Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail panel reflector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shelby/914
I just had the car painted and decided to leave the reflector on it. Now in the process of reassembeling it and was wondering if there a way to add some sort of trip wire to the electric solenoid as a back up. I know that ENGMAN has a manual kit to replace it but mine has been working for years.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dave_Darling
Drill a hole in the solenoid release's arm. Thread a cable through it. Drill another hole in the trunk floor over the muffler. Thread both ends of the cable through it. Fill the hole with a grommet, or just some silicone goop. Make sure the ends of the cable are tucked out of sight somewhere.

Pulling down on the release arm should cause the latch to let go. Make sure to test this first.

Demick has a trick setup where he put a lock tumbler in where the towing plug was in the bumper. Turn the lock with the key, it completes the circuit and pops the solenoid. Pretty cool!!

--DD
r_towle
The old school trick was to drill a very small hole in the reflector...more than a 1/16 but less than a 1/8
The hole is big enough for one of the really small t handle allen wrenches.

If the hole is drilled in the right place, you put the allen wrench in and push it gently...it opens the trunk.

Rich
boxstr
I had the cable through the trunk floor on JLO, worked great.
CCLINRELEASEME
effutuo101
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 20 2008, 10:54 PM) *

Drill a hole in the solenoid release's arm. Thread a cable through it. Drill another hole in the trunk floor over the muffler. Thread both ends of the cable through it. Fill the hole with a grommet, or just some silicone goop. Make sure the ends of the cable are tucked out of sight somewhere.

Pulling down on the release arm should cause the latch to let go. Make sure to test this first.

--DD

agree.gif
That is the best way. I had a small hole in mine that if I needed to, I could put a coat hanger into and release the latch. a cable that hangs down behind the bumper that can be reached in a pinch is the best.
cobra94563
I have hole just below the reflector, smaller than 1/8 in. Use a stiff wire and release the latch to open.
shelby/914
Thanks guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.