Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 is back on the road!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
So a few months ago, I bought a new engine for my car and thought it would be a weekend job to install it until I found rust in my hell hole. I thought I checked it pretty closely when I bought it, but it turns out I was poking thick dirt/mud/!@$. Luckily, the rust wasnt too bad but I still wanted it fixed correctly so I wouldnt have to worry about it.

While I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the rust, I got a bad case of "while I'm in there"-itis and put in stainless steel brake line (thanks Racer Chris), new Koni yellows (thanks Doug), new calipers (thanks Eric), new stereo and a few other odd's and end's.

After doing all this, I was going to try and fix the rust myself (even bought a new welder) but decided against it since I haven't welded for a long time and I didnt want to practice on my car...so I'm leaving it up to the pro's until I get it down.

Rob (conedodger) said I could use his trailer if I promised to help him wire his lift pump when I got back (deal!). Saturday I loaded up and headed to Napa to let McMark work his magic on the rust. On the agenda is to fix hell hole, new engine shelf, new battery tray and support.

Looking forward to getting the 914 back on the road!

Oh, and one side note is Rob and I were able to get his lift working so now working on the 914 just got easier...double win smilie_pokal.gif
biosurfer1
well I tried to add some pics I took of the 914 on the trailer but for some reason, I can't add them...so I will when the site starts working again mad.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 18 2008, 08:17 PM) *

So a few months ago, I bought a new engine for my car and thought it would be a weekend job to install it until I found rust in my hell hole. I thought I checked it pretty closely when I bought it, but it turns out I was poking thick dirt/mud/!@$. Luckily, the rust wasnt too bad but I still wanted it fixed correctly so I wouldnt have to worry about it.

While I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the rust, I got a bad case of "while I'm in there"-itis and put in stainless steel brake line (thanks Racer Chris), new Koni yellows (thanks Doug), new calipers (thanks Eric), new stereo and a few other odd's and end's.

After doing all this, I was going to try and fix the rust myself (even bought a new welder) but decided against it since I haven't welded for a long time and I didnt want to practice on my car...so I'm leaving it up to the pro's until I get it down.

Rob (conedodger) said I could use his trailer if I promised to help him wire his lift pump when I got back (deal!). Saturday I loaded up and headed to Napa to let McMark work his magic on the rust. On the agenda is to fix hell hole, new engine shelf, new battery tray and support.

Looking forward to getting the 914 back on the road!

Oh, and one side note is Rob and I were able to get his lift working so now working on the 914 just got easier...double win smilie_pokal.gif

Good choice. I will be trailering the 914 up to McMark Jan. 1. The last car I took him came out great.
biosurfer1
ah...finally got it to work...here are the pics, and thus, the "joke" I was going for:)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
laugh.gif Our little 914's are probably more reliable being towed anyway. laugh.gif
biosurfer1
I agree... I like to tell people I got up to 65mph with my 914 in reverse this past weekend:)
Justinp71
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Soon it will move by its own power!!!!
JRust
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Nov 19 2008, 08:51 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Soon it will move by its own power!!!!

I can't wait to hear that big 4. You got the engine from Mark who never installed it. Who got the motor from me who never installed it. I bought the motor from Craig who never installed it. I am dying to know how it feels when in your car. I still regret selling it without ever getting to try it out. I am sure it will scream. Keep the updates coming smile.gif
biosurfer1
will do Jamie...I got everything ready to install it right after Thanksgiving. I'm anxious to feel what >50hp feels like! (and I'm being generous to my old 1.7)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.