Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mini high torque starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914helo
Where are people getting their starters from these days? My mini high torque starter I bought off evilbay didn't last very long. I don't want to replace with a stock starter as I've got a high compression Suby engine. Any recommendations? Thanks
Joe Ricard
My evil bay starter is starting to piss me off also.

I might bring it to the car electric repair place in town. he can virtually fix anything.

Carlitos Way
I believe Renegade Hybrids sells these. Don't know what kind of warranty they might offer, but they do carry one.

C:>
Mark Henry
The 911 has a stronger starter.
I only need a hi-torque starter for the first roll over on a higher CR engine.
r_towle
I recall that I heard somewhere that the high torque starters for our 914's are actually a mitsubishi starter with the base mount flipped over to clear the floor.

If that is the case, any parts store will have it..and its not custom.

Rich
SLITS
The mini-starters are indeed Jap reduction gear starters. Generally, a new nose for them is machined.

Best of the bunch is ProLine Performance Industries ... Parker, AZ. His name is Ron and his phone number is (928) 669-6411.

Don't expect to get the product for $119. He will be in the $170+ range. They will fit and do exactly what they are supposed to do.
Chris Hamilton
Pelican Parts

I've bought like a half dozen of them from there and they're awesome. They start my friends 3.6 nicely too.
rfuerst911sc
Porsche OEM Bosch SR68X is a high torque starter that should crank over a high compression motor. I just picked up a rebuilt one off fleabay for $42.00 biggrin.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Nov 26 2008, 01:51 PM) *

Pelican Parts

I've bought like a half dozen of them from there and they're awesome. They start my friends 3.6 nicely too.

I too use this one for my V8 race car. I literally burned the stock starter up just trying to turn the V8 over for the first fire up hahahaha.

Pelican sells IMI Hi Torques, which you can probably buy directly from them

http://www.hitorque.com

I have never shopped the direct price, I tend to buy stuff from Pelican and Patrick to do my part to make sure I have a good parts supplier still open 10 yrs from now wink.gif but price is price, so you might want to call Hi Torque direct and compare to Pelican. Shipping should be the same since they are both essentially in LA.

I have used mine for a few years and thought it burned up recently but turns out the car just decided to stop grounding the starter well confused24.gif completely out of the blue so i bought a brand new one. Well, short story is I have a backup and a ground wire from the starter directly to the chassis laugh.gif

edit - oh yeah, important point I forgot to make - I turn the engine over until I have good oil pressure before I fire it since I tend to only fire it up once a month. Key to that is I run that starter motor non-stop for a lot longer than a simple fire up, which is waaayyyy harder on them than just firing a car up with a couple of cranks, so I abuse the shit out of mine and it has been spot on every time.
orange914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 25 2008, 11:55 AM) *

The mini-starters are indeed Jap reduction gear starters. Generally, a new nose for them is machined.

my evil bay high torque had to be shimmed away from the ring gear, it engauged too far. this seems to be a common issue. i ran some white lube on the gear teeth to confirm the correct pattern. i'll be putting on the stock starter soon, now the new motor is in. the high torque gear contact just doesn't sound like the stock one. anyone interested in an almost new high torque (w/ a 0.40 custom shim)

mike
brer
You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.

smile.gif
ThinAir
I've had very good performance from my eBay hi-torque starter. It appears that there may be a difference between what the various vendors are selling.

The vendor info for mine is in this thread that I found by searching for "high torque starter".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.