Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AA 916 Rear FG Bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I am trying to build a 916 clone. FG Flares and the front 916 bumper were installed on the car when i bought it and a stock bumper is still on the back. I want to purchase the 916 rear bumper, but am a little worried about the fitment. It says that minor modifications are needed for a flared car for them to fit correctly. What type of modifications do i need? I am fairly good at bodywork, but will i have to cut the bumper and make it wider or something. I don't really wanna cut a 300 dollar bumper and possibly Fuch it up!!

Thanks, everybody!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
all fiberglass is lousy and needs careful fitment to look good. Coming out of the mold it is every molders different opinion of how the piece needs to be trimmed. Even the factory 916 has ill fitting fiberglass (one rocker sticks out further than the other!) We have tried it all and at least with the rear bumper it has the pillowed ends exactly like the original. We have tried them all (gt racing, mitcom, getty design, AIR etc, and none of them are better than the others, some worse. Our body shop complains every day about the stuff and is constantly chopping and sectioning to make a perfect fit.
Bottom line there is no bolt on solution
scotty b
Aftermarket panels NEVER fit right PERIOD. It has nothing at all to do with AA or ny other source. It has NOTHING to do with fibreglass or steel. It is what it is. I have used parts for many different vehicles, made from many different materials and NONE fit like factory parts. Buy repro and expect to work on it. Unfortunately in a case like this you have no choice but to buy repro. Buy the best repro you can.
turnaround89
I already know that aftermarket stuff doesn't fit at all. Just wanted to know what in general needs to be done to these to get them to fit. Ill prolly be ordering one this thursday, won't really be able to put the thing on until spring is the problem.
GeorgeRud
Just be patient and keep working on it till it fits OK. All fiberglass parts are to be considered as works in progress, never a finished, ready to install part.
tracks914
I just did my 916 front and rears. I did them off the car then tried to fit them on. I ended up bolting them on and off a dozen times to get it right. (I'm still not happy with the fit) Save yourself a lot of time, put them on, modify them to fit, sand bondo what ever, then take them off and paint them. I scratched my good paint a few places that had to be touched up after they were finally installed.
turnaround89
Since my front bumper is blended in to the rest of the car with bondo, i plan on doing that with the rear bumper. This won't affect fitment, ill just get it fit as perfectly i can and then bondo the thing onto the car.

Do the bumpers come with a mounting bracket on them that bolt to the stock location or do you have to modify them for that?

I know the AA bumper says it is for a stock fendered car, i take it i shouldn't use that one with my flares, might look weird. Should i go with the one from AIR?, they have two styles flared and non flared!!
Johny Blackstain
Check out this old thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=66573&hl=

AIR had the best prices & no longer makes a flared front bumper, so you'll have to modify one for a non-flared car. They do still make the back 916 bumper flared, but you'll have to modify that too blink.gif. Also might have to cut & re-weld the bumper brackets to make a better fit. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Scott S
just an FYI - there are two different 916 bumpers on the market. There is the one I have that is completely wrong and looks cheap, and there is the good one. The difference is the license plate recess. The good one has a lip all the way around the recess. The cheap one is just a "dent". Pics below - the black and white pics are the correct one...
turnaround89
This kind of sucks but i will have to go with the cheaply made one, due to the fact that my license plate will have to fit there and the lip may make it not fit. Can't drive the car on the road unless the plates are in the correct position. Ive already gotten pulled over for it, no ticket, just a warning. Thanks for the thread link, i think i might just buy the one from AA and go from there. Thanks everyone!!!
Scott S
The factory license plate bracket lifts the plate so it is taller than the bottom lip -there no fitment problems using a US plate at all.
gopack
TURNAROUND,
I will send you a PM. I have an old one I took off my car, all you have to do is drive up and get it (Madison area). I bought new so the body shop would have less labor in fitting and fixing, and I swear the old POS one was better than the new one! So it still took alot of hours to fit and blend. I also have pics of the fit of the new one on my photobucket account. search for gopack or gopack42 (I forget). you can also check out my lack of progress thread.
gopack
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 19 2008, 08:22 AM) *

Check out this old thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=66573&hl=

AIR had the best prices & no longer makes a flared front bumper, so you'll have to modify one for a non-flared car. They do still make the back 916 bumper flared, but you'll have to modify that too blink.gif. Also might have to cut & re-weld the bumper brackets to make a better fit. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

I got the AIR flared rear, and you can see if you check out my photobucket account how BAD the fit was!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.