Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best price for adjustable sway bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
Does anyone have a suggestion, outside of the usual (Pelican, Performance Products) sources?

Thanks,

C:>
blitZ
I have the Weltmeister 22mm, which works great. I picked mine up used on Ebay. When you are searching keep in mind the same bar fits an early 911.
So.Cal.914
I have the Weltmeister 22mm, which works great.

I have the same one. What a difference. smile.gif
rick 918-S
I made mine but I still have not had the time to install it. I need to make the drop down links. I used 1" 4130 tubing. Same stuff they use on light air frames and race chassis. I made a jig for welding up the arms.

Click to view attachment

I thought about making these for resale. I thought I'd call them Alien bars. assimilate.gif

Here's the bar. The ends slide off. Notice the graphite bushings. They will have a hardened bolt securing the end.

Click to view attachment

I just realized by the date on the photo that it's been over a year since I made this. confused24.gif

My work schedule has not allowed me the time to finish my own Alien bar much less make any extras.
Carlitos Way
DUUUUDE!!!! You're way too talented for me!!! I just need more of a "bolt on" solution.

Thanks for sharing tho.. that looks like a GREAT project!
So.Cal.914
I made mine

Looks good, but I am curious. How does it install? Does one side come off? And does it give at all or is ir rigid in a corner?
Krieger
I have a weltmeister 22mm. Get the 22, you can adjust it for less. Depending on your use you can "max out" the 19mm.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 21 2008, 05:25 PM) *

I made mine

Looks good, but I am curious. How does it install? Does one side come off? And does it give at all or is ir rigid in a corner?

It's thin wall 1" (25.4mm?) tube with a 2" long bar stock plug in each end to make a solid core for the through bolt. It's 4130 so yes it will flex torsionally. The bar is installed through the body then arms slide on over the ends of the bar. They are pinned with a hardened through bolt The same as other 914 bars. They are not hard to make or weld. I've done lots of reading on airframe web sites about welding 4130. Most all the techs promoted gas welding over tig as the metal cools too fast with tig and becomes to weak point. So anyone with patiences and fore thought can make a bar. My test bar is a little heavy. But it's the first one.

So, you wanted cheap. This is cheap. shades.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 21 2008, 06:43 PM) *

I made mine

It's thin wall 1" (25.4mm?) tube with a 2" long bar stock plug in each end to make a solid core for the through bolt. It's 4130 so yes it will flex torsionally. The bar is installed through the body then arms slide on over the ends of the bar. They are pinned with a hardened through bolt The same as other 914 bars. They are not hard to make or weld. I've done lots of reading on airframe web sites about welding 4130. Most all the techs promoted gas welding over tig as the metal cools too fast with tig and becomes to weak point. So anyone with patiences and fore thought can make a bar. My test bar is a little heavy. But it's the first one.

Ok, makes sense. When you run it post an update on its performance.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 21 2008, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 21 2008, 06:43 PM) *

I made mine

Ok, makes sense. When you run it post an update on its performance.

Sure, Spring is right around the corner.... dry.gif
BMXerror
My solution.... kind of a half-do-it-yourself thing.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...76333&st=70
I priced it out down the page a bit, but I didn't count the $50,000 CNC mill that I used to drill and tap the arms. biggrin.gif That can be done with a hand drill and layout tools, however, or if you know/are a michinist.... Hope that gives you some ideas. Just don't think you're restricted to stock, Tarrett, or Weltmeister.
Mark D.
rick 918-S
Nice work Mark! Nice write up. That got me inspired to get back on my bar project. I have a front clip for trial fit. I think I'm going to have to drag it into the garage and drill some holes. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Nov 21 2008, 11:10 PM) *

My solution.... kind of a half-do-it-yourself thing.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...76333&st=70
I priced it out down the page a bit, but I didn't count the $50,000 CNC mill that I used to drill and tap the arms. biggrin.gif That can be done with a hand drill and layout tools, however, or if you know/are a michinist.... Hope that gives you some ideas. Just don't think you're restricted to stock, Tarrett, or Weltmeister.
Mark D.

Nice work, but couldn't you have made it adjustable? tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.