Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shocks, Struts, Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mojorisen914
Title and Description sums it up.
Gearing up to swap out the rear springs, shocks, and struts while I'm home next month. I was wondering if this can be done without having to perform a 4 wheel alignment or should I prepare to spend some more money?

Thanks all.
914Sixer
I would. When was the last time you had it done? The new rear springs and shocks will change the car height and possibly balance.
Krieger
You should do it.
r_towle
you have to.
It changes you camber angle.
It does not always change your toe, but it can depending upon the spings and struts.

Rich
mojorisen914
Thanks guys. I guess deep down I may have already knew the answer. I guess the next thing for me to do would to be to find a place around KC that could do this. What's the going rate for a 4 wheel alignment where everyone lives; just want an idea. Thanks again.
sww914
$60.00 for a quick and dirty, $250.00 for an adjust everything possible and corner balance.
Get some used rear trailing arm shims and take them with you to the alignment shop. They won't have any. There are 3 thicknesses of the shims, get at least 2 of each.
r_towle
On the shims...If you cant find used, Engman makes new ones.
Look him up in the classified/member vendor forum.

Also, on the rear trailing arm bolts that retain the shims there are plastic covers on the tops of each bolt to keep the crap out of the hole.
Remove them and fill them with PB blaster for a few days prior to going to the alignment shop.

If you have an impact gun you may want to loosen and then tighten each one.
If you dont have an impact gun, let the alignment shop loosen them.
Impact is less likely to break the bolt, a long cheater bar WILL break the bolt...

Rich
mojorisen914
Good deal. I just bought an impact wrench the other day off the web. Good idea about using the Blaster(miracle stuff IMHO) and loosening and tightening before I go to the alignment shop. I'm hoping I can get everything I have planned for the car while I'm home on vacation. Hell, I'm even flying another member in to help me. I should be having a good thread with pics on here sometime in the middle of January for all to see. Thanks again guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.