Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Fuel pump..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ONTHEGRIND
I have read a little about the MSD pump. I have an account with them but I figured I'd ask before I but.. Car is a 1.7 FI i want a pump that can grow with the new engine setup.. I guess my old pump took a crap car just cranks no fuel pump is kicking on I think it time for a new one..
r_towle
first check the fuel pump relay and fuse in the relay box behind the driver in the engine bay...that is typically the culprit.

If you need a replacement for stock is three ports and its a bosch part.

If you choose to use the 75/75 two port pump you can choose from several manufacturers.

Bosch, Delco, and a few others.

It needs to pump (from memory) 65 PSI peak and I forget the GPH....
If you go to a decent parts store you will be able to look in the parts book at the specs of the bosch fuel pump and match those...

Rich
swl
I agree with Rich - electrical is a far more likely culprit particularly if it was sudden. With D-Jet you only get a short (1-2second) run of the pump when you turn the key on. That makes it difficult to do the electrical troubleshooting. If this is your first time working through the fuses and relays in the fuel system just sing out - we'll help you find some old threads that shows you how to work through it.

If you are convinced the electrical is good tap it with a hammer.
ONTHEGRIND
QUOTE(swl @ Nov 20 2008, 06:47 PM) *

I agree with Rich - electrical is a far more likely culprit particularly if it was sudden. With D-Jet you only get a short (1-2second) run of the pump when you turn the key on. That makes it difficult to do the electrical troubleshooting. If this is your first time working through the fuses and relays in the fuel system just sing out - we'll help you find some old threads that shows you how to work through it.

If you are convinced the electrical is good tap it with a hammer.

r_towle
Do yourself a favor.

start backwards.
Make up two jumpers and jumper the pump right from the battery.
If the pump works, its the relay.

Easier test.
If your headlights pop open, those relay are good.
They are the same relay.
Remove the relay from the front trunk (under a plastic cover next to the headlight)
Use that relay to replace the fuel pump relay in the relay panel in the engine bay.

Rich
Cevan
If you have to replace the pump, isn't a two port pump a lot cheaper than a 3 port pump?
ONTHEGRIND
Relay is brand new I am gonna go to HPH in redwood city.. And swap it for a rebuild.. I just got the car and I would feel alot better knowing I have a new pump and lines under my butt If I hook up the new pump and it doesnt work I am gonna have to use these methods... Fuel pump relay is brand new.. I swapped it and still no pump I am pulling it and then on my way to HPH I need some shifter bushings anyhow..
r_towle
did you test the pump with a battery...a simple test for one second will not hurt it.

Rich
ONTHEGRIND
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 21 2008, 12:13 PM) *

did you test the pump with a battery...a simple test for one second will not hurt it.

Rich

Rich I did and the pump worked I still took it down to hph and exchanged it for a new one.. I am going to wire up a manual switch somehow with the new pump one of the fuel lines broke when I was pulling the pump out so now I gotta replace the small hoses that attach to the pump..

I also picked up a set of del lorto carbs know where I can find a carb installation guide..?
tod914
Not sure if this was covered, but did you check the fuze on the relay board? It is for the pump and the AAR. If the AAR is shorting out, it will blow the fuze.
ONTHEGRIND
All the fuses are good..

I kinda have a new question I just got a get of delltoro carbs.. They are 45's though which are probably a little bit big for a stock 1971 1.7 I plan on slapping them on with a new set of heads that I am gonna be doing next week.. I just went to HPH in Redwood city and got a new fuel pump which is stock replacement will this pump not work with the carbs or should I see if I can exchange it for a carb pump.. I also plan to wire in a manual fuel pump switch with what ever pump I may use..

Thanks
Dave
Ericv1
QUOTE(ONTHEGRIND @ Nov 21 2008, 09:55 PM) *

All the fuses are good..

I kinda have a new question I just got a get of delltoro carbs.. They are 45's though which are probably a little bit big for a stock 1971 1.7 I plan on slapping them on with a new set of heads that I am gonna be doing next week.. I just went to HPH in Redwood city and got a new fuel pump which is stock replacement will this pump not work with the carbs or should I see if I can exchange it for a carb pump.. I also plan to wire in a manual fuel pump switch with what ever pump I may use..

Thanks
Dave

A stock pump for fuel injection is too much pressure for carbs. You'll definately flood the engine and then some. You need a fuel pump for carbs that generates about 4-5psi.
ONTHEGRIND
QUOTE(Ericv1 @ Nov 21 2008, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ONTHEGRIND @ Nov 21 2008, 09:55 PM) *

All the fuses are good..

Thanks
Dave

A stock pump for fuel injection is too much pressure for carbs. You'll definately flood the engine and then some. You need a fuel pump for carbs that generates about 4-5psi.

Good to know I am gonna get the brand new stock pump in tommarow get her running and order the cb fuel pump.. Next week the carbs and heads will go on I may be able to toss in a set of elgins bump sticks in. I will have a write up on the cylinder head/carb and manifold porting and coating...

I like to play with the grinder
Some pics of my other project..
IPB Image
IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.