Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What 911 front suspension to use....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
futuresoptions
Okay, after searching the data base and reading several threads, I am very confused... First off let me give you an idea of what I am hoping to accomplish in my build. and first off let me say that I am knowledgable on Porsche's, but when it comes to knowing what parts interchange on different models, or which ones might be best I am clueless... I know that I want to go with a 5 lug setup on my car and would like to up grade the front brakes at the same time. Sort of killing two birds with one stone when I purchase my 911 front suspension. I plan on purchasing turbo tie rods and upgrade the struts to whatever suspension I purchase. So tell me what 911 suspension you would choose and the reasons why.
This will help me make my decision, and I can therefore add this to my list. I would prefer something that does not require extensive modification, but do not mind some. I am more concerened about the setup being beefed up over stock, and the luxury of having upgraded braking over stock with stock 911 components. I also like the idea of being able to upgrade the 911 brakes that come on the suspension in the future... As I will probably be buying this setup off of a parts car someone would have, it is better for me to know a specific year/model to choose, as I really don't want to mismatch year/models to come up with a custom setup... Thanks in advance for your replies...
burton73
As far as the front goes it is easy. These are just bolt up and drive. Now that is saying that the components are all good. Back in 1979 I bolted up a 1978 911SC front in my 1974 2.0 and it was unreal. Just plug and play, but that was a very fresh Front end. Prices I will not swear by. I have an 86 Carrera now and there are plenty of brakes for the heaver car. When you change out your rears to 914-6 with E’s V kits you will be fine. Not sure what year it started but the 78 911 SC on to late 80’s Carrera had aluminum center braces and build in sway bar.

Bob

This is up now for $995. Buy it now.
This auction is for the exact 1986 911 front suspension you see. It came out of a stock very nice rear end accident 86 targa, ( we have 3 84-86 targas in this week alone)! It is guaranteed straight and free of any defects. We offer these as an alternative for the 914 guys and earlier 911 projects who want the bigger hubs and brakes.

This went on Ebay for $1,850 on the 20th. Here it is!!! A Factory 930 front suspension complete with everything! Ready to bolt on to your 911! This came off a 1986 model with 36K miles on the clock! Four Piston Monster Brembo Calipers and the big factory drilled rotors. This is the perfect add-on to any supension upgrade!
futuresoptions
E's V kits???
MrKona
QUOTE(futuresoptions @ Nov 22 2008, 12:52 PM) *

E's V kits???

Here you go...

V-kit
burton73
You can get E at PMB Performance to fix you up with you rear caliper Vented rotor kit. Ad this to a 914-6 caliper and you will have a 914-6 Gt rear set up. You will need stub axels and more parts but that will be great for rear braking plus you will have a parking break and a 5 lug set up.

Bob
futuresoptions
Thanks for the info so far guys... So I will have to find some 914-6 calipers along with the V kit and various other parts to do the rears, is there that much difference to the SC front compared to the turbo front suspension. Especially if I put turbo tie rods onto the SC... Why the difference in cost, and is the turbo front end worth the added expense..what say you...
burton73
The turbo has the big calipers and drilled disks and the Turbo tie rods. If they are in good shape. Remember they came out of a car that cost much more as a used car. You could also get an early 911-pre SC suspension and get S brakes. The cost of rebuilding these is a great deal of money if they need it. PMB did my early S brakes from my 914-6 and they cost more than the full front 86 Carrera suspension on Ebay. They where sitting for 18 years and had a lot of rust in the pistons.

If the set on Ebay β€œIt is guaranteed straight and free of any defects. We offer these as an alternative for the 914 guys and earlier 911 projects who want the bigger hubs and brakes.” This may not be a bad way to go.

You could save money on the rear with staying with the 914 – 4 set up changed over to 5 lug with the vented kit but I would go for the 914-6 stuff and do it the right way. You may do this in 2 steps to save money ask PMB on the rear.

Bob
Eric_Shea
My favorites are:

Koni struts or Bilstein struts with S-Calipers and 914-6/GT rear calipers.

Just like Bob has. wink.gif

The calipers are expensive all the way around.
r_towle
If you go with the 935 front suspension (tarrett engineering)
You can add camber boxes (CFR Welding)

That will get you to coil overs with loads more adjustments than the stock setup.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.