Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping an engine in the U.S.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bahnzai
I have a longblock to ship in the states and wonder who some of you guys have used successfully (and economically)?
Worst case it would go from the east coast to the west coast. I think I remember that it makes a difference if it is residential pickup/delivery vs. business. I am guessing this is around 250-300 pounds.

Thanks for any help and advice!

r_towle
350 lbs on a pallet, wrapped in plastic, no oil in motor.

I use Yellow frieght. This is a dock to dock company.
You bring it to them, the other person goes and gets it from them.

Last one was around $300

Rich
GaroldShaffer
FedEx Freight for my 3.0/6 from NC to Indiana was right around $280. This was terminal to terminal. No problems at all.
computers4kids
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2008, 05:40 AM) *

350 lbs on a pallet, wrapped in plastic, no oil in motor.

I use Yellow frieght. This is a dock to dock company.
You bring it to them, the other person goes and gets it from them.

Last one was around $300

Rich

agree.gif $300 dock to dock and can't remember the code, but I think it was 50 "scrap metal."
bahnzai
Thanks so much for responding. I was a bit in the dark as how to approach it.

This is a GREAT board and resource!!!!
scotty b
never mind I misread your post dry.gif Me dipshlit, reed nun two goooods
IronHillRestorations
You'll probably get the best rate from www.freightquote.com I use them for all my business now, but I'm not shipping engines. I've shipped about six engines and a couple complete engine/trans through Roadway, UPS Freight, ConWay, and others. I guess I've been lucky, as I haven't had a damage problem. I would only ship a engine in an enclosed crate. The condition of the goods on arrival is typically relational to the quality of the crating job. Make sure you ask about insurance.
jaybird840
+1 for freightquote.com. Got my engine shipped from Fl to Tx under $300. Pleasant to deal with.
Jake Raby
I only ship with fed ex freight... Other companies have fought us when we had damage claoms and I can't risk that.

Look at the fine print, see what "class" they have the engine rated at and that'll dictate what their maximum liability is if it becomes damaged in transit.

Some classes are as little as 35 cents per pound of commodity weight... I know of a 12000 buck engine that was damaged in shipping and the freight company paid less than 150 bucks- he took them to court and lost!

Cheap= Risk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.