Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tarett rear coilover install question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
Hi I am trying to do a rear coilover install using the Tarett eng. pieces.

I am unsure of how the top of the shock piece goes togetehr ,do I need to use any of the stock pieces?

Does anyone have pictures of how it goes?
bfrymire
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Nov 22 2008, 12:46 PM) *

Hi I am trying to do a rear coilover install using the Tarett eng. pieces.

I am unsure of how the top of the shock piece goes togetehr ,do I need to use any of the stock pieces?

Does anyone have pictures of how it goes?

Hello,

I installed the similar kit. I got it from Jonathan, who now is running GPR. You might be able to ask him about it. I don't have any picutres, and I am not sure if I installed it correctly. Mine uses Bilstein shocks...

If I get some time today or tomorrow, I will take some pics.

-- brett
echocanyons
here is what I am wondering, the top picture is everything that cam with the kit, the bottom is using the stock snubber and the stock top piece.

Do I use the stock top piece with this?, I would like to ues the snubber but I don't know if it is intended to be used without it.
echocanyons
si I threw this thing together and the only way I could get it too work was using the stock top piece, without it the bolt had nothing to stop at the body end.
J P Stein
Dunno if this will help as the set-up is not from Tarett. It took some mods to make it work.
r_towle
what is holding the lower spring perch in place? IC a few hole that I assume are for a custom wrench, but once you get it set at the height you want, what keeps it there?

Also, what keeps the threaded portion from turning while you adjust it?

Rich
sixnotfour
One hand, set screw nylon or brass tipped
bfrymire
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Nov 22 2008, 01:09 PM) *

here is what I am wondering, the top picture is everything that cam with the kit, the bottom is using the stock snubber and the stock top piece.

Do I use the stock top piece with this?, I would like to ues the snubber but I don't know if it is intended to be used without it.

that is about how mine is put together. When the car is on the ground, everything works. I am worried that if the suspension goes off load, like from a large bump at speed, the suspension will float, and may not come back in the desired place. In other words, the hat may not seat in the top of the spring.

I am running mine with out the bump stop at the moment. (250lb springs.)

-- brett
J P Stein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 22 2008, 07:12 PM) *

One hand, set screw nylon or brass tipped

Mine has a rubber gizmo twixt the set screw & threaded body.

I use safety wire (multiple wraps) to hold the spring up against the hat. Mine are 10 inch springs (275 or 300 inch/lbs) where the subject springs appear to be 8 inchers. I had to put the upper barrel nut inside the hat to make them work.
As I said, the set-ups are a little different.

Here's a shot of things all hangy-down. The springs reseat on the perches, trust me. biggrin.gif
echocanyons
Good information and very helpful.

Aside from drilling a hole in the hat I don't see any way with this setup to control (as brought up earlier) the spring/hat seat in the case of an unloaded suspension.

What would be the potential hazards of this in a driving situation?
J P Stein
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Nov 23 2008, 02:07 PM) *

Good information and very helpful.

Aside from drilling a hole in the hat I don't see any way with this setup to control (as brought up earlier) the spring/hat seat in the case of an unloaded suspension.

What would be the potential hazards of this in a driving situation?

I'm surprised there are no holes for the wire/whatever in the hats. Ira is normally pretty thorough. Mine came with holes drilled. There is nothing on the hats to guide the springs back into place on the upper end.....near as I can see. I'd drill holes 2 holes, 180 deg apart on each. I did with my stock style springs & hats.
I can't give you the odds of of the things coming adrift on the street. Not high I suspect.
On our AX venue it was likely, now proven. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.