Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six Guys - Who's put an alternator in place of a generator?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Looking for some wiring advice.

I'm still undoing what the "top-notch" local race shop did. I have a later alternator on the 2.5 (anticipating when it will go in the GT and drive many big lights up front). The 2.5 is currently sitting in the 911 while I get the gumption to build the 3.0 MFI motor.

The problem is, the dash (old generator) light is on 24/7.

Anybody BTDT with a later alternator in the generator slot?
johnlush
I'm not aware of a generator ever being used in a Porsche six. There was a change where (Late '70's???) the alternator went from being externally regulated to internally regulated. There is a tech bulletin on that that I have if that's what you have going. Somewhere (Pelican?) there is a great description of all of the possible scenarios of the dash light being on - or off - when it shouldn't.
sixnotfour
beer3.gif If they went to an internal regulated alternator,here is the fix
Eric_Shea
Thanks John... that's what I meant.

Thanks Jeff... that should be all I need (well, that and the wheels you just got)!! biggrin.gif

E.
Cap'n Krusty
You have to put in the whole enchilada, fan ring, fan, and alternator. Just dealt with swapping an early (2.7) fan ring into a later car, and it involves cutting the alternator support part of the ring to take a later alternator. Late fan rings are NLA (this car's an '87), and any used one you find is apt to be cracked, according to the guys at Parts Heaven. The Cap'n
sixnotfour
Eric does your belt track straight (or perpindicular to the crank)
If it dont like the Capt. says you need the ring machined deeper.
Eric_Shea
Straight as an arrow. I already have the entire enchilada meal deal in there. The shop just buggered up the wiring. I have two more complete assemblies on the shelf as well. I'm almost as big of a pack rat as... well, you know who you are!

biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 23 2008, 08:33 PM) *

Straight as an arrow. I already have the entire enchilada meal deal in there. The shop just buggered up the wiring. I have two more complete assemblies on the shelf as well. I'm almost as big of a pack rat as... well, you know who you are!

biggrin.gif

av-943.gif I doubt that... maybe I'll come out there and tell you if your close wink.gif and I really don't know the full extent of who you're reffering to either... just the surface aktion035.gif Where I hope to be when I grow up laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.