Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Selling a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blonde914
In June of last year we bought a 1975 914 off e-bay and had it shipped here. Asked alot of questions ect. got ripped off good. Learned a valuable lesson. In July we bought another off e-bay out of Canada, paid the guy and drove it home. It is a great car. The exta is in the garage and needs to go. What is the best way to get as much of my $2500 (cost + shipping) back. Don't really have the time or know how to part it out. Have the classified ads done well? Should I try e-bay? What has worked for you? Thanks for your help. confused24.gif
Rouser
List ad: "1975 Porsche 914; runs. $1,500.00 OBO."

Don't drag out the pain, or continue scratching the wound; leave it at that.

Lesson learned ...
Joe Bob
Depends on what is bad about it....rust or mechanical. If it's rusty....it just another midwestern rusty 914. If it's relatively rust free....it's a gold mine or someone that already has a drive train....
rick 918-S
Tell us about the car. Pro, Cons, Where did it come from, What have you done to it since you've owned it. With a little info we could help price it. Then you could list it like Rouser said... laugh.gif (Ooops that wasn't funny unsure.gif )
Porsche Rescue
I made a bad Ebay buy last summer. My fault. Should have asked more questions (dealer,don't know if I would have gotten honest answers). Re-sold on Ebay and lost less $ than I expected. I listed the problems (rust) with the car (Porsche but not 914) in the auction listing. Tried to be as honest about the car as I could when people emailed questions. Got $1500 over my reserve. Auction winner drove with a trailer from N. California to Portland and picked up the car. He found no surprises and completed the transaction.
redshift
You bought a car from Otto's too?

ohmy.gif

lmao

M
blonde914
Does not run, might be locked up, some rust, battery tray of course around the antennae, edges of the door and roof, haven't looked at the floor boards or under the car, I will try to do that right now and post some pictures. Interior is in sad shape the dash has one crack right down the middle. The odometer was not working miles is questionable; whats new. It is black now, but we were told the original color was berber yellow, they said only 500 cars with that color was made and only that year, is that true? The guy I bought it from had bought it on e-bay in November of 02 from someone else, said he changed his mind about giving it to his 16 year old son or something at least that was the line of s__t he sold us.
Chris H.
OMG the Berber Yellow e-bay car!!!! I remember that one. In the ad it descibed the rareness of it right? Anyway don't feel bad. We've all been skarewed at some point. It's part of the learning process.

This classifieds is a great place to sell cars and parts. Try it here first. Rouser is right, $1500 is a good start.
GaroldShaffer
I'll give ya $25 for it laugh.gif wink.gif and thats $5 more than I
paid for two last year.

The story:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...&f=2&t=6215&hl=

- Garold The parts car junkie (look'n for a fix) sawzall-smiley.gif
Joe Bob
Here are the pics.....
Joe Bob
uno mas....
blonde914
THANKS Mike,
I'm so blond I couldn't get pictures to load in the site, so that sweet thing Mike did it for me. What a guy! That is a picture of the car we need to get rid of!
Malmz
I have to agree with what seems to be the consensus. If you want the easy way out, price it cheap and take a hit.

You could get your money out parting it out though... but it is also always a gamble.

If you Ebay a car, put tons of photos and be as honest as you can with the details and put as much detail as you know about it. Ebay is a great tool for exposure even if it doesn't sell here.

No offense to these classifieds, because they are still a great selling tool, but everytime I place a car ad here I get tons of overseas scammer emails on it. Not sure why they target these classifieds... must be the Porsche name or ???.

sm
Porsche Rescue
I look at the Club classifieds daily but I think they are not the best way to sell a 914 (I would still use them along with Pelican). Most of us already have 914's. I don't think we get that many non-members shopping here. Parts are a different story because most of us are looking for those. As mentioned above, Ebay is a great international advertising tool and sales often occur after the auction is over.
larryp
Sell it to All State. Leave the keys in it (accidently!) and 30 days later you will have a check.

You do have comprehensive, don't you?
ss6
Larry, shame on you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.