Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did they ever make Stainless HE's with
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DuckRyder
I have these heat exchangers. I swear they look like they are stainless except the flanges, which are toast.

Two welder dudes have said they think the pipe is stainless. I ask because they need the flanges replaced and if they are stainless then probably stainless flanges and some special welding.

I was thinking if they were stainless perhaps SSI or GHL would be willing to repair them for me (at my expense of course) as they seem perfectly serviceable other wise. (Disregarding the dirt.) They are OLD for sure.

IPB Image

IPB Image

TIA
Doug Leggins
I had a set like that at one time. Everything was stainless except for the flanges. Brad mentioned that a quantity (about 1000 I think) was produced by SSI that had non SS flanges.

Oven cleaner or fast orange hand cleaner work very well to clean up the SS heat exchangers.
DuckRyder
Any Chance SSI could/would repair them, and anyone got contact information?

Everyone I talked to around here was reluctant to try to work with Stainless. If SSI cannot or will not replace the flanges, does any one here have or know of someone who has the capability.

Racer Chris Maybe?
Thorshammer
I have the same problem with a really nice set of 1.8 heat exchangers, Hey Brad, can I buy some SS flanges from you????

Erik Madsen
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Thorshammer @ Feb 14 2004, 08:24 AM)
I have the same problem with a really nice set of 1.8 heat exchangers, Hey Brad, can I buy some SS flanges from you????

Erik Madsen

Erik,
I think I'll be fixing up DuckRyder's H/E's in the next couple of weeks. LMK if you want me to make you a couple of flanges at the same time.
Mark Henry
I have the same set.
I asked Brad about them, when the club went on line and he said they're old as shit. Maybe some of the first runs. Later units didn't have the extra tube on the exchanger. Get them hot tanked.

I made the new flanges myself on my drill press, bits and a holesaw, very slow cutting. The SS pieces cost $10. Then the hard part was jigging it up and of course you need a TIG welder, etc.
It's a pro job for sure if you don't have the fab equipment.
welder.gif
Brad Roberts
I'll check tomorrow when I'm in SSI to see if there are some extra flanges laying around. I know we had a few laying around.

Yes.. the VERY first production run had steel flanges (1975) SSI couldnt locate a place fast enough to make them back then.

Jigging them up and welding on the new flanges is not real difficult. Hopefully there are still some floating around. SSI stopped making the 914 stainless HE's back in 1998. There are approx. 80 sets left (TOTAL). About 2 pairs a month go out the door.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. FYI: over 40k pairs have been sold since 1975.

B
Britain Smith
If you have a chance, grab me a few of those flanges so I can send them to LA for the guy fabbing my exhaust.

-Britain
Brad Roberts
Why do you need stock 914 muffler flanges ?? Your pipes end in a big fat honking TURBO collector.

B
Britain Smith
I thought you were talking about the flanges that mate up the the stub tubes...I need 4 of those.

-Britain
Brad Roberts
Next time any of you 914 owners with SSI stainless HE's see a 911 guy with SSI's.. be sure to let him know YOUR SSI's funded the development of HIS SSI's and that he should be happy that the 914 exists... LOL

B
Brad Roberts
Britain ??

The guy posted pics above.. did you not look at them before you posted ?

Big brother Brad
Brad Roberts
What amazes me is the number of people asking to have these ealr style repaired.. after 29 YEARS.. LOL

B
DuckRyder
Yeah, a little Castrol super clean and a brush took 15 years off their appearance.

Like a I said they appear perfectly servicable other wise, so if Racer Chris can fix them, I'll be a few hundred bucks ahead of the game. biggrin.gif

One would hope that when/if they run out they would crank up another run of them. 40,000 sets is amazing, wonder how many total 914s are left?

I have another 914, it is basically a complete but VERY rusty orange 1973 2.0, I was considering saving it when I get a real shop built..... Guess It will just have to get a header if they run out..............
ChrisFoley
The repair has begun.
agentblr
I think Im too late ,but Ihave a real nice pair I'll let go for cheap
DuckRyder
Very cool Chris, its amazing the condition of the flanges compared to the stainless parts.

Thanks again for messing with Them
ChrisFoley
I mounted the H/E's on my exhaust assembly fixture. Today I will attach a muffler to make sure the flanges are straight before I weld them solid.
davep
Hey Brad,

Did they ever produce 914/6 exchangers at SSI? If so, is there any stock? I need just one side for a 914/4 2.0, what is the current price?

I think I got my first set of SSI back in 1976. Wouldn't have anything else on a keeper.

DaveP smilie_pokal.gif
ChrisFoley
I welded the flanges today.
The HE's fit snugly on the heads and had very little play. I don't have a 2 liter muffler to fit to them, but a 1.7 muffler would not fit. It seems that the passenger side unit isn't spread far enough out.
I measured the space from the stud on the back of the tranny to the flange hole where the muffler bracket goes. I got about 9 1/2" on the driver side and 9" on the pass. side. Also the space between the two center flange holes was only about 24" and I expected around 25".
Dave_Darling
The flanges on 1.7 mufflers are a different distance apart than those on the 2.0 mufflers. I forget which is spaced wider, but they are different.

Davep--
SSI has not, that I have heard, ever made 914-6 exchangers. Nore are they likely to, now... GHL does, but PK and RJ and a few other Six conversion guys are quite unhappy with the quality and service. sad.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.