Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche's '09 PDK in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
So I want another 914-6 after a ten plus years lapse of ownership. The issue is that I am over 50 now and want a 6 the wife and I can enjoy taking for long rides on the weekends.

I am going to probably put a stock 997 3.6 motor in it and have, since reading the article in Excellence, been considering the PDK transmission......if it would fit. Does anyone here have a clue if that is even a likely option? Thoughts are appreciated and yes, I know how much fun it is going through the gears, with or without a clutch.

This is a project that I hope to start about one year from now and I want to have a pretty good idea of what the car is going to be before I begin the actual project. The other big issue is I am really stuck on buying a "914" vin car so that I have a true six. The conflict I have is knowing I am going to swap out the original engine and transmission (if the one I end up buying has the original units) and add factory GT flares and some other goodies to make it a comfortable ride. I would like to know general feelings about doing that with a "914" vin opposed to a "4" vin. Please don't flame me for thinking out loud.
sww914
I wouldn't cut holes in a real 6 for radiators and water hoses.
PeeGreen 914
With the value of the six climbing I would do this myself to a real six. I would buy a six someone has already done correctly, with a bulkhead mount, and do this to that car as you should already be most of the wat there. It will save you much money and still be what you are looking for.

Now you could put a stock 993 engine in there and do well without needing to cut any holes for the waterlines etc.
Bruce Hinds
It's all about driving isn't it? If you are going to cut, don't waste an origional 6.
B
bryanc
I don't know if anyone has even put a 997 motor in a 914, much less the PDK. Next on the list is turning the PDK around for mid-engine list...

It would be a fun project, but lots of welder.gif headbang.gif sawzall-smiley.gif and time.
Eric_Shea
Anything can be done $$$

At the level of build you are talking, there really is no difference between a -4 tub and a -6 tub with the exception of braggin rights. I would venture to say the final resale value would change one way or the other.

Not only would you have to cut holes but you would have to strengthen the chassis considerably to make our little "Flexi-Flyer" liveable with that powerplant.

While it's a glorious conversion, just one that I would hate to see made at the sake of a real six.

Find a nice -4 tub, have it soda blasted and get-a-engineer'n.
IronHillRestorations
Jorg Austen at Porsche told me that before Piech left Porsche, Austen was to put one of the new PDK transmissions in Piech's 914-8, but Piech left the company before the project was ever started. That was probably around '72 though.

You'd be better off just to get the new Porsche with the PDK, in the long run it would be cheaper and less headaches.
Cairo94507
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 22 2008, 08:50 AM) *

You'd be better off just to get the new Porsche with the PDK, in the long run it would be cheaper and less headaches.

That's not what I want though. I have owned several Carrera coupes. I really want the sleeper appeal and uniqueness of the 914-6. I will admit I forgot (been a while since I owned a P-car, last time was my '97 993 C2S which I sold in 2004.) about the radiators and water lines. But my last six had a 3.0 CIS with a front mounted oil cooler with lines running to the front of the car. I am concerned about taking a stock 6 apart to add a newer engine/transmission, etc. I have seriously considered a 4 tub. Although I could do a 993 motor in a 6. I guess it all depends upon what I end up finding when I am ready to buy.

I think a 6 with a stock 993 motor and newer transaxle, suspension, brakes with GT flares would be a good driver......
Chris Hamilton
I'm personally a fan of the v8 in a 914.

I have driven and worked on both a 3.6L 914 and v8 914, so I'm not just speculating.

The points that make it attractive to me are:
-Better Sound ( that's a matter of opinion )
-Smallblock Chevy v8 is Lighter than a 993 3.6 Engine
-Good running smallblock is more powerful than a 993 3.6 Engine.
-Smallblock is many times less expensive than a 993 3.6 Engine.

And the final point for me, and the biggest:

- The smallblock in a 914 is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to work on and fit in the car. The SBC in a 914 is easier to work on than the 4-cylinder 914 engine! Contrast that to the 3.6 where you have so much stuff there is almost nothing you can access without dropping the engine.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 22 2008, 01:57 PM) *

I think a 6 with a stock 993 motor ... would be a good driver

I've got one of those ... shades.gif

I went with a '95 993 motor just because i wanted to keep it air-cooled.

And i'm still running a bone stock 901 transmission.
bye1.gif Andy
pete-stevers
is the 3.6 heavier than a 3.0 or 3.2 by much
r_towle
QUOTE(bryanc @ Nov 22 2008, 03:07 AM) *

I don't know if anyone has even put a 997 motor in a 914, much less the PDK. Next on the list is turning the PDK around for mid-engine list...

It would be a fun project, but lots of welder.gif headbang.gif sawzall-smiley.gif and time.

2009 Boxster and Cayman both come with the PDK transmission...its already turned around at that point....right?

Rich
davep
Good original sixes are hard to come by and do demand a premium.
I would find a not-so-pristine six and fix it up the way you want. That way you would save a six, have a six, and have it the way you want it.
I am all for keeping great original sixes as original as possible. However, those that are not concours original candidates are suitable for upgrading.
Cairo94507
To be honest that is the way I kind of want to go. I would like to find a six in need of attention and make her a beautiful six again. piratenanner.gif
Dave_Darling
IIRC, the Boxster and 996 engines interfere with the inboard rear suspension mounting points. I would bet that the 997 ones do as well...

So I'm guessing that the general outline of the project would be:
- Cut the back off of a 914-6
- Weld the rear half of a Boxster in
- Mount up the 997 engine/trans to the Boxster parts
- Do the six million man-hours of work required to make everything play nice together

Oh, and the last step: Laugh at people like me who claimed that it wasn't worth it...

--DD
McMark
Get a four and convert it. I worked on a real six that was supposed to get a aircooled 3.6 motor (project got cancelled because of $$$). It was a REAL shame to attack that car and I always wondered if the stock six motor mount would be up to the power of the 3.6. It's your money, it's your dream car, so I urge you to do whatever you want. But if it were my money and my dream, I'd get a 4 chassis for dirt cheap and put the thousands I'd save into some other aspect of the car. wink.gif

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing progress pictures as you get started!
Cairo94507
Well at this point I am still trying to decide what the tub will be. When I get ready to buy, hopefully next year at this time, I hope I will be able to find a six tub in need of some love and care.

Until then I will be compiling a list of the things I want to do to the project so I can set a realistic budget.

Also, I really want to make it a rotisserie build- so soda-blast, complete rust repair, strengthening that is not readily visible on the surface, flares, paint, etc.

I can't help but want a Patrick Motorsports car ( I have no affiliation with them) after touring their shop and seeing their work in progress on other cars. Anyone like that in the CA Bay Area? I would like it to be local so I can meet regularly with them while the work is in progress but could fly to AZ if necessary.
PanelBilly
I might be interested in building you a body, if that's not part of the project you wanted to do yourself. If you've seen any of my threads, you'll know how anal I can be about quality bodywork and paint.

Cairo94507
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 25 2008, 07:59 AM) *

I might be interested in building you a body, if that's not part of the project you wanted to do yourself. If you've seen any of my threads, you'll know how anal I can be about quality bodywork and paint.

I am kind of new to this forum and appreciate your offer. I will have to look for some of your build threads. Thank you very much.
EdwardBlume
If you can afford it, building what you want can be a long but satisfying quest. It will be fun to see you do it!!! beer.gif
Cairo94507
That is the just one of the things I have given serious thought. I really like the in-progress threads showing the restoration of these wonderful cars which first captured my heart back in 1970. I would like to do it myself, but considering what it is I want the end product to look like, run like and handle like.....I just think I have been out of cars for a little to long to tackle the project. What I essentially want when it is done, is a new, arguably improved 914-6. I know the level of craftsmanship I expect and do not believe I am capable of actually doing that level of work and having the car done before I turn 60 sad.gif so I can still get in it and drive it.

OH- that is Roxanne (look left) my 14 month old miniature dachshund who is soon to be joined by her sister, Maddi in our home because her owner can't keep her. So I will have sister dachshunds. That, in and of itself, will keep my wife and I busy.
wbergtho
Sounds like you are going to build a very nice six. You want a top shelf result with a modern high performance 993 motor, GT flared and so on. I'll be watching for this car as the build progresses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.