Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the largest displacment engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
I could spend hours on Jakes website. VERY cool. biggrin.gif The search is very helpful but again way too much for my brain to soak in at one sitting.

My question is...

I have read many people love the 2056 and keep the stock FI everyone seems to love this, but how much larger can you go befor you loose the standard FI ?? I am not too engine savvy yet. I am just curious.

Second question is...

Are we talking race engines or can these be daily drivers.

beerchug.gif
biosurfer1
thats about it...2056. 2270 and you need aftermarket EFI/carbs.

I dont think many people use D/L-jet for race cars, but I have been wrong before
messix
d-jet is finiky [spell?] and needs a tune to get it right at 2056cc, and i bet L-jet would be easyer to get right on a 2270cc.

i think mine is a 1911cc [big bore 1.8] with stock L-jet and seems to rum right on, doesn't get hot or stumble, purrs like a kitten.

Bruce Hinds
How may CCs in an Olds 455? A buddy in colorado has done that.
B piratenanner.gif
r_towle
It all depends upon your goals.
Djet and Ljet have been used in some pretty big motors that run and drive on both the street and track.

Rich
Krieger
I've been running my 2270 on the street and a ton of autocrossing for 8 years. It runs incredibly well everywhere. It's been dynoed and doesn't run lean anywhere. I have early 2.0 injectors and MPS. Modified & larger throttle body. mild web-cam designed for injection. The cam is the key. The injection doesn't tolerate much overlap on the cam. 96mm bore, 78 stroke.
r_towle
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Nov 20 2008, 08:07 PM) *

I've been running my 2270 on the street and a ton of autocrossing for 8 years. It runs incredibly well everywhere. It's been dynoed and doesn't run lean anywhere. I have early 2.0 injectors and MPS. Modified & larger throttle body. mild web-cam designed for injection. The cam is the key. The injection doesn't tolerate much overlap on the cam. 96mm bore, 78 stroke.

Interesting...what were you putting out for power on the Dyno?
2270 with the longer 78mm stroke?

Rich
Krieger
118 HP, 151#FT at the crank. It is a torquey sob!
sean_v8_914
whats wrong with it? I got 125 from a 2056. i did not dyno teh 2270 with D jet
Jake Raby
I worked for 14 months to create our 9550 cam that is specific to the stock FI system... During that time I learned that the stock arrangement is maxxed out at around 115HP of output and thats further substantiated by the poster in this thread that mentions his 2270 118HP engine.

I also found that any engine over 2056cc was not optimum for stock FI, because larger engines run out of steam early and that shortens the usable powerband, not something that a 914 appreciates in most applications.

To date no engine combo that utilizes stock FI has impressed me more than the 2056-115. It has 1,500 more usable RPM than stock, 20% more HP and 30% more torque.

I was never impresed with a 2270 with stock FI and I feel that it's too risky for my customers because of the issues that I had during development. Stock FI likes to run lean at peak torque on larger engines and thats typically at cruise RPM with a 914 and with the resolution and lack of adjustability of stock FI this can't be compensated for.

We KNOW that the 2056-115 combo is safe, gets 30+ MPG, runs cool and the changes to the stock FO system can be made easily with 2-4 clicks on the AFM for L jet cars or a couple of trial and error MPS adjustments on a D jet car.

I have hundreds of these combos on the streets and all have receiver rave reviews.

There is always more than one way to "skin a cat" but in my extensive experience the 2056 has the biggest SAFELY attained benefits for the expenditure and tuning differences.

It feels a hell of a lot faster than just 20 HP roo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.