Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Online parts search tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
Ahhh, Friday

I put together a Porsche parts search page over at Yahoo Pipes, which is a pretty kick-ass RSS feed agregator/manipulator. What sets it apart is the visual design paradigm you utilize to create a "pipe" (click the 'View Source' button to check it out). But that's all behind the scenes ~ from a user's standpoint it just behaves like a stripped-down, no frills search engine. What motivated me to create this particular pipe was my frustration when searching for 914 parts - depending on where I found the part number, the delimiters often varied or would be non-existent. For example:

914-332-237-01
914 332 237 01

Depending on which of those you drop into Google, you'll get a different set of results. The pipe that I put together solves the problem - you can drop any one of those formats into the search field and it will search for all four formats. At the same time it will filter duplicate matches. Voila, parts search on steroids!

You can find it here, and I've added it to my signature as well. I use it all the time, but if even one other person finds it useful it was worth the effort of putting together this post. smile.gif

Here's to Friday! beerchug.gif

Reid
MartyYeoman
Porche? poke.gif
smontanaro
Very cool.
Eric_Shea
I used to use toliet paper tubes and aluminum foil to create pipes... blink.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 21 2008, 11:12 AM) *
What motivated me to create this particular pipe was my frustration when searching for 914 parts - depending on where I found the part number, the delimiters often varied or would be non-existent.

agree.gif That has always been a PITA.
736conver
Already been done.

Pelican parts search engine.

scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 22 2008, 06:39 AM) *

Coke cans..........ahem COCA COLA cans..............
Lavanaut
QUOTE(736conver @ Nov 23 2008, 09:22 AM) *

Already been done.

Pelican parts search engine.

Really? PP's searches across the web? Interesting business decision. Can you provide a link?...I've certainly never come across it on their site.
CliffBraun
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 23 2008, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 22 2008, 06:39 AM) *

Coke cans..........ahem COCA COLA cans..............

How about an apple? Then you have a tasty treat after.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.