're NOS then you never know what you're going to get...all depends on how much they've been moved around over the years. I can say with certainty though that that is not "how they all are". wink.gif
horizontally-opposed
Through a dealer, just in from Germany. Bags all look recent, and so do the parts. Tags and stickers on the bags are DEFINITELY modern. Some of the parts look, uh, *not* NOS. Targa-bar top pieces (the thin, short strips) have double-sided tape on their underside -- with the current Scotch-brand backing!

New rear latches are very impressive, and look truly new. Super smooth actuation, too. And to think I was going to try to rebuild/refinish mine...

Seriously, there's a lot to like here. Offending parts are barely so. Also don't love the idea of returning stuff and creating hassles -- especially if it means more of the same. But, after dropping $2k on trim, you kind of, uh, want to start aNEW. wub.gif

pete

P.S. Are there any pics of your Bahia 914-6 floating around? Would you be willing to share? My car is apart in bare metal right now and was Bahia... Thanks! beerchug.gif
southernmost914
"after dropping $2k on trim, you kind of, uh, want to start aNEW."

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif biggrin.gif She's only new once biggrin.gif
Steve
Krieger
How about a baby step- talk to your person at the dealer and see their reaction and what they are willing/can do. Go in there, state the problem, show them the parts and ask "what can we do" then close your mouth .....wait, then see what they have to say. Pete you are not happy that why you posted.
horizontally-opposed
Hey Andy,

The dealership is, uh, about a ten hour's drive. And not sure it's their fault. So, before I obsess over the scratches, I'm curious to see how "new" really is through the experiences of others.

Frankly, I'm not unhappy. Mildly surprised, maybe, but I can live with it -- especially if all of them are like this.

pete
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Nov 18 2008, 07:49 AM) *

How about a baby step- talk to your person at the dealer and see their reaction and what they are willing/can do.

agree.gif Can't hurt. You're paying a lot of money for new parts, they should be in new condition when you get them. That's my opinion anyway. It sounds like you may be willing to live with the parts as-is, but you can be sure that many people (especially those around CW circuit) definitely wouldn't!

Anyway, keep us posted. smile.gif I'll send you some pics of the /6.

Reid
914Sixer
I had that happen on some parts I bought and the dealership had no problem about replacing the part that was defective.
tod914
I had one dealer in the past who would cherry pick parts from several sets and send the rest back. The other dealer I tried, wanted everything pre-paid, and would not return anything cause it was special order. Good luck, I think most will try to accomodate you.
Chris Pincetich
I ordered 2 new 914 passenger side mirrors from Walnut Creek Porsche and when one of them had a blemish they took it back and exchanged for another. There were only 12 in stock in the USA and they took care of it without blinking. It was a great experience, as my mirror cost about the same as their 911 poloshirt and I expected to get the shaft.
I mounted the best looking mirror and the other NOS mirror sits on my shelf wondering when I will get over the cafe racer bare bones AX thing and put a mirror on each side beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.