Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooling Fan Air Outlets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
I've done a search on this topic and came up with 2 different answers, so I'll start the ? over. All of my heat piping, hoses, exhangers, etc. are removed from my 2.0L (running no heat). What do I do with the 2 cooling fan air outlets.....plug them or leave open??

Paul
Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
If you check the archives, you'll find the answer is "Plug 'em".

The Cap'n
AvalonFal
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 22 2008, 10:46 AM) *

If you check the archives, you'll find the answer is "Plug 'em".

The Cap'n

I checked the archives. The answers are contradictory. Some say plug them. Some say DON'T plug them because of uneven head temperature issues. Some even say "partially" plug them. Even the latest post just a few months didn't end with a consensus on what to do. An unresolved question, so I ask it again.

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
OK. I say "plug 'em" because any air escaping there won't go over the engine to cool it. Perhaps Jake will comment. He has more current engine specific experience than I. The Cap'n
futuresoptions
I plugged mine, ran my car in 100+ heat never had any issues.. I also deleted my tstat and modded the cooling flap wide open... Wouldn't figure you could get away with that in NJ though....
Gint
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Nov 22 2008, 09:58 AM) *
I checked the archives. The answers are contradictory. Some say plug them. Some say DON'T plug them because of uneven head temperature issues. Some even say "partially" plug them. Even the latest post just a few months didn't end with a consensus on what to do. An unresolved question, so I ask it again.

I've read 'bout all of those threads. There are a lot of opinions on the subject. The outcome this time will be exactly the same. smile.gif

Good luck and a icon_bump.gif
Drums66
I'm running mine the same way .......no heat
straight pipes ect. and I plug them, no cooling issues!
all the mechanic's in the know say*plug them*

What i'd like to get is decent ideas of what to plug them with?
Jake Raby
The system is designed to have a constant volume loss through the heaterboxes, as air cools them in the summer even with the heat off.

I have engines with 100K on the clock, at 175 HP that have had them open since the day the engine was fired for the first time. On our race engines we also leave them open.

The results I have seen with them pluged is a CHT differential thats eklevated across all 4 cylinders.

I won't make a recommendation, only tell you what I do and why I choose to do it. if the system wasn't designed with the constant volume loss I could see that plugging them would make sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.