Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '75/'76 bumper change out to early chrome or '74
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
c12croft
Besides compromising it's identity as a '76, how hard is it to swap out bumper systems?
914Sixer
Check the classic threads. There is lots of info on this conversion.
richardmosselman
Hi all. I'm looking for the same info. I looked in the "Lapuwali' classic threads but couldn't find anything. I don't really know how to use the reg search. I've put in 'bumper backdate' but nothing really specific came up. Are there any tricks to use to narrow a search? Thanks, Richard
wbergtho
I just back dated my 76 with a pair of early FG bumpers (tops molded in). You will have to drill new holes in the front & rear panels to accept stock early bumpers. You may have to remove the flanges that hold the late 75/76 rubber bumper covers to the body and plug the old heavy duty shock hardware holes. A pretty simple conversion.
So.Cal.914
Boxstr wrote a great thread about this. Maybe add his name to your search. It will answer all your Q's.
Kirmizi
I recently completed a bumper backdate on my '75.
Pretty easy actually, take your time and Viola!
Search "Bumper Backdate" in one form or another and you should get some results. Excellent write-up!
Mike
tod914
GT style bumpers are a real nice option.
gklinger
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Nov 22 2008, 05:56 PM) *

I just back dated my 76 with a pair of early FG bumpers (tops molded in). You will have to drill new holes in the front & rear panels to accept stock early bumpers. You may have to remove the flanges that hold the late 75/76 rubber bumper covers to the body and plug the old heavy duty shock hardware holes. A pretty simple conversion.

That's a decent looking bumper - who's the source? Did they require much modification to get them to fit?
richardmosselman
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Nov 22 2008, 11:12 PM) *

I recently completed a bumper backdate on my '75.
Pretty easy actually, take your time and Viola!
Search "Bumper Backdate" in one form or another and you should get some results. Excellent write-up!
Mike

Aha! Haven't searched much before. I put the search words in quotation marks and it worked like a charm. Thanks, R
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.